Harry Wilson

Has a Eddie signing ever happened when it’s dragged on this long ?....Melpham maybe . Guessing the club has moved on unless the injury situation has made us more desperate .. us buying Liverpool players in desperation . Say it ain’t so .

Has this dragged on that long?

Philip Billing discussed that he had wanted the deal done early enough to join the training camp in Spain but couldn’t in the end.

Most deals take a while to complete.

why not?

if the budget is still available after taking into account the 30m we’ve made from player sales
Not sure I can put my finger on it, it just doesn't sit right.

Between all the big money we've paid Liverpool so far, mostly for flops (although I don't include Solanke in that because I think he'll do alright)..and the large amount of money we spent last season...the other priorities the club has that it could use 20m for currently...and what looks to me a perfectly reasonable squad currently as long as Fraser is still here past the window shutting...And H.Wilson hardly being proven in the PL (as Billing is somewhat for example)...I'm just struggling to justify that kind of outlay it in my head.

Has a Eddie signing ever happened when it’s dragged on this long ?....Melpham maybe . Guessing the club has moved on unless the injury situation has made us more desperate .. us buying Liverpool players in desperation . Say it ain’t so .

This hasn’t dragged on at all, in fact I only heard the link this week.

Cook took over a year didn't it? Lerma took all summer.

From an independent Liverpool website.

Interesting read re Wilson from a fan’s perspective.

So could he turn out to be another Jordan Ibe or could he just be another Brooks and fit into our team from the off?

While I cannot claim to have either the skills or resources of Graham’s team, there is one clear statistical area where Wilson stands out and it is a comparative weakness of Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool.

Many Liverpool fans have bemoaned the lack of transfer action, but with only limited squad roles, the only clear holes which need filling Klopp’s team have been looking to do so with youth.

And Wilson offers statistically rare abilities which would be pricey on the open market.

Playing for Frank Lampard’s Derby side last season Wilson scored 15 goals and contributed three assists in 40 Championship appearances.

This record enabled the young Welshman to be the 10th-highest goalscorer in the second tier, averaging a goal every 216 minutes and shooting with an accuracy of 53 percent.

If we include the play-off games and cup competitions, his record becomes 18 goals and five assists from 49 games across all competitions.

This is an excellent return from a player who operates in wide midfield or an attacking midfield role, but does not in and of itself appear enough to merit inclusion in a European Cup-winning Liverpool squad.

Goals are gold dust for a midfielder or wide attacker at the elite level, but it is the type of goals Wilson scores which make him an anomaly.

Of the 15 goals he scored in the Championship, seven were from outside the box and of those three were from free-kicks.

As a point of comparison, Liverpool’s entire team scored five goals from outside the box last season in the Premier League.

In fact, Wilson scored more goals from outside the box last season than 10 entire Premier League teams managed across 38 games.

Exceptional work, but Wilson’s free-kick statistics rank even higher on the scale of rare brilliance.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/...-would-be-a-moneyball-solution-for-liverpool/

Last edited:
If Harry Wilson was proven in the Premier League, we wouldn't be in the frame to sign him. That's where we shop. Young, emerging talent with no guarantees (for every Lewis Cook there is a Jordon Ibe), foreign market with risk, or older towards the end of careers (eg Defoe)

Personally I'd love Harry Wilson and I get that if we sign young and British we pay a premium

I understand the wariness about him. There aren't too many 'highly rated' young players that the top six are willing to sell who turn out to be a mistake to sell.

Someone like Sancho, Man City wanted to keep but he forced through the move so you can't really count him. Compare that to Iheanacho who they were happy to let go, but only for a big fee because he was allegedly so highly rated.

Then I think about all those players who were highly effective in the Championship only to turn out to be relatively anonymous when they get a chance in the PL. Kockaert's only real contribution of note up here has been one of the worst tackles I've ever seen yet he always looks good in the second tier.

Of course, then I remember Fraser who needed that season in the Championship to prepare him to lift off in the PL.

So... I haven't got a clue really!

One things for sure, if Fraser or Ibe are sold before the window closes we need another wide player in the squad. Moreover, if both are going to be allowed to run their contract down then we'll need another wide player in the squad so we aren't having to bed too many in this time next year.

Those 15 starts at Ipswich seem to get an over proportionate amount of credit for Ryan Fraser’s development.

Those 15 starts at Ipswich seem to get an over proportionate amount of credit for Ryan Fraser’s development.

I think it was more the toughening up he needed and probably made him buckle down and diet well and appreciate he would e joy the PL more.

But surely it’s down to the player to help prove himself as well, like young players Eddie has brought on from other clubs, Brooks for one.
...yeah but we credit Eddie with bringing them on, we must also mention those he hasn't been able to develop?

;