I'm off

My favourite Greek island is Naxos, a little village on the north of the island.
Few tourists, bus arrives at 12 and leaves again at 2.
I used to go out fishing with the local fishermen early morning.
A lovely laid back place with small hidden beaches only reachable by boat.

1706441303562.png

Ruined by a single tourist. lol.
During the early 80s I used to stay there for a month during April, helping them fix up the old houses ready for the tourist season, putting in larger windows and painting.
I used to get a free lunch if I sat in Nico's taverna when the bus came at 12.
The old lady would hassle the visitors with the usual room room. 2 or 3 couples would stay over until the next day.

I've only ever heard good things about Rhodes but we haven't managed to get there yet. Crete very nice though.

I love a moan about the grockles coming to Dorset every summer. But then I love popping down to Devon and Cornwall multiple times a year... where I guess I'm... kind of a grockle...
You’re an Emmett down there.

We really like Crete too, twice stayed on the edge of Agios Nikolaos. Great hotel and town
Went to Ag Nik for a day Seemed like an age on the bus but was worth a look The Lotus Eaters was filmed on location here among others The harbour area was lovely Is there much else there?

Had enough of this shite weather, Minus degrees, snow, wind, now rain.
I'm off to Portugal for a month, 20c at the moment spending afternoons playing golf then back to 3 euro beers.
anybody else off to their winter holidays?
Might see you there! I'm in Portugal for six weeks from next weekend.

We stayed in Hersonissos. Lovely, but full of bloody locals and the language was all Greek to me…
Do you mean the "new" town Rob? We have stayed above the town in Koutoulofari a few times and loved it Think you would need plenty of power on your chair to get around up there!

Do you mean the "new" town Rob? We have stayed above the town in Koutoulofari a few times and loved it Think you would need plenty of power on your chair to get around up there!
I think I must do! Didn’t have a powered chair back then but my friends still got me around Knossos. Great days on a wonderful island.

I think I must do! Didn’t have a powered chair back then but my friends still got me around Knossos. Great days on a wonderful island.
Knossos didnt impress us that much Think they are trying to improve it but the previous work done used concrete and looked a mess when we were there Also a cruise ship in so was full of Yanks! We thought Lindos and Paphos were much better both with preservation and restoration

Did a month in corfu 20 years bsck.

Nice place. Travelled around the island, beautiful quiet places like Paliocastritsa (sp?) More of a quiet couples sleepy, picturesque village/town... not really ideal for 4 lads.

But nice respite after a couple of weeks in a big, cheap hostel type place called pink Palace. Full of yiung Americans (spring break type crowd) and tacky toga night parties. Oh yes, and wealthy young Mexicans that had a thing fir ripoing/biting off t shirt sleeves... Good Times... I think.

Crete it is! An actual decision! Can you recommend a hotel in Agios Nikolaos, Gary? Thanks to all for their recommendations
Twice we have stayed at Minos Beach Art Hotel. Small 'bungalows', its been there for years hence its only 10-15mins walk into town rather than a new one which is built up in the middle of nowhere, but its well maintained a refurbished. Very quiet place, good service and food, pool isnt over crowded, and plenty of access points into the sea from where the loungers are positioned. It isnt a traditional beach front, rather rocky waters edge with loungers placed onto built up crazy paving with swimming pool steps into sea, great view across Mirabello Bay. There are a couple of small beaches on their property too, but this is where people with kids go so we avoid that!!
We like the town not for its 'touristy' stuff, but its also a proper working town/harbour, so caters for locals and others who don't just want tourist tack. You can easily go to side roads and away from the (incredible) natural lagoon, and sit amongst locals chilling out drinking decent coffee, find good restaurants etc, for us, its just got a nice feel to it.
Both times we have been were with TUI, but you can book independently and fly with EasyJet or other regular flight.

If you go to crete I recommend loutro, you can only reach it by boat.
Very picturesque, stay a few days and enjoy the tranquility, no cars, very few brits, no all inclusive.

;