Injury ‘crisis’ and team selection

Chelsea may well have to pick itself. I don’t think we’ve had such a large injury crisis in the premier league, it’s been bad but not this bad. Would like to see Stacey at right back and Francis in the middle with Mepham to avoid starting with Simpson.

Lewis Cook did no harm today when he tried to feed through intelligent balls, Fraser needs to be dropped without question and Billing can make way as well.

Ramsdale

Rico
Mepham
Francis
Stacey

Danjuma
L Cook
Lerma
H. Wilson

Solanke
Dobre? Saydee?

With Ake, Smith, Cook, Stanislas, Brooks, Wilson, Daniels, King and Kelly out and 6 of those being definite starters I don’t see what other choice we have?

Perhaps it’s time to blood some youngsters next week - a couple of Kilkenny, Dobre, Scrimshaw, Saydee, Corey Jordan in the squad? Can’t do them any harm before their game against Luton in a few weeks.
Dobre and kilkenny are the only ones from the 23s for me who can step up.

It’s strange isn’t it. When Mepham joined in Jan Steve Cook had an injury and he looked pretty good when thrust into it. Now he’s like a rabbit in the headlights. Same with Billing, looked really decent now he’s petered out.
Sign duffy from brighton.no nosense centre back who doesnt back off like mepham.

Just before Callum pulled up with his injury yesterday, he had another run towards their goal, but didn’t seem to have the acceleration we are used to seeing from him to beat defenders and eventually lost the ball as he was by their penalty area.

Just wondering if he was already feeling or carrying an injury.

Has there been any updates on Kings status at all? Surely him and Stanislas won’t be far away now...?

I think with our defensive injuries, we’re just going to have to accept that we might be in and around the bottom three over the Xmas period. To have both Cook and Ake missing in this period is just insane.

We could’ve had more of a buffer with positive results against the likes of Newcastle, Norwich, Watford and 10 man Palace. Unfortunately we’re victims of our own making.

Asked for an update on the 27-year-old’s progress, Howe told the Daily Echo: “It’s been good, it’s been pretty plain sailing.

“There have been no setbacks, no worries, no feeling from him in his hamstring.

“But they are notorious injuries in that you can feel brilliant all the way up to the last little bit when you have to fully sprint and then you get another problem.

"That is why we have tried to take our time with him, to make sure
that there is no such occurrence.”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...a-king-no-setbacks-recovery-hamstring-injury/

No BTK... He’s just a yard off the pace atm... No idea how collectively a group of players can go from where we were 4 weeks ago, beating the likes of Everton and Man Utd... to what we see now.

Watched MOTD briefly this morning and the lethargy off the ball is staggering... 2 of the biggest culprits appeared to be Billing and Callum. Where is the desire to win the ball back?

Eddie said things needed to change and I honestly expected things to be different yesterday, but my heart instantly sank when I saw the team sheet. No apparent deviation from the last 12 months’ tactics or personnel. Why no Stacey? Why still 4-4-2? Why no pace, fight and passion? Why can he not see Billing and Lerma do not work in a midfield 2?

We need to seriously baton down the hatches for several weeks and just prey we get some players back. Stay with the bottom 5 and hopefully stop the downward spiral...

For me, I’d set up at Chelsea to be impenetrable... poss a 3 of Franno, Simpson and Mepham with 5 across the middle, including Gosling, L.Cook and Lerma... H. Wilson and Danjuma wide and Solanke on his todd up top.

If we still persist with 4 across the middle, we could do worse than giving Ibe his last chance saloon up top, behind Solanke...

One things for certain, it’s gonna be a hard 2nd half of the season that’s for sure... buckle up folks!!!

I see there are now calls to buy a defender. Problem: even if we get a decent recruit the fundamental problems remain, cos if Eddie continues to play with two in midfield we’re in very serious trouble. We need above all a creative midfielder - and Eddie’s commitment to play him in an advanced role with Lerma and either Cook or Billing ( I prefer Cook).

It’s been clear for weeks that we’re easily overwhelmed in midfield - by top teams and by relegation candidates such as Norwich. Our forwards just don’t get the ball. This has got to change - or IMO we’ll say goodbye to the PL. Why won’t Eddie play three??? If he thinks we don’t have the resources then go and recruit ... we spend nothing on the stadium ... well, use that income on a survival recruit. Only weeks to the transfer window now ... get that recruit ASAP.

Chelsea may well have to pick itself. I don’t think we’ve had such a large injury crisis in the premier league, it’s been bad but not this bad. Would like to see Stacey at right back and Francis in the middle with Mepham to avoid starting with Simpson.

Lewis Cook did no harm today when he tried to feed through intelligent balls, Fraser needs to be dropped without question and Billing can make way as well.

Ramsdale

Rico
Mepham
Francis
Stacey

Danjuma
L Cook
Lerma
H. Wilson

Solanke
Dobre? Saydee?

With Ake, Smith, Cook, Stanislas, Brooks, Wilson, Daniels, King and Kelly out and 6 of those being definite starters I don’t see what other choice we have?

Perhaps it’s time to blood some youngsters next week - a couple of Kilkenny, Dobre, Scrimshaw, Saydee, Corey Jordan in the squad? Can’t do them any harm before their game against Luton in a few weeks.

You've missed Surman from your injury list.

Just have Solanke upfront and add Gosling to midfield.

“No BTK... He’s just a yard off the pace atm... No idea how collectively a group of players can go from where we were 4 weeks ago, beating the likes of Everton and Man Utd... to what we see now.”

Basically what I am getting at, why or what has happened to Callum Wilson?

We saw him get his first goal away at Leicester and then score 5 goals in the next four PL games.

Went away on international duty and hasn’t looked the same player since and has not scored since.

“No BTK... He’s just a yard off the pace atm... No idea how collectively a group of players can go from where we were 4 weeks ago, beating the likes of Everton and Man Utd... to what we see now.”

Basically what I am getting at, why or what has happened to Callum Wilson?

We saw him get his first goal away at Leicester and then score 5 goals in the next four PL games.

Went away on international duty and hasn’t looked the same player since and has not scored since.

Confidence is huge in football and Callum, along with the others, is running on empty. He’s simply not getting any credible service, however, I find it disappointing when he does get a half decent opportunity, he’s either offside, or just crumpled to the floor under a once ridden challenge...

worrying times ahead and Eddie really needs to dig deep to turn this around...

Callum’s record for goals in the PL in December.

2016-17 - 1 goal. ‘That’ game against Liverpool.

2017-18 - 1 goal. Boxing day against West Ham.

2018-19 - 2 goals. Man C & Huddersfield.

The partnership with Ryan Fraser he had last season is missing at the moment as well, which makes a difference.

Reactions: rgb
Sign duffy from brighton.no nosense centre back who doesnt back off like mepham.
The day that Eddie starts signing players like Duffy is the day I would expect him to be certified. Brighton are now playing fast passing football under Potter something that most of us want to see again at our club again. Duffy isn't considered good enough to play that style by Potter.

It matters not who, or if, we sign new players...chances are they will get injured...something is seriously wrong with our training ? the intensity ? or...'something' to do with fitness....or the medical staff ?
We were told this problem was being addressed or at least probed for answers...every season we seem to be worse than other clubs!

I think EH will play C Wilson even if King is back and so might go for the same personnel that won/drew those earlier games. King, Wilson, Solanke, Wilson, Billing and Lerma. I'd prefer him to play Stacey, Francis, Simpson and Rico if he goes for a back four.

What is pretty clear from this season is that the only way we can play this system effectively is with Josh King out wide to carry the ball up the pitch.

;