Jack Byrne

Purely hypothetical as I know nothing about him as a person, but could be questions marks over attitude as well. may have the ability, but for whatever reason didn't apply himself to realize his potential/talent.

may have grown up an gained more focus after moving back to Ireland?

I guess taps into the first point you make, but if the players head isn;t in the right place, there's only so much the club can do.

I guess we only have movement of players and how they hold up in the respective leagues as a yardstick. Byrne is a Man City academy graduate who dropped division for 4 successive years in a row in England before ending up in the LOI. If less than 50 games later he's the best player in Ireland it means one of three things:

1. 4 English clubs and a Scottish club were unable to realise his talent even for the basement of English professional football
2. His ability has exploded from league 2 cast-off to at least Championship level in under a year.
3. The standard of the LOI is actually pretty low

While 1 and 2 aren't impossible they seem improbable which is why I lean towards 3.

All that said Michail Antonio for example went pretty much from non-league to Championship. It doesn't mean that non-league and the Championship are the same level so maybe it's not such a great yardstick!

I would suggest that perhaps all the great players that have featured in the LOI probably didn't spend their prime years there.

As a young lad he was the most sought after player in Ireland.signed for man city on a great contract for a young lad .didn't get through there and moved down the leagues.more mature now and his ability is there for all to see.rovers played Milan a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't have been our of place on Milan team IMO. James mc clean was of similar age when going to Sunderland and though playing a different position is not a patch on Jack. Yet McLean has played in the premiership for 3 different clubs.we signed cook because he was a England u20 international for 10 million can't say that has been good value. Lioftus cheek England international 150,000 grand a week all because he was a England player and what about Solanke 19 million.Jack Byrne would be a bet to nothing and potentially the bargain of the year.

As a young lad he was the most sought after player in Ireland.signed for man city on a great contract for a young lad .didn't get through there and moved down the leagues.more mature now and his ability is there for all to see.rovers played Milan a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't have been our of place on Milan team IMO. James mc clean was of similar age when going to Sunderland and though playing a different position is not a patch on Jack. Yet McLean has played in the premiership for 3 different clubs.we signed cook because he was a England u20 international for 10 million can't say that has been good value. Lioftus cheek England international 150,000 grand a week all because he was a England player and what about Solanke 19 million.Jack Byrne would be a bet to nothing and potentially the bargain of the year.

Are you Irish? You seem to be this guy's biggest cheerleader yet he's failed at a lower level than we are now and a much lower level in Scotland.

sounds like he could be worth a shot if costing next to nothing, must have something about him to have started at City.

Wonder if a lucrative contract at such a young age effected his drive/focus?? Plus living in a lively city like Manchester, may have been distracted?

sounds like he could be worth a shot if costing next to nothing, must have something about him to have started at City.

Wonder if a lucrative contract at such a young age effected his drive/focus?? Plus living in a lively city like Manchester, may have been distracted?
Alot of money at a young age didn't help .fact that he is free and hungry to give it a last shot would make me sign him.look on you tube and you can see his quality. What have we to loose.

Alot of money at a young age didn't help .fact that he is free and hungry to give it a last shot would make me sign him.look on you tube and you can see his quality. What have we to loose.

Fair point, I know what I was like during my teens-mid twenties. Guessing he was on at least 5k a week from how you're talking. Moving to an exciting city on big money could certainly have an impact on a lot of peoples careers

he's not playing well at present, but has produced at PL level. What has your mate achieved in the game so far?
At present ?hasn't played well in nearly over a year.byrne would have been a free and IMO a no brainer.player of the year in Ireland thus year and in the international squad.yes he was wayward as a kid (to much to soon,had a big contract as a kid at man city)still only 24 and went to Cyprus because of Mick.mc Carthy.

;