Jack Simpson

Thought he was excellent today. Definitely the best of the 3 centre backs.

To be honest I think he is too good to loan out. If we are going to play 3-5-1-1 going forward I’d have him starting.

Great passer and wise positioning. Mature way he handled Willian a couple of times was very impressive.

I hope he doesn't become another Cargill who has looked good when playing but doesn't seem to get a real shot with us

I thought he had a good game. He did a really good job of nullifying Willian. A great learning exercise for him.

But seriously, you guys genuinely think he was better than Cook and Francis and would have him above them in the pecking order??

From The Times today the vacant acreage between Simon Francis and Steve Cook,although I also thought yet another defensive lapse by Adam Smith led to the first goal.

The end of the road sadly for some of our League 1 heroes.

Agree time to roll the dice a bit and take a gamble on a youngster or two...look at Everton and Liverpool seems to have worked for them?

Would be awesome to get Ampadu on loan and then have him and Ake at centre back - the best hair duo in the league!

As for Simpson, we need to be wary of his age and experience but so far, he has looked good in every game he's played. I'd happily have him in the team every week.

Simpson is already 20. A good age to be breaking into the first team. He seems to have gone under the radar in our U23's until this pre-season but you could tell last night he had been working with the first squad for some time and the rest of the team had confidence in him.

...thing is for a club our size bringing in Simpson would galvanise us all and save us taking a pop in the transfer market and paying oodles for a gamble...like Brad Smith?

Interesting that jack pushed up a bit second half, just wondering if he could play left back; certainly looks composed on the ball.

;