January transfer window

• Thread starter removed at users request
  • Start date
Maybe I'm looking around more because of our injury situation but it does feel to me like there's a few potential signings available like Drinkwater, Mepham possibly.
Rightly or wrongly, the club have set their stall out re. the stadium, so if squad strength is the main focus and Eddie wants someone, they should put their money where their mouth is and bankroll it - even it means paying a bit of a January premium

Drinkwater will be on immense wages, so unless Chelsea were happy to share the load, I can't see it.

I did think Norwood would be good for us, he's been in great form this season.

A loan move for Mangala? Apparently he can play left back as well as CB. I can see this benefitting City seeing as his contract ends in June.

Ugh, the writing was terrible, never pass an eleven plus like that. Norwood one who has been linked plenty in the past, doesn't excite me nowadays though

Heres a list of some names I wouldn't mind seeing, potentially...

Right Backs:
[LOAN] Victor Moses (Chelsea) Age: 28
- Would be my first choice, seeing as we're probably going to have to play a back 3 a lot more often. At one point was one of the best RWBs in the league and now has fallen completely out of favour. Plus we already have a somewhat decent relationship with Chelsea concerning transfers. A loan with a view to a permanent move would be perfect.

[LOAN] Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool) Age: 27
- Another player that would suit us perfectly. Again, another very good RB that's fallen out of contention, and is already being linked with clubs like Cardiff. Wages might be high, but a 6 month loan for a well established top club player would be a great bit of business.

[LOAN] Kyle Walker-Peters (Spurs) Age: 21
- Perhaps a bit of a gamble, but I was really impressed with him vs Barca in the Champions League (and against us), and would be another good option for a short term loan. Quick, strong and looks like a hardworker. Plus, if he did well here, then that opens up a good link with Spurs, who have a lot of good players like Dembele and Wanyama who aren't getting much gametime...

[BUY] Connor Roberts (Swansea City) Age: 23
- Another punt of sorts, but I know Cockbeard rates this guy, and he certainly has some good attributes that would suit our style very well. Would also presumably be relatively cheap. Question is if he can make the step up or not, since he has to be Premier League ready NOW.

[BUY] Joel Ward (Crystal Palace) Age: 29
- Probably the safest signing we could make. Already knows the club from a previous spell and is from the south, decent enough player on his day with plenty of top flight experience, and would also hopefully be very cheap. Would be a solid, sensible signing.

[BUY] William (Wolfsburg) Age: 23
- This one is my bit of overseas scouting for the day. In and around the Wolfsburg first team, who are doing pretty well, and at a good age. Watching him play, he's very quick, a good tackler, an excellent crosser and has a hell of an engine on him. Would obviously need to adapt to English football too. This is more of a "I rate this player" than a "We should be looking at this player" suggestion, but what's transfer talk without a bit of fun?

Central Midfielders:
[BUY] Joe Allen (Stoke City) Age: 28
- Solid player with excellent pedigree, who reasonably should not be too expensive. Would be good cover for Lerma and an excellent squad option, and PROBABLY a step up from Gosling, who is very similar in style. Should be a top target, what we need is a guaranteed Premier League quality player in the middle to take the pressure off of Lerman.

[BUY] Moussa Dembele (Spurs) Age: 31
- This might be reaching, and he's apparently set for China, but this guy is phenomenal and would be PERFECT for us. If you're not going to invest in stadiums, then we should put our money where are mouth is and just go for it. If we could offload Defoe and bring this guy in, then that would be absolutely brilliant. He shouldn't be too expensive anyway excluding wages; his contract is up in the summer. Maybe a pipe dream- maybe not...

[BUY] Bradley Dack (Blackburn Rovers) Age: 25
- This guy is an absolute star in the Championship, where he plays as a No10, and despite not being as young as Brooks, for example, he has so much potential. A low priority position given the state of other areas, but would be an excellent addition IMO, as we still suffer from a lack of creativity in the middle.

[FREE] Yaya Toure (Free Agent) Age: 35
- Why not? A short term deal surely wouldn't be too expensive. Think of the effect he could have not only on actual games, but on the rest of the squad. Think the Jack Wilshere effect but x100. Imagine the stuff that Lerma and Cook could learn from him. He might be completely past it at this stage, given he left Olympiakos fairly quickly, but its worth investigating on a free, surely?

[BUY] Danny Drinkwater (Chelsea) Age: 28
- A more Joe Allen-esque potential signing. Again, a very good player on his day and a step up from what we have currently (excluding Lerma). Stumbling blocks for me would be the potential transfer fee and wages; not sure he's worth what Chelsea would presumably ask for, given how much they spent on him. There's probably cheaper options out there for what you'd end up getting.

[LOAN] Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) Age: 22
- Probably won't happen since they've started to use him a bit more, but would be worth an ask. We need more strength and guile in the middle, and he offers both while being quite a versatile player. Would much rather get him then Drinkwater. Plus we have a good rapport with Chelsea, and EH with Sarri, so it could happen. I think he'd do better for us than any other loan destination.

Forwards
[BUY] Ollie Watkins (Brentford) Age: 23
- Huge fan of this guy, have watched him all the way since his Exeter days. Reminds me of King when he was in the Championship for Blackburn, but younger and getting more goals. Really quick, skillful player who can play anywhere in a front 3, or on the wings. Under EH this guy could be a Premier League star.

[LOAN] Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea) Age: 18
- Suggested by CherriesOnTop. One of the many Chelsea youths seemingly lost in the wilderness atm. Looks like a real special talent for an 18 year old, and has already scored in the Europa League this season. He could honestly benefit from leaving Chelsea permanently ASAP like Ake, regardless of whether he joined us or not.

Last edited:

Right Backs:
- Would be my first choice, seeing as we're probably going to have to play a back 3 a lot more often. At one point was one of the best RWBs in the league and now has fallen completely out of favour. Plus we already have a somewhat decent relationship with Chelsea concerning transfers. A loan with a view to a permanent move would be perfect.

- Another player that would suit us perfectly. Again, another very good RB that's fallen out of contention, and is already being linked with clubs like Cardiff. Wages might be high, but a 6 month loan for a well established top club player would be a great bit of business.

- Perhaps a bit of a gamble, but I was really impressed with him vs Barca in the Champions League (and against us), and would be another good option for a short term loan. Quick, strong and looks like a hardworker. Plus, if he did well here, then that opens up a good link with Spurs, who have a lot of good players like Dembele and Wanyama who aren't getting much gametime...

- Another punt of sorts, but I know Cockbeard rates this guy, and he certainly has some good attributes that would suit our style very well. Would also presumably be relatively cheap. Question is if he can make the step up or not, since he has to be Premier League ready NOW.

- Probably the safest signing we could make. Already knows the club from a previous spell and is from the south, decent enough player on his day with plenty of top flight experience, and would also hopefully be very cheap. Would be a solid, sensible signing.

- This one is my bit of overseas scouting for the day. In and around the Wolfsburg first team, who are doing pretty well, and at a good age. Watching him play, he's very quick, a good tackler, an excellent crosser and has a hell of an engine on him. Would obviously need to adapt to English football too. This is more of a "I rate this player" than a "We should be looking at this player" suggestion, but what's transfer talk without a bit of fun?

Central Midfielders:
- Solid player with excellent pedigree, who reasonably should not be too expensive. Would be good cover for Lerma and an excellent squad option, and PROBABLY a step up from Gosling, who is very similar in style. Should be a top target, what we need is a guaranteed Premier League quality player in the middle to take the pressure off of Lerman.

- This might be reaching, and he's apparently set for China, but this guy is phenomenal and would be PERFECT for us. If you're not going to invest in stadiums, then we should put our money where are mouth is and just go for it. If we could offload Defoe and bring this guy in, then that would be absolutely brilliant. He shouldn't be too expensive anyway excluding wages; his contract is up in the summer. Maybe a pipe dream- maybe not...

- This guy is an absolute star in the Championship, where he plays as a No10, and despite not being as young as Brooks, for example, he has so much potential. A low priority position given the state of other areas, but would be an excellent addition IMO, as we still suffer from a lack of creativity in the middle.

- Why not? A short term deal surely wouldn't be too expensive. Think of the effect he could have not only on actual games, but on the rest of the squad. Think the Jack Wilshere effect but x100. Imagine the stuff that Lerma and Cook could learn from him. He might be completely past it at this stage, given he left Olympiakos fairly quickly, but its worth investigating on a free, surely?

- A more Joe Allen-esque potential signing. Again, a very good player on his day and a step up from what we have currently (excluding Lerma). Stumbling blocks for me would be the potential transfer fee and wages; not sure he's worth what Chelsea would presumably ask for, given how much they spent on him. There's probably cheaper options out there for what you'd end up getting.

- Probably won't happen since they've started to use him a bit more, but would be worth an ask. We need more strength and guile in the middle, and he offers both while being quite a versatile player. Would much rather get him then Drinkwater. Plus we have a good rapport with Chelsea, and EH with Sarri, so it could happen. I think he'd do better for us than any other loan destination.

I agree with your selection. Unfortuantely, the reality of the sitution will more than likely be the following.

Right Backs
[FILL IN] Jordan Ibe (Bournemouth squad player)
- Brought in to fill in at right back until A.Smith is fit again.

Central Midfielders
[SAT ON BENCH] Emerson Hyndman (Bournemouth squad player)
- Returned from loan spell at Hibernian and will fill in when Surman gets injured and after the Watford game whilst Lerma is serving a two match suspension after getting booked tonight against Watford.

I agree with your selection. Unfortuantely, the reality of the sitution will more than likely be the following.

Right Backs

Central Midfielders
- Returned from loan spell at Hibernian and will fill in when Surman gets injured and after the Watford game whilst Lerma is serving a two match suspension after getting booked tonight against Watford.

Just out of interest, what player(s) would you LIKE to see us sign? You say you agree with my selection- anyone in particular? Personally, I'd be most happy with Moses and Allen.

Roberts and Allen for me. No real need to look for youth in midfield as we have plenty of that there already

Right Backs

Central Midfielders
Fantastic! :rofl:

Right Backs:

Central Midfielders:

I'd agree with the most part. Some are realistic, others not so much. I wouldn't mind Hudson-odoi on loan. It might add another dimension in the forward areas and inject some life. Maybe that's one for next season as he is almost guaranteed not to get game time now Pulisic will be there.

I'd agree with the most part. Some are realistic, others not so much. I wouldn't mind Hudson-odoi on loan. It might add another dimension in the forward areas and inject some life. Maybe that's one for next season as he is almost guaranteed not to get game time now Pulisic will be there.

Good shout. Seen that Bayern are trying to buy him £30 million though! Thats kind of insane for an 18 year old who hasn't really achieved anything yet.

He's a left back so given our surfeit of options there seems unlikely in the extreme.

I was hearing really good things about him from a bunch of Championship forums, and was disappointed to learn he's a left back. Would be a great fit here but not viable atm.

;