January transfer window

• Thread starter removed at users request
  • Start date
Personally I want loans to help us out this season. January is hard to find the right player to buy for the right price.
I definitely agree. Unless clubs are trying to get rid of players to make way for news ones (which is always risky getting involved in), you generally get a bum deal. Summer is the right time to clean up the squad and make some smart additions.

It's time to bring back the prodigal son Brett Pitman for 6 months as cover upfront. Sad to see him rotting on bench at Pompey. I could see a Fletch style return working out and Brett coming on as a sub at St Marys and scoring a last minute winner. Would be deaths in the away end.

Mark McAdam just mentioned Clyne then took tweet down super quick, that only makes me think it's closer than we think

It's time to bring back the prodigal son Brett Pitman for 6 months as cover upfront. Sad to see him rotting on bench at Pompey. I could see a Fletch style return working out and Brett coming on as a sub at St Marys and scoring a last minute winner. Would be deaths in the away end.

If he could get a hat trick for us, that's a great quiz question. At least I don;t think anyone else has done that, hat trick for same club in all four divisions

Connor Roberts - about £4m- £8m
Chris Mepham - about £15m
Kieran Tierney - about £20
Glen Kamara - about £1m- £3m
Joe Allen £7m- £12m... Tierney isn't even really needed I just would rather him than Rico so if you take Tierney away that adds up to around £32m. We could get mepham and Roberts in the summer and loan in clyne until the end of the season. That narrows it down to around £10m this window.
I reckon Olly Watkins is a good shout. Get him bedded in now because one of the big boys will be in for Brooks in the summer. Sorry sminto I'm stealing your thunder here.

Mark McAdam just mentioned Clyne then took tweet down super quick, that only makes me think it's closer than we think

What did it say?

Another chap on Twitter says tomorrow will be interesting.....he said he knows something is happening....but I guess that is easy to say!

I note that Clyne isn't in the squad for them tonight. Looks obvious he will be moving somewhere at least then.

What did it say?

Another chap on Twitter says tomorrow will be interesting.....he said he knows something is happening....but I guess that is easy to say!

I missed it, it was super quick, nut recent tweets are talking about price rather than loan, so maybe a permanent thing

A Liverpool fan has posted an image apparently of Clyne with his back to camera, taken up there somewhere....and he says Clyne said he wasn't in the squad as he's coming to us. We shall see.

Anyone seen Glen Kamara, what a player... love to get him, would be great with lerma, you might find clips on youtube. Cardiff and Celtic are interested but I think we could outbid them and persuade him to come here. He would be cheap too.

I feel that Clyne is close, and whilst he's definitely the most qualified, experienced, and easiest option I do feel it lacks a little something in succession planning. Rather than a player 3-4 years younger it's a player 3-4 weeks older. If it's just a loan then fine, but if we're buying him (which I'm starting to suspect) then are we planning for life without Smith

Despite being a right back, Clyne has played plenty of matches at left back and we know Smith has played there for us very successfully. It would allow us to double up on our winger trick and swap fullbacks with each other as well as the wingers partway through the game to really confuse the opposition!

I think this is a loan and nothing more. I can't see it being a permanent signing.

I like the idea of that, I've seen enough wingers switch wings after 15 minutes of me booting them in them air. Would love to see their face if I then switched with my left back as well, bloody hilarious that'd be

...not sure that Clyne would want to commit permanent to us, and I am sure Smith will be back in a few months, a good experienced stop gap to get Nathaniel on loan. If Howe can pick up Mepham or Loftus-Cheek we would be sorted?
Will be interesting to see Simpson and Mings on Saturday, who should be given some gametime.

Love to see hyndman get a go in the cup to see what he's about, excited to see Mousset aswell. And Simpson, who I thought looked great last time he played.

;