Jeff and Eddie Howe

If Eddie said something, people would accuse him to trying to make it about him. Staying silent and a whatsapp to Tindall is sensible, which I'm sure he did.

I posted this on another thread but it was the night before the Tindall appointment and it sort of got lost. I think it’s relevant though:

Not sure how much I can contribute as nobody really knows what happened, but after looking again over the "open letter" from Eddie there are a few things that I think are probably relevant:

1. The "open letter" appeared on the official club website. Therefore its content had to be reviewed and approved by the club.
  2. The way the letter is worded is very careful, cautious, and probably wasn't written by Eddie, at least not in full.
  3. I don't think Eddie had been planning on leaving - the letter says that it is after a challenging few days, with talks between him and the club, that "we have collectively come to the decision" that he will be leaving.
  4. The word "collectively" comes up a LOT. Someone is trying very hard, maybe too hard, to emphasize that this was not a unilaterally-imposed decision. This makes me suspicious.
Who knows what really happened. After looking that letter over again, I wouldn't be surprised if the reality was closer to Eddie getting the sack, with the several-days negotiations being over how it would happen, and the ultimate decision being that there would be an "amicable" parting, and the club supplying the heartfelt letter to supporters that we all saw. If so, there's almost certainly a confidentiality clause Eddie had to sign, so he'll never be telling us anything, but the benefit for him is that he doesn't have a sacking on his CV.

I'm not saying this happened, or even that I think this happened, but I do think it's more likely than many other scenarios given the way that letter is written.

eddie wouldn’t spill the beans anyway, has too much class than that. We saw that when he left for Burnley when there appeared to be “things happening behind the scenes“.

Squash match comment, I'm certain that's why he left, I'd have left following that statement if I was him

@peterrutzler JT says he has been in contact with Eddie since then. "I will be my own man. But Ed is a friend and we will be speaking and meet up from time to time". #afcb

doesn’t fit the ‘narrative’ of a fall out

First two weeks in January he's linked with every club in the land. Then he states his commitment to the club and we're all happy. Mitchell goes on telly that morning, you know he can't walk past a camera without opening his mouth, was asked if he was happy about EH staying, he makes some comment about "we played a game of squash this morning, I won so he has to stay"

After committing his future to the club and rejecting offers from Southampton and Palace, the next day he accepts an offer from Burnley, which were clearly not the most attractive offer that had been on the table that month. Makes me think he had genuinely rejected other offers and had made a genuine commitment to us, but felt completely undermined by that comment. Which to be honest is fair enough. If a boss of mine had said something similar and we weren't best mates, then he's just made my position untenable, in fact even if we are, a public comment like that is bloody ridiculous

edit: tinpot has it. I did look for the clip, was on south today at the time, but couldn't find it at first look

Has anyone seen the Jason interview on Sky just now?! Normal discussion until the last 20 seconds or so. Is it me or did Jason look really awkward when answering the question about whether he’d spoken to Eddie? I wonder if something did happen between them after seeing that?!

Has anyone seen the Jason interview on Sky just now?! Normal discussion until the last 20 seconds or so. Is it me or did Jason look really awkward when answering the question about whether he’d spoken to Eddie? I wonder if something did happen between them after seeing that?!

I'm a contractor, I often step into new offices and industries, if my first conversations always revolved around what my predecessor had done I'd feel pretty awkward too

I'm a contractor, I often step into new offices and industries, if my first conversations always revolved around what my predecessor had done I'd feel pretty awkward too
And especially considering one of the criticisms of the appointment was JT’s awkwardness with the media, I don’t think we should read too much into it when JT is awkward in front of the media!

Wow| I've got quite a good imagination, but I'm finding it very difficult indeed to visualise a scenario in which a middle aged desk jockey like Mitchell could beat a very fit and healthy 30 something sportsman at squash!!

First two weeks in January he's linked with every club in the land. Then he states his commitment to the club and we're all happy. Mitchell goes on telly that morning, you know he can't walk past a camera without opening his mouth, was asked if he was happy about EH staying, he makes some comment about "we played a game of squash this morning, I won so he has to stay"

After committing his future to the club and rejecting offers from Southampton and Palace, the next day he accepts an offer from Burnley, which were clearly not the most attractive offer that had been on the table that month. Makes me think he had genuinely rejected other offers and had made a genuine commitment to us, but felt completely undermined by that comment. Which to be honest is fair enough. If a boss of mine had said something similar and we weren't best mates, then he's just made my position untenable, in fact even if we are, a public comment like that is bloody ridiculous

edit: tinpot has it. I did look for the clip, was on south today at the time, but couldn't find it at first look

He spoke to burnley in December and they were his preferred choice after speaking to the other clubs.

;