Jefferson Lerma

Not a thread related to his red card, which in my opinion was completely undeserved and a ridiculous decision. But I am genuinely intrigued to hear other people’s thoughts, what does he actually offer us? I genuinely just can’t see it, I really want to like the guy but I honestly don’t think it’s a coincidence that we almost instantly look a better team without him on the pitch. He was billed as a defensive minded midfielder who protects the defence, but positioning wise he is all over the place and is second to virtually every second ball in the middle of the park. Not great in the air, slows play down. The only positive is that he occasionally pulls a worldy pass out of the bag, but even then his passing is incredibly erratic. I just don’t get it, he’s like a slightly smaller Billing without as much ability.

I actually don't disagree. I think he's a great player but we've never managed to really dominate midfields since we signed him.

Justice done, shame it was too late and we're still three points down
That's the annoying part isn't it ? They've admitted that it was wrong but it doesn't undo the damage that sending off caused during that match. I also wonder what the consequences of this admission will be for the referee responsible. Probably two games on a cold damp night somewhere and then back to business as usual ?

Doesn't offer us the 3 points back but it is indeed the World we wanted to live in... One without VAR.

Considering red cards can have such an effect on games, maybe the Championship could consider a VAR world where a referee can review red card incidents at the side of the pitch... Nothing else... Just red card incidents. Everything is is as you were with on field decisions standing...

That's the annoying part isn't it ? They've admitted that it was wrong but it doesn't undo the damage that sending off caused during that match. I also wonder what the consequences of this admission will be for the referee responsible. Probably two games on a cold damp night somewhere and then back to business as usual ?
Perhaps they'll make him do a 700 mile round trip to his next match as punishment?

Even with VAR it’s not certain the decision would have changed but you were unlucky.

It was a bit like rugby when a player gets sent off because the ref sees what has happened in the aftermath with the cut eye.

Mistake corrected let’s not be too hard on the ref...still prefer this to VAR!...it wasn’t his fault we lost on Saturday as we had plenty of the ball to have scored

Agree as regards preference to VAR. I was massively annoyed at the time (and still am)... but over the course of a season, things roughly even out. Or, as we found with VAR, they don’t really even out and we still get shafted anyway.

Ref gets it wrong or VAR gets it wrong... it’s all the same.

Mistake corrected let’s not be too hard on the ref...still prefer this to VAR!...it wasn’t his fault we lost on Saturday as we had plenty of the ball to have scored

Whilst I agree we had plenty of the ball, enough to have scored, you can't deny having 11 on the field would have helped us defend better when conceding the goal...

All ifs and buts I know... but if you look at their goal scorer's initial position (first image), he was in exactly the area of the field I'd have expected Lerma to have been in, if in defensive shape, tracking that runner... Then look where he drove to, you'd have probably expected the tracker to have followed him all the way... (Image 2)...

Like I said, all ifs and buts...
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 13.54.35.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 13.54.53.png

Did the ref actually see the whole incident? The fact that Lerma was flying backwards through the air doesn't mean he should keep his arms down by his sides. There was never any attempt to strike the Luton Player and I'm not sure that Jeff could even see him. IMO the ref brought some guesswork in to his decision after seeing some blood. He needs to be told not to hand out punishment unless he's 100% sure

It wasn’t even a foul let alone a yellow or even a red card. There’s plenty of physical contact all over the pitch in every game and just because this completely accidental one was with the opponent’s face doesn’t make it illegal

As Kris Temple pointed out at the time, in Rugby Union the Luton player who crashed into Jeff's legs while he was in the air would have been penalised for dangerous play

;