Jefferson Lerma

Did the ref actually see the whole incident? The fact that Lerma was flying backwards through the air doesn't mean he should keep his arms down by his sides. There was never any attempt to strike the Luton Player and I'm not sure that Jeff could even see him. IMO the ref brought some guesswork in to his decision after seeing some blood. He needs to be told not to hand out punishment unless he's 100% sure
Did the ref consult the assistant ref ?

Whilst I agree we had plenty of the ball, enough to have scored, you can't deny having 11 on the field would have helped us defend better when conceding the goal...

All ifs and buts I know... but if you look at their goal scorer's initial position (first image), he was in exactly the area of the field I'd have expected Lerma to have been in, if in defensive shape, tracking that runner... Then look where he drove to, you'd have probably expected the tracker to have followed him all the way... (Image 2)...

Like I said, all ifs and buts...
View attachment 4881
View attachment 4882

It’s a very fair observation. Watching it at the time (including the various replays) it’s fairly clear that the scorer should be picked up by someone in CM. Possible mistake (1): L Cook switches off, leaving the scorer unmarked and running in behind him (or perhaps L Cook was correctly covering a particular angle / channel and entitled to assume there would be cover). Possible mistake (2) Brooks should have been covering but is stuck upfield / meandering back rather than already being alongside or at least vaguely near L Cook (but given Brooks was supposed to be creating chances for us, perhaps he wasn’t supposed to cover the hole L.Cook left behind him). Possible mistake (3) Having made an attempt to get back goal side (finally travelling at pace) Brooks elected to cover the space on the penalty spot allowing / assuming that S Cook would come out to meet the ball carrier. But S Cook hesitates to come out and is then too late to block the shot. Should Brooks have closed down the shot himself or in conjunction with S Cook?

Team game. But I agree that Lerma would have been there to plug the hole.

I think a Watford fan has been busy. Just looked at Jeff's entry and it reads -

"Since signing for Bournemouth, he has learnt how to cheat his way through matches. "

:D

Well it doesn't say that now
AFC Bournemouth[edit]
On 7 August 2018, Lerma joined Premier League club AFC Bournemouth for a club record transfer fee of €30 million.[10] On 1 September, he made his debut for Bournemouth playing 88 minutes in a 2–0 loss against Chelsea.[11] Lerma scored his first goal for the club in a 2–1 defeat against Newcastle United on 10 November 2018.[12] He scored on the final day of his first season at the club in a 5–3 defeat away to Crystal Palace.[13] Lerma established himself as a fan favourite player, due to his tough-tackling, no-nonsense style of play, as well as an important part of the Bournemouth team during his first season in the Premier League; making a total of 32 appearances across all competitions and scoring two goals in the league.

On 29 February 2020, he scored his third goal for the club in a 2–2 home draw against Chelsea, meeting a Ryan Fraser corner with his head to make the score 1–1.[14] In December 2020, Lerma was charged with a biting offence relating to an act of violent conduct during a game against Sheffield Wednesday on 3 November 2020.[15]

Since signing for Bournemouth, he has learnt how to cheat his way through matches.

;