Jermain Defoe

It's a yes for me, Wilson, Afobe and King are all PL quality strikers who can keep us up again next year imo. Plus Grabban is a decent bench striker.

These guys need lots of PL minutes if their going to reach their potential. I have no doubt Defoe would keep us up but he'd hinder their development in my opinion.

I may be biased because of the sh*t show that was the later half of his TFC days though lol.

Garbo - 30/4/2016 21:54

...how old was Supa when he 'saved' us?

I have no issue with signing old players under the right circumstances. Back then I imagine our pool to choose players from was much smaller and so was our bank balance (relatively speaking).

As others have mentioned, signing another forward line is way down the priority list compared to other areas. Players such as Wilson, Afobe and King have the potential to be extremely good players at level, whilst Grabben is a decent backup. I also think adding a 5th striker will only hinder their development/potential as it will cut down on their game time.

People you are close but ....Defoe came to Sunderland from Toronto FC , he was replaced in Toronto by Giovinco from Juventus and Italian national team .Last year Govinco was the top scorer in MSL , this season Toronto FC scored 8 goals ,Giovinco scored 6 of them .
Do yourself favor ,get this guy .

Jermain Defoe played 17 games for Toronto and he scored 11.

Eddie likes to sign players he knows something about and have played in the UK.

Defoe is PL class and still will be next season.....but if his wage demands are ridiculous then we could do better with a younger striker IMO

badkeeper - 1/5/2016 20:44

People you are close but ....Defoe came to Sunderland from Toronto FC , he was replaced in Toronto by Giovinco from Juventus and Italian national team .Last year Govinco was the top scorer in MSL , this season Toronto FC scored 8 goals ,Giovinco scored 6 of them .
Do yourself favor ,get this guy .

I'd love to see Giovinco on AFCB, he's simply too good for MLS. I wanna see my favourite player challenged and score big goals on the big stage but I don't know if he'd consider leaving because he makes $7million US dollars a year here and I can't see TFC ever letting him go no matter how high the transfer fee.

The company that owns TFC is a multibillion dollar corporation and it would be virtually impossible to find someone even close to as good as him as a replacement. The team needs to succeed now, the fans are getting restless, its been 10 years and we haven't even won a single playoff game!

I'm just compering these to , Toronto could not wait to get rid of Defoe, Giovinco is different he wants to win not just cash the checks. .I just feel sorry for him .He has no supporting cast. Bradley plays like he wants to keep his shirt dry. The other American tank is not clicking . There is no one else to put the ball in the net even from 3 feet away. They could easily win in Portland today . Giovinco was pushed, kicked ,knocked down .

badkeeper - 2/5/2016 03:23

I'm just compering these to , Toronto could not wait to get rid of Defoe, Giovinco is different he wants to win not just cash the checks. .I just feel sorry for him .He has no supporting cast. Bradley plays like he wants to keep his shirt dry. The other American tank is not clicking . There is no one else to put the ball in the net even from 3 feet away. They could easily win in Portland today . Giovinco was pushed, kicked ,knocked down .

Ah gotcha. Yea that's what I love about Giovinco, he wants to win so bad. The surrounding cast was woeful today, we should have scored at least 3 or 4. He was putting crosses/corners on a platter all game and sitter after sitter was missed, very frustrating.

What is special about Giovinco ,he makes people around him better players than they are, Defoe is about himself.
Giovinco uses his small frame to his advantage but at the same time he is very durable. I don't think he missed a game last season.

Going back to the original post. Of course Defoe could a job for us, but I don't think it will happen unless Sunderland go down and someone forces us to sell Wilson.

badkeeper - 2/5/2016 22:50

What is special about Giovinco ,he makes people around him better players than they are, Defoe is about himself.
Giovinco uses his small frame to his advantage but at the same time he is very durable. I don't think he missed a game last season.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I think it would be a bloody shame if he doesn't get selected by Conte for the Euros! And I think you're right about him not missing a game last year too, very durable indeed.

MB1980 - 30/4/2016 21:29

The Alchemist - 30/4/2016 20:39

So we were happy to pay £16 million plus wages if Iturbe had worked out yet Defoe would be too expensive ?

I think maths lessons are needed for some on here.

I'd rather pay that for the right player in his early twenties who had the potential and ability to be top class, than someone in their mid thirties who's past his best and will have zero value for future transfers.

I'd rather pay for the right player regardless of age. The problem with younger players with clear talent is they are usually expensive and/ or snapped up by the big academies. If you are looking to develop a rough diamond type player it can take years to get the best out of them and is an investment that comes with its own risks.

Defoe has proved he can still do a job in difficult circumstances which suggests that he could be a shoe in up front, but we need to make sure he fits in with our current style and ethos.

Another opportunist goal yesterday just when Sunderland needed it.

Could be he will be a Premier League player next season, still with Sunderland?

Still a top quality player. Get the ball to him and he scores. Sunderland would be dead and buried without him because the rest of their side is dreadful.

Loved Defoe during his days with us but I think now it's too late.

It's not about his age, it's because I don't think he'd fit with how we play now and in future.

;