Jermain Defoe

I don't get this "not playing Defoe to his strengths" arguement.

Eddie has developed a style of play over the past 10 years which has proved extremely successful. Why would you want to change that to accommodate someone like Defoe or Murray? Especially when those players are some of the weakest in the squad

I don't get this "not playing Defoe to his strengths" arguement.

Eddie has developed a style of play over the past 10 years which has proved extremely successful. Why would you want to change that to accommodate someone like Defoe or Murray? Especially when those players are some of the weakest in the squad

Then why sign them?

Then why sign them?

Look at Defoe's goal vs crystal palace for what he can create out of nothing. Murray's goals vs Chelsea and City as an example of how to unlock top defenses, something we still struggle with at times. Different tools for different jobs, like Kenwyne Jones in the championship. Eddie likes to keep the other team guessing but as soon as we develop more attacking options he lets the other players move on to help their careers.

In hindsight, Defoe was never going to work out here and we were never going play to his strengths... As has been said on this thread several times, Eddie plays 'his' way, and not once has he bucked under pressure to change that way...

Murray's inability to 'fit in' was unfortunately a consequence of Wilson getting injured... Had he stayed fit, I am sure Murray would have had a hatful playing alongside him.

As for Defoe, he is a Vardy style of player and for all his incredible skill, he doesn't work hard enough to get himself in the game, when it's not around him. That was proven by the several occasions he was subbed off having had less than 10 touches in the game.

Eddie saw this (no idea how he didn't already know this) and chose not too play him again... I'm personally surprised it took so long for him to get farmed out...

A good friend is a bluenose, and he was asking me about what song for him. I mentioned that we sing about his ten in a row, but they might want to make something different, as that might stick in the craw

It's good that we've moved him on, but I wouldn't call the signing a failure, to anyone who may be insinuating this. Won us some important points last season, and no doubt has helped our other strikers (and probably most of the squad) to improve their game. Might have gone a bit better for him here if he didn't get injured for a few months last season.

Bit like the Afobe one; we signed Benik, he helped us stay up for a couple of seasons, got 10 Premier League goals for us, then we moved him on without making a loss once he wasn't to the required standard. Thats how most transfers go tbh, I think we've become accustomed to players just sort of staying around for quite a long time.

;