Jim Frevola Interview

An excellent article depicting a vision and strategy which makes commercial sense, albeit that it will inevitably disenfranchise some fans unfortunately.

What this feature also loudly demonstrates is the incompetence, lack of experience and vision on the part of both Blake and Mostyn hitherto (as the day to day executive management of the club) and Demin also to a degree as the owner. The club has effectively been stagnating for some time despite success on the pitch.

Thank goodness for the arrival of Bill and Jim.
Talk about rewriting history. These guys are much wealthier than Maxim was, and to call him incompetent after all he did is ungrateful at best.

I may have misread the irony here. If so apologies.

He seems to have been successful in his own country and is basically doing the job he was brought in for and that is to increase revenue coming into our club.

I suppose with our smaller stadium than other clubs, going for the hospitality approach which does seem to attract people on a match day from some comments on here re they selllout, that is where the revenue comes from and not just ‘bums on seats’.

So it may upset some of our fans, but he is basically just doing his job.

These three paras from the COWS article when he joined our club.

“I am thrilled to have Jim Frevola alongside us as we embark on this endeavour with AFC Bournemouth", said Chairman and owner Bill Foley.

"He played a key role in building the Vegas Golden Knights and has a wide range of experience across successful entities in sports business. He will bring a trusted perspective to the club that will help us build long-term success on and off the pitch.”

Previously, Jim has worked for the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFL, as well as MLB side Florida Marlins. He also enjoyed success in growing revenues 350% over a three year period for the UFC, when serving as the organisation’s Vice President of North American Marketing Partnerships.

I remember years ago getting a phone call from the club doing a survey and asking questions about would I know other people who would go to games in a bigger stadium. I wonder if they have any of that data still (albeit about 5 years out of date).

I know several people who would go to games but can't really be bothered enough to fight for tickets or keep an eye out for games that go down to lower points.

A bigger stadium would definitely increase the problem of away fans in the home end but should be something that resolves over time as the regular fanbase would increase.

Why not issue a debenture type scheme.

Fans can pay £x to guarantee the option to buy a season ticket as and when a new stadium is built.

Just need to decide what x is. High enough to demonstrate commitment but low enough to be accessible.

Maybe have various values of x so as to guarantee different types of seating (Hospitality, Ends, Sides, Halfway line, padded seat, in play screen, complimentary foot massage, ...)

No new stadium in 5 years then you get your money back.

Wouldn't be precise but would be extra "hard" info to help the decision making.

Fans can pay £x to guarantee the option to buy a season ticket as and when a new stadium is built.

Just need to decide what x is. High enough to demonstrate commitment but low enough to be accessible.

Maybe have various values of x so as to guarantee different types of seating (Hospitality, Ends, Sides, Halfway line, padded seat, in play screen, complimentary foot massage, ...)

Perversely this is seemingly exactly what they did to gauge demand when they took Ice Hockey to Las Vegas.

There was no historical database of supporters, no data on ticket sales for a decade to show levels of demand. No tents and hotdogs deals.

They just opened up a season ticket waiting list, reached 15,000+ before the franchise was even awarded to them.

Hampshire Cricket are a good example of expanding the hospitality aspect and "they will come". A difficult pathway along the way including being bailed out by the local authority but they have achieved Test match ground status a thriving hospitality arm and a few traditional fans still come to watch the cricket.

He says that they aim to figure out a waiting list. Once they commit to a new stadium they will have a sales plan in place so I'd imagine a lot of options on the table.

Talk about rewriting history. These guys are much wealthier than Maxim was, and to call him incompetent after all he did is ungrateful at best.

I may have misread the irony here. If so apologies.
You haven’t missed the irony Rob as there isn’t any.

This is not about wealth, it’s about wealth creation. Something that has been lacking in the club over many years. My criticism was mainly levied towards Blake and Mostyn (as you’d expect a greater level of return than has been seen) but Demin isn’t without fault albeit we all owe him a huge debt of gratitude for everything he for the club.

However it was unbelievably naive on the part of Demin to pay a CEO c£2m a year only to see the level of commercial and infrastructure stagnation, together with a wholesale lack of vision, as is so clearly highlighted in this article.

This is not about wealth, it’s about wealth creation. Something that has been lacking in the club over many years. My criticism was mainly levied towards Blake and Mostyn (as you’d expect a greater level of return than has been seen) but Demin isn’t without fault albeit we all owe him a huge debt of gratitude for everything he for the club.

However it was unbelievably naive on the part of Demin to pay a CEO c£2m a year only to see the level of commercial and infrastructure stagnation, together with a wholesale lack of vision, as is so clearly highlighted in this article.

Tbf the club froze ticket prices for eight years and kept a bar that clearly could have been used more profitably, what's wrong with that?

Well I enjoyed the ride, and they did it well.

Exactly this... I've mentioned this before, about getting fans to offer some form of commitment to buying season tickets... This could quite easily be done in stages to weed out the wannabees...

Jim mentioned in the article that getting a survey done and getting folks to part with money are two very different tasks... I agree with this for a variety of reasons, and it could be as simple as a lot can change in one's life between signing a piece of paper and parting with cash..

So, start with paper-based, online, in-person pre game research... 'If the opportunity arose, would you buy a Season Ticket and how many? Where you you like to sit and how much woud you be prepared to pay for said ticket(s). Would you be prepared to be contacted again for the next level of understtanding...?

The next phase would be to put words into a commitment for actions... If X ticket(s) were on sale at X price, would you be interested...If so, would you consider paying X (deposit) to guarantee a seat(s) in a new stadium... in a specific place...? (as mentioned it is determining what X is)

The final phase would be to get folks to stump up cash, or a payment plan to commit to the cause of having a seat in 2/3 years' time in a new DC...

Now I am sure I've not considered a million and one things, but you get the drift...

Edited to say that I too thought the article was quite enlightening... I do however feel a bit of open forum or Q and A is needed before this situation escalates...

Is it me or is he a bit ambiguous about whether it's a new ground or extended current ground?
I was a bit confused by this section as it seemed to roll from expansion into new ground, or is he still talking about expansion with the 'clunky bowl' comments ... Either way I think it is positive that they are seriously considering both options...

Interesting that expansion is 3-4 years but new build 2-3 years...

;