Jim Frevola

I think maybe... the 'on the pitch' excitement is possibly what the majority of fans would very much like.. and would certainly be the place to start .
That ...was 'meant to be' sarcasm.
I sincerely hope thats how it comes across....
What are your thoughts on the podcast?

Think he mentioned putting up song lyrics on the scoreboard. Pretty dreadful and tinpot.

Although I don't think the sex offender chant will get an airing, what chants would people like to see on the scoreboard?

It was one of the few things that I reacted negatively to when I was listened to the podcast.

No, no and no. I will be contacting Mr Foley to tell him of my views.

I have attended a couple of top flight matches in the USA where they put the lyrics up to songs on the screen. It's like some kind of pseudo karaoke which most people just ignore because they're too busy wolfing down hot dogs and watered-down beer.

Then, where does it stop? Will there be instructions on the screen to raise your scarves when there's a corner? You might think that's a bit weird, but it actually happens at matches stateside. I've got the photographic evidence to prove it.

The whole thing about football chants is that they are spontaneous and you can choose whether to join in or not. When itchants become orchestrated and arranged it's synthetic and pathetic.

As it happens, I'm on my way to the USA today and I have a possibility to go and watch Salt Lake City vs Austin on Saturday. I probably won't bother, I'll just stay in the pub celebrating our victory over Aston Villa wishing that I had been at Villa Park instead.

PS. Can you imagine the "21 players and are all fucking shite" chant being led from the big screen?

Think he mentioned putting up song lyrics on the scoreboard. Pretty dreadful and tinpot.

Although I don't think the sex offender chant will get an airing, what chants would people like to see on the scoreboard?
I thought the same, all seems a bit contrived, spoon feeding us our 'matchday experience'..

As it happens, I'm on my way to the USA today and I have a possibility to go and watch Salt Lake City vs Austin on Saturday. I probably won't bother, I'll just stay in the pub celebrating our victory over Aston Villa wishing that I had been at Villa Park instead.
probably a good thing that you won't be at Villa park this Saturday, as we're at home to Liverpool.

As said, they launched this against Manchester City.

Now not being in the north stand anymore it was difficult to tell but every time I noticed a chant on the big screen it was being sung.

I don’t know which came first. Whether it appeared on screen so they sung it, or they sung it and they stuck it up on the big screen, but either way it’s already happened.

(must confess, I’ve never sung “from Dean Court to Wembley”, always sang it without the “from”, will find it rather funny if I’ve been singing it wrong all these decades…)

Now not being in the north stand anymore it was difficult to tell but every time I noticed a chant on the big screen it was being sung.

I don’t know which came first. Whether it appeared on screen so they sung it, or they sung it and they stuck it up on the big screen, but either way it’s already happened.

(must confess, I’ve never sung “from Dean Court to Wembley”, always sang it without the “from”, will find it rather funny if I’ve been singing it wrong all these decades…)

I think it will be great seeing "you're going to get your fucking head kicked in" on the big screen.

At the game it looked as if the score board was responding to chants already started by the fans. If it's done this way round then that's fine by me, what you don't want is the score board randomly popping up lyrics to try and contrive an atmosphere.

At the game it looked as if the score board was responding to chants already started by the fans. If it's done this way round then that's fine by me, what you don't want is the score board randomly popping up lyrics to try and contrive an atmosphere.

I don’t see it as that much of an issue. We get a corner, stick “Boscombe, back of the net” up. Have the Nonny video, have “red army” chant up. The kids love it and it’s not exactly that much of a problem.

It was one of the few things that I reacted negatively to when I was listened to the podcast.

No, no and no. I will be contacting Mr Foley to tell him of my views.

I have attended a couple of top flight matches in the USA where they put the lyrics up to songs on the screen. It's like some kind of pseudo karaoke which most people just ignore because they're too busy wolfing down hot dogs and watered-down beer.

Then, where does it stop? Will there be instructions on the screen to raise your scarves when there's a corner? You might think that's a bit weird, but it actually happens at matches stateside. I've got the photographic evidence to prove it.

The whole thing about football chants is that they are spontaneous and you can choose whether to join in or not. When itchants become orchestrated and arranged it's synthetic and pathetic.

PS. Can you imagine the "21 players and are all fucking shite" chant being led from the big screen?

I must admit it made me feel a little uncomfortable until he provided the rationale.

The positive is that it makes it accessible to newer fans and can help chants move around the ground. If it's possible to be reactive to what's being sung rather than it being pushed out as a prompt then I'd agree.

Personaly I'm not afraid that some lyrics on a screen will make me any less passionate about getting involved.

The only downside I could see is that it would naturally have to filter out chants with swearing in it which could sanitise the songs that get adopted.

Definitely went on screen after the chant had started... I have no objection to it for corners etc. and if they need to put 'Red Flag' then go for it, but as most have said on here... Lets not make supporting your team prescriptive to the point where we're being told what gets chanted...

PLEASE no song sheets... !!!!!

Definitely went on screen after the chant had started... I have no objection to it for corners etc. and if they need to put 'Red Flag' then go for it, but as most have said on here... Lets not make supporting your team prescriptive to the point where we're being told what gets chanted...

I can’t see it going that way. They’ll stick stuff up, people will either join in or they won’t. If people join in and others don’t like that, then they have a choice to either not join in or sing something else. Either way, it’ll only be on screen if it’s successful.

They have those in America too!

I think it will be great seeing "you're going to get your fucking head kicked in" on the big screen.
Agree… but the one that’s got me on the edge of my seat is ‘lino you’re a c*nt’ they can always angle the screen away from the family block.

If we are going to borrow anything from US sports arenas it should be a) kiss cam and b) T-shirt cannons firing kits into the crowd. Just to irritate @RobTrent ;)

;