Joe Rothwell

To have better players on the bench you would have to rotate the starting eleven more. We just seem to have a basic eleven as starters so squad players fill in when we have a couple out injured.

I thought Rothwell then Christie and Billing came off too early. These players should have 90 minutes in them especially when we haven't had a mid week game.

I've been impressed with Rothwell. Always looking to play the ball forwards.

People really need to come to terms with the fact that Lewis Cook is not only not the player that we hoped he would become, he isn’t even the player that he once was.

He has never been able to dominate a midfield consistently at any level, but he did at least use to have the ability to drive forward with the ball and carry the team up the pitch. He just can’t do it anymore. Without this ability, there is absolutely nothing that makes him stand out over your typical bog standard championship midfielder. If you are honest and evaluate him for what he is now, he contributes very little to the team at this level and clearly needs to be moved on.

People really need to come to terms with the fact that Lewis Cook is not only not the player that we hoped he would become, he isn’t even the player that he once was.

He has never been able to dominate a midfield consistently at any level, but he did at least use to have the ability to drive forward with the ball and carry the team up the pitch. He just can’t do it anymore. Without this ability, there is absolutely nothing that makes him stand out over your typical bog standard championship midfielder. If you are honest and evaluate him for what he is now, he contributes very little to the team at this level and clearly needs to be moved on.

I think he's an option from the bench. But I don't think he fulfills either of our central mid roles particularly to level required now, sadly.

He's not particularly adept at either of the cm positions O Neil likes to deploy now. Maybe as an option to 'sure' things up in some games, but he's not aggressive, strong, quick enough as a cdm for us, or dynamic enough in the CM role that Rothwell is breathing life into.

He's almost like a defensive minded Deep Lying playmaker, whereas from what I can tell Lerma is more of a ballwinning def mid type and Rothwell is more of a supporting playmaker, which is more dynamic than defensive orientated playmaker Cook is.

I agree, he hasn't, lived up to his younger potential, when he was once one of the hot prospects in English football. He seemed to travel forwards the ball more often, and be more creative. Whether its injuries disrupting his development, or Neil Moss, he hasn't reached the heights he looked destined for imo/

He seems a better player with a run of a few consecutive games under his belt. He isn't going to get that from the bench and seems to struggle to impact a game when coming on as a sub.

I think he'd probably be better off at a club where he'll make 25+ starts in a season, and agree that he's not at the level he was / we hoped he'd be. Just don't think him as a bit part bench player is the right thing for either us or him.

Don't know why everyone is so surprised..... Lewis Cook has never been as good as our fanbase thought he was.....I told you all this six years ago.

Lewis Cook and Joe Rothwell need a pre season. If Jefferson is off they may end up playing together, but you'd have to hope that Bill has some loose change for an upgrade in centre midfield.

He seems a better player with a run of a few consecutive games under his belt. He isn't going to get that from the bench and seems to struggle to impact a game when coming on as a sub.

I think he'd probably be better off at a club where he'll make 25+ starts in a season, and agree that he's not at the level he was / we hoped he'd be. Just don't think him as a bit part bench player is the right thing for either us or him.
Spot on.

Never particularly rated Cook but outside of a few narrow scenarios I struggle to see the value in "ball recycling" players as to me it's just slowly surrendering possession.

I acknowledge that far more experienced and learned people in football value them though so it's probably just me.

;