Joe Rothwell

If you want to ignore a signing on fee that is always bigger with a free, all his wages for 18 months and the fact we don’t know if we are getting a loan fee….. yes.

He's played his part, sure he could have played more but then if he did whosever place he took would be wasted wages and signing on fee according to your logic. That's just what happens when you have 25 man squads.

Every team in the league is paying 25 players' wages.

He's played his part, sure he could have played more but then if he did whosever place he took would be wasted wages and signing on fee according to your logic. That's just what happens when you have 25 man squads.

Every team in the league is paying 25 players' wages.
I didn’t argue any of the above. I was just saying you can’t say because someone was free that a potential loan fee means you’ve made a profit. He was essential in that little purple patch that kept us up and had a fine game in the Spurs victory so more than earnt his wages in my book.

I didn’t argue any of the above. I was just saying you can’t say because someone was free that a potential loan fee means you’ve made a profit. He was essential in that little purple patch that kept us up and had a fine game in the Spurs victory so more than earnt his wages in my book.

I'm not sure why it matters of he's a marginal profit or loss tbh. Agree though he was a decent signing, especially for 'free'. Like a lot of squad players though it's not surprising he wants to play.

Top championship player, debatable if pl level on consistent basis imo.regardlless of whether he suits AI style or not.

Right decision to offload and use wages on better players/prospects imo.

Top championship player, debatable if pl level on consistent basis imo.regardlless of whether he suits AI style or not.

Right decision to offload and use wages on better players/prospects imo.
Hasn't really had a proper chance imo because of injuries and other players doing so damned well. If loan goes really well, we can re-assess or hopefully for him, Saints will keep him. Am fairly sure we'll see him again in PL again whether that's with us or another team.

Good shout. Can still live here, and get exposure in high confidence, strong team.

Very odd situation almost now. A lot of potential, but he's moving into mid twenties.

Clearly has something about him, but surely 1st team pro football necessity for him.

I'm not one of kilkenny circle jerk clan on here, who were demanding he plated all the time few years ago. But he does have something special about him.

Woukdbt surprise me if he left in summer for lower champ side, then ended up pl after finalky blossoming from regular football.

Not sure he'll be good enough for us sadly now, on current trajectory of club, but I'd like ti see us retain him, and couple of season long loans just to be sure, rather than cut him loose prematurely.

Perhaps AI assessed and felt nearly ready for pl football .... unlikely but could be reason not loaned in summer. Perhaps he'll move up pecking order if Rothwell leaves.
Reckon he's still our best passer, followed very closely by Christie

I don’t understand strengthening Southampton at all. If we want to get his wages off the books there would be other takers.

Our strategic interest is to be the areas only Premier League catchment club. We missed the chance to relegate them a few years back and cast them into the wilderness when they had a poor squad. Last year they had an ok squad just poor management choices. They’ve got an excellent manager now and stand a great chance of coming up. We should not be aiding that. Disappointed with this move which to me lacks strategic thought.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

;