Jon Moss

Bit distressing that we're turning on a whistleblower for corrrectly calling out at best unproffesionalism (if not outright bias) in an incredibly important part of football.

I guess Moss is lucky he picked on a player from an unfasionable club with a self loathing fan base.

Wonder what the impact would've been if he said that to Rashford or Sterling after a streak of poor game changing decisions against their club.

We're certainly not winning any friends over it ,that's for sure. Having spent the last 5 seasons watching other clubs 'top players' falling over, rolling around and begging with the ref to book an opponent you sort of understand that it's part of the game at this level. Whilst I don't disagree that we have a certain number of players that make me cringe on occasions I don't believe that we are particularly worse than some other clubs. However, I do believe that referees hold a certain view about us and we get treated unfairly before we've even kicked off. Jon Moss has just confirmed that with a lack of respect and a certain amount of contempt towards our players last Sunday. How Goslings comments will affect the rest of our season who knows. Who directed him to say them, we'll never know. What was actually said by Moss will never be made public. What we do know is that the rest of the season will be littered with refereeing inconsistencies, mind boggling decisions, and a ' top 6' bias. We have to live with that, do our best and get on with trying to stay up.

This might shine some light on it.

Relevant paras, the rest on link.

But then, as the interview appeared to be winding down with a look ahead at the weeks to come, I asked Gosling if the upcoming winter break had arrived at a good time to allow Cherries to mentally prepare for the final big push in their battle to avoid relegation. They currently sit two points outside the bottom three.

It was then that Gosling launched into the string of comments which have since gone on to be discussed by the biggest media outlets in the country.

He said: “Even a draw today (Sunday) would’ve been a good result in the end. It’s disappointing to lose really. The second half we didn’t really pass the ball but, like I said, the ref didn’t help. Giving soft fouls away and little comments to two or three of the lads didn’t help as well really. I thought it was very disrespectful what he was saying.”

Asked if he was referring to the flashpoint where Blades boss Chris Wilder and Cherries midfielder Andrew Surman were both cautioned following a scuffle on the touchline, as Gosling claimed a foul following a challenge with John Egan, he added: “Obviously I was down and didn’t really see what went on after that.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...jon-moss-saga-unfolded-raises-lots-questions/

interesting that Martin Samuel in the mail writes today that moss’ comments were in response to gosling blaming the ref for afcb being in the relegation trouble. IF that is true then it paints a different picture of the comments. Trouble is we don’t know the real truth so, once again, fans left in the dark.

interesting that Martin Samuel in the mail writes today that moss’ comments were in response to gosling blaming the ref for afcb being in the relegation trouble. IF that is true then it paints a different picture of the comments. Trouble is we don’t know the real truth so, once again, fans left in the dark.

Indeed and exactly how would he know?

The fact that no charges were brought against Gosling where as Deeney was fined £20k for lesser allegations could be more of an indicator.

Interesting and relatively one sided discussion that I've just gone through. I had some interaction with a referee recently and it should be noted that although the referees are there to be professional, so are the players.

A part of this is the on field relationship between the two. Some aspects are simple such as parties interacting on first name terms, others where give and take happens, eg. there is a "level" as to what becomes dissent. Have it noted that it's allegedly about 8 years since a PL player has been dismissed for foul and abusive language and how many times have you lip read "F*** off ref" on TV and not been outraged about a red card?!

You see players and referees having a laugh on the pitch and banter does occur both ways, so to me it's sounded a bit like sour grapes and excuses from Gosling. Something has probably been said by Moss but no worse than some of the comments made towards him during the game. You say it should be consistent, but every game is different with regards to the "temperature" of it and how it evolves, so it has to be managed differently; no different to how you adjust styles in your work office.

As a further note, the AFCB players are not amongst some of the most popular to officiate in refereeing circles. So maybe in-house behaviour should be looked at first before making comments publicly.

It would be interesting to know when these comments were made. Surely not in the first half when we were 1-0 up or when it was 1-1 as the equaliser never came from a reffing error.

Perhaps he resents little old Bournemouth being in the Premiership whilst where he lives, Leeds United, can't get out of the Championship.

I keep seeing the same points being made, that aren't relevant to the actual problem at hand.

Yes, Gosling is being a bit of a pussy in this instance, whether its his own thoughts or if he's (most likely) serving as a proxy for the clubs thoughts on the situation, it just looks like handbags and sour grapes, given what Moss said wasn't really that bad, if we're being honest. And tbh, I didn't think Moss had a bad game, and to blame the loss on the ref in this instance is wrong, IMO.

Yes, most players don't really respect the refs as much as they should. Referees no doubt get abuse hurled at them for the performances by players, and respect is a two-way street. From a "moral" standpoint, I wouldn't begrudge a referee having a bit of light banter with the players if they're getting OTT stick from them. Plus, we don't have the whole context of the conversation.

However, there's already an inbuilt solution to this problem of abuse; if a player is abusing a ref, they get issued a booking or a red card. Its that simple. If a player is telling the ref to f*** off and that he's shite at his job, you book the player, and then if it continues, you send him off. If Moss made these comments because of something one of our players said, then he's a moron for not knowing how to manage the situation properly.

I don't think anyone here actually has an issue with Moss making some snidey comments in response to any abuse he was getting; but the fact that he made these comments throughout the game, could be an indicator of bias in his performance. As far as I'm concerned, that's the issue at hand, not whether Moss was justified in his comments. Of course he's "justified", Premier League players on the pitch are mostly whining, cheating little children. But as a professional, experienced referee, he shouldn't be making these kinds of comments ever, as they bring his role on the pitch into disrepute. And the fact that Gosling hasn't been charged at all is VERY telling to me. This would indicate that Moss is in the wrong, but unlike the on-pitch bookings and off-the-pitch fines that players receive, he's probably not going to be punished.

Just my thoughts on it all anyway.

Last edited:
Bang on, Chris Sutton.
Some are forever whinging about injury lists and dodgy refs, and terrible fixture run-ins and Fraser's sulks, and no money to spend on transfer fees. All to detract from the manager and most of team being simply not up for it.

Refs often give out banter with the players, this is not unusual and not to be taken to heart.
Exactly this!

I just wish this hadn't gone out to the media, its opened up the world and his wife the chance to take a pop at us.

Indeed and exactly how would he know?

The fact that no charges were brought against Gosling where as Deeney was fined £20k for lesser allegations could be more of an indicator.

Sadly, without clear and effective communication by the game’s regulators, the void is filled by speculation and conjecture from people who don’t know. I do think Martin Samuel is, in general, one of the better columnists though.

I just wish this hadn't gone out to the media, its opened up the world and his wife the chance to take a pop at us.

I suppose it might create that siege mentality others have mentioned; while it would be better to have that naturally occur from other teams being jealous of us, like in the Championship, I'm not above us employing tactics like this if motivates the players and helps keep us up.

Bit distressing that we're turning on a whistleblower for corrrectly calling out at best unproffesionalism (if not outright bias) in an incredibly important part of football.

I guess Moss is lucky he picked on a player from an unfasionable club with a self loathing fan base.

Wonder what the impact would've been if he said that to Rashford or Sterling after a streak of poor game changing decisions against their club.

Not too sure he earns the title of whistleblower !! Whiner might be closer. There was a lot of unprofessionalism on the pitch and it wasn't all attributed to Moss.
I feel this should have been dealt with in house.

Last edited:
Interesting and relatively one sided discussion that I've just gone through. I had some interaction with a referee recently and it should be noted that although the referees are there to be professional, so are the players.

A part of this is the on field relationship between the two. Some aspects are simple such as parties interacting on first name terms, others where give and take happens, eg. there is a "level" as to what becomes dissent. Have it noted that it's allegedly about 8 years since a PL player has been dismissed for foul and abusive language and how many times have you lip read "F*** off ref" on TV and not been outraged about a red card?!

You see players and referees having a laugh on the pitch and banter does occur both ways, so to me it's sounded a bit like sour grapes and excuses from Gosling. Something has probably been said by Moss but no worse than some of the comments made towards him during the game. You say it should be consistent, but every game is different with regards to the "temperature" of it and how it evolves, so it has to be managed differently; no different to how you adjust styles in your work office.

As a further note, the AFCB players are not amongst some of the most popular to officiate in refereeing circles. So maybe in-house behaviour should be looked at first before making comments publicly.
So pgmol officials are prejudiced against certain players and make this information available to those in their preferred circles but wont go public on this bias.
Moss has previous in having to apologise for a bad decision against an afcb player.

So pgmol officials are prejudiced against certain players and make this information available to those in their preferred circles but wont go public on this bias.
Moss has previous in having to apologise for a bad decision against an afcb player.

Not what I said. But if it keeps your narrative happy, carry on.

What are these refereeing circles that share information on which players to dislike and interpret the laws of the game differently for them?

It would be interesting to know when these comments were made. Surely not in the first half when we were 1-0 up or when it was 1-1 as the equaliser never came from a reffing error.

Perhaps he resents little old Bournemouth being in the Premiership whilst where he lives, Leeds United, can't get out of the Championship.

So it's Leeds United's fault? :arrghh:

I think Goslings comments are indicative of two things 1) the victim culture that currently runs through our club (and a section of people on here) and 2) the continued poor performance or advice of whoever does PR at our club.

Grow up Dan. There are people watching their kids in hospital mate... a ref jokingly pointing out that you were having a mare when you spent the whole game chasing your first touch is something you should be a little bit more resilient about in my opinion. No wonder we are underperforming against our collective talent if we can’t overcome that.

Also coming hot on the heels of Ryan telling us he tossed it off till Christmas and every member of the squad telling us we have got to all get it together on and off the pitch the day before they go out and give up when they go a goal behind our PR is becoming laughably embarrassing.

Don’t get me started on the diving, rolling and yelping. For the rest of the season can we just play like we care and keep our mouths shut and try and rescue something out of this dreadfully managed season.

Refs have to declare who they support so that they don't take charge of that team's matches. He's a Sunderland fan.

;