Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing wrong with wanting better performances, it's just deluded to think even a big name manager would do any better in such a short space of time.

Like I said before who knows if Woodgate is any good but he's done as good as could be expected over the last three games.

As I said before though Zippy from Rainbow could have got a bounce from these individually talented players, that doesn't make Woodgate a great manager just because we beat an awful Birmingham and Burnley reserves. Sometimes the answer is not within and today showed that. Unless we win the playoffs miraculously then Brooks will be sold and a few others will go and we're on year 2 of parachute payments. Perhaps you need to think about the bigger picture rather than appointing Woodgate as that's what we've done and failed at - Groves being the last one. Do you have it in you to think anyone from outside could manager this club or are you that ingrained in tinpotness?

As I said before though Zippy from Rainbow could have got a bounce from these individually talented players, that doesn't make Woodgate a great manager just because we beat an awful Birmingham and Burnley reserves. Sometimes the answer is not within and today showed that. Unless we win the playoffs miraculously then Brooks will be sold and a few others will go and we're on year 2 of parachute payments. Perhaps you need to think about the bigger picture rather than appointing Woodgate as that's what we've done and failed at - Groves being the last one. Do you have it in you to think anyone from outside could manager this club or are you that ingrained in tinpotness?

1. I've never said Woodgate is the answer, just that it's impossible to tell after 2 league games + 1 cup. We have been in relegation form and given the situation any new manager would have prioritized damage limitation first over playing style.

Whether we like it or not, going into the game Forest were favorites yesterday, they were/are in promotion form, we aren't.

2. For the record Woodgate is an outsider.

How about a manager that knows all about AFCB and has managed a side who were top scorers in the championship after 10 games? Oh, hang on, we’ve just sacked him.

Firstly second top scorers

1613378608419.png

...and after the other 16 games? :unsure:

Last edited:
Harry Redknapp's first three games as AFCB caretaker manager in 1982

Scored 1
Conceded 15

Lost 2 Drawn 1.

You cannot judge somebody after three games.

I sort of agree with you but the difference between Harry and Woodgate is that Harry recognised there were weaknesses in the team in those days. They had an horrendous pre-season and subsequently he sold Colin Clarke to Southampton pre-season. He already had a leader in Mark Newson, then he bought Tony Pulis, Carl Richards, Gerry Peyton, Trevor Aylott and later Richard Cook and Willo.

The squad in 2021 is supposed to be individually talented and arguably, walking this league, so we need a manager who can weld a bunch of players into a team.

There was a certain irony in the video on COWS of the Players having a jolly good time with their shooting practice before the last match. I wonder if someone should explain the word 'training'.

Yes surely, he's 21 now, get him up to speed for any potential playoffs or pointless keeping him on the books if we're not going to play him.

The ideal opportunity for him would have been the FA Cup game V Burnley... However, we say it with Surridge almost twice weekly... If the coaches and two managers have not felt he is ready, or better than Rico or Kelly, then I guess you have to assume, what they see just isn't quite a starter yet...?

The ideal opportunity for him would have been the FA Cup game V Burnley... However, we say it with Surridge almost twice weekly... If the coaches and two managers have not felt he is ready, or better than Rico or Kelly, then I guess you have to assume, what they see just isn't quite a starter yet...?
But woodgates position if I were him would have to play your strongest team rather than take a gamble with a youngster.
I agree maybe they don’t think they are good enough or maybe as they are less established names , it is easier to drop them

Not playing people like SS and other younger players worries me. What has Sam got to do to get a regular game? He's showed he can be a right nuisance to defenders and has goals in him. Play the man for goodness sake! He could make a big difference. Nine or ten minutes isn't enough to get into a game.

Agreed if we're looking for goals, with Solanke injured we only have Surridge (or potentially Danjuma) able to play as goalscoring CF.

Excellent article TC, thanks for posting.
I think it shows us a side of JW which many may not have been aware of.
On Wednesday he has another opportunity to show us that he is the man for the job. I wish him well in that endeavour.

Get a win and good performance against Rotherham....Woodgate would get my vote for the rest of the season.

;