Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The second point implies either that the CEO has no other friends, or simply chose Tindall on the basis he knew him.

As for the first, I don't think because its a common opinion it necessarily makes it true. EH went into that role with no experience, and all good leaders draw from those around them.
Well, he didn't employ JT on the basis of a glittering managerial CV!

JW has either got the spirit back in the dressing room and got the players backing.

The other side, maybe the players have realised there best chance back into the top league is winning promotion and time and games are running out.
Credit where credit is due . JW has got the belief into the players

I think Woodgate brings a change from players having to adapt to a system to a system that adapts to the players.

The former is what enables League One players to grow into Premier League players with a team stronger then the sum of it's parts and the later is what helps you stich together some results to keep a promotion challenge alive.

I think Woodgate brings a change from players having to adapt to a system to a system that adapts to the players.

The former is what enables League One players to grow into Premier League players with a team stronger then the sum of it's parts and the later is what helps you stich together some results to keep a promotion challenge alive.
I’ll take that right now.

Really? Can you talk me through that? The formation we have played over the last few matches is a formation that has worked since the dawn of football. But apparently its Woodgate not planning for the future.

Are you really suggesting the best way to manage is to create weird formations that players are not comfortable playing just to be "different"?

I'd appreciate you talking me through why there is a difference.

Really? Can you talk me through that? The formation we have played over the last few matches is a formation that has worked since the dawn of football. But apparently its Woodgate not planning for the future.

Are you really suggesting the best way to manage is to create weird formations that players are not comfortable playing just to be "different"?

Not sure this is right. They played with ridiculous formations for the best part of 100 years from the dawn of football until the Hungarians taught everyone how to play in the 50s.

I'm not entirely sure Woodgate has worked wonders, but we were truly spoiled with Eddie, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. What he has done, however, is build confidence by getting the players to focus on the basics and simplifying things which takes the pressure off our flair players to deliver. Interestingly, Danjuma is playing with more freedom and fluidity but he's recognised that a team needs a nucleus and he seems more integrated now. His tracking back vs Cov was notable. Billing and Kelly look like different players, so we have to give JW some credit there.

I invite challenges to my observation but the way you've distorted my post doesn't give me high hopes of a very constructive debate.

I invite challenges to my observation but the way you've distorted my post doesn't give me high hopes of a very constructive debate.

I must have read it wrong? You seemed to be suggesting that playing different formations and positions every match can turn players in to Prem players but sticking with the same players in the same formation is just a "band aid" over the quality of the team for short term game?

I must have read it wrong? You seemed to be suggesting that playing different formations and positions every match can turn players in to Prem players but sticking with the same players in the same formation is just a "band aid" over the quality of the team for short term game?

Quite the opposite, I was suggesting that having a strong system and moulding players into it is a pattern I've observed from many managers who have been successful over the longer term. This comes with the cost of rarely realising the talent of new players immediately if ever but creating a framework that enables players to perform beyond you would expect of them normally.

The current formation and player selection isn't really part of my argument (although I do really like it*) it's more about the roles of the positions within it.

It looks to me Woodgate has moved from that "Howe/Tindal**" strategy of adapting players to roles to one where the role is dictated by the strengths of the player. For example Danjuma has been given a license to defend less and is supported by a more defensively minded Kelly who isn't being asked to get forward. However on the other wing Smith is allowed to get forward and Brooks or Stanislas have to track back more. If you're that nerdy you can see evidence of that on the heat maps.

This to me is a strategy that is immediately yielding results and will actually give us a fighting chance of promotion and as Rob Trent succinctly put it "I’ll take that right now.". There's no evidence one way or the other about Woodgate's long term plans.

The disadvantage of this approach is that players aren't interchangeable the Kelly Danjuma pairing isn't the same as the Stanislas Smith pairing and when those pairs are mixed someone has to adapt their game meaning that the players aren't refining their skills to a very specific role.

* Although dropping Wilshere tonight is disappointing and not really playing to the stable team idea.

** It could be fairly argued that Tindal didn't reach the point of ever realising what his system was.

Last edited:

;