Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think there was enough separation between Howe and Tindall for the players to really turn round the poor run of form** that we'd seen for most of 2020.

It's like in band of brothers when Carwood Lipton was told as a former enlisted man he couldn't serve as officer in the same company as he wouldn't be afforded the same respect - I think Tindall may have suffered from the same.

I gain a lot of real world advice from war movies "Gripes go up, not down"

*form meaning performance, not necessarily results.

It wasn't just the poor run though, was it ?

The way he conducted himself in interviews was dreadful, talking in mind-numbing cliches, repeating himself endlessly, long and rambling statements that didn't really mean anything. The final interview he gave after the Wednesday defeat seemed to indicate a man who was struggling to articulate anything remotely sensible. In other words, he'd lost the plot.

It's a harsh thing to say, but I imagine quite a few of our players found it hard to respect him, based on his very poor communication skills.
I couldn't care less how JT conducted themselves in interviews.... in fact i found the criticism of his accent and grammar quite sad.
I'd be more worried about how Woodgate conducts himself on the touchline tbh....the man looks a nervous wreak!.....hardly going to inspire confidence in tight games.

I couldn't care less how JT conducted themselves in interviews.... in fact i found the criticism of his accent and grammar quite sad.
I'd be more worried about how Woodgate conducts himself on the touchline tbh....the man looks a nervous wreak!.....hardly going to inspire confidence in tight games.
I wasn't talking about accent or grammar - Harry Redknapp has a far stronger Cockney voice, and I doubt he had an English O Level, but the difference is, you can always clearly understand what he is trying to get across.

Wasn't the case with poor old Jason. The point is, when you are trying to figure out what someone is trying to say, then subconsciously, you start to wonder if they really know themselves what it is.

Not about regional accent or impeccable grammar. It's all about clarity, the ability to articulate. And if you can't do that, it's hard to see how you could inspire a squad of players.

I wasn't talking about accent or grammar - Harry Redknapp has a far stronger Cockney voice, and I doubt he had an English O Level, but the difference is, you can always clearly understand what he is trying to get across.

Wasn't the case with poor old Jason. The point is, when you are trying to figure out what someone is trying to say, then subconsciously, you start to wonder if they really know themselves what it is.

Not about regional accent or impeccable grammar. It's all about clarity, the ability to articulate. And if you can't do that, it's hard to see how you could inspire a squad of players.
I dont think the players could give a toss about the managers interview technique!......how he comes across in training and in the dressing room would be slightly more important......and whether anyone on here likes it or not there were games this season when his half time team talk definitely did inspire the players.

I dont think the players could give a toss about the managers interview technique!......how he comes across in training and in the dressing room would be slightly more important......and whether anyone on here likes it or not there were games this season when his half time team talk definitely did inspire the players.
Assuming it was him that gave the talk. I've seen enough documentaries and read enough books to know that sometimes the manager will allow the leaders in the dressing room to have their say before going into the dressing room

If Woodgate gets us promoted from the Championship this season (still a big if), then he will have proved that he would be the ideal manager to take us back up in the 22-23 season, after we are relegated from the PL next season.

Up the Cherries !!!
I‘m totally up for the constant drama and excitement of being a yo-yo club to be honest. It would be brilliant. Can we survive this PL season ( starting with low expectations) ? Can we get promoted straight back up ( starting with high expectations) ?
It wouldn’t be boring, that’s for sure.
Bring it on I say !
So yes, in that scenario JW could have a decent tenure.

When we were top of the league were they understanding him then??

He has done well tbf .......but lets not get carried away....Woody inherited a team in the play off positions and kept them there.....any competent manager would do the same......we will need a better manager if we go up.
Only a JT apologist would write this crap. It wasn’t just the bad run, we had hardly played well all season and he had lost the dressing room with rows with Billing, Gosling and Mepham among others. He was completely out of his depth.

Woody had to walk into that, sort it out, change the ridiculous five at the back system and get the team playing, all of which he has done in a short period of time without the transfer windows JT had.

I’m with you, I’m not convinced he is a PL manager but to suggest JT is even fit to lace his boots is, frankly, laughable.

I don't think there was enough separation between Howe and Tindall for the players to really turn round the poor run of form** that we'd seen for most of 2020.

It's like in band of brothers when Carwood Lipton was told as a former enlisted man he couldn't serve as officer in the same company as he wouldn't be afforded the same respect - I think Tindall may have suffered from the same.

I gain a lot of real world advice from war movies "Gripes go up, not down"

*form meaning performance, not necessarily results.
With JT he lost a lot of the spine of the team . Ramsdale, Ake and Wilson . The other two relegated clubs did not lose as many important players in comparison to us.

JT brought back begovic which turned out to be brilliant and was unlucky with the CCV injury and not being able to playPearson plus having the Small matter of josh kings no shows for months .

still for me JT over rotated the team and that lack of cohesion is so so important as it is proving now .

When we were top of the league were they understanding him then??
They right mercilessly took the piss out of his cliches I know that. You could see the lack of respect in the effort they put in as well. A mate not a manager, not his fault, it was well known at the club to all but a couple of people.

My personal view is regardless if we go up via the play off's or not I would like too see JW given the job full time.

Like others have said he has turned round a team who didn't look like winning a game into possible play off dark horses.Because at the moment no one will fancy facing us over two legs.

They right mercilessly took the piss out of his cliches I know that. You could see the lack of respect in the effort they put in as well. A mate not a manager, not his fault, it was well known at the club to all but a couple of people.

And this lack of respect started around Christmas? How come they came out flying most second halfs for a manager they didn't respect?

He lost the dressing room in the end and certainly persisted with a crap formation for too long but I think there's a wee bit of confirmation bias going on here.

And this lack of respect started around Christmas? How come they came out flying most second halfs for a manager they didn't respect?

He lost the dressing room in the end and certainly persisted with a crap formation for too long but I think there's a wee bit of confirmation bias going on here.
How many games did we play really well in pre his bad run. Three? Four? Tops

FFS, I think we all get you didn't want him and you were glad when he got the sack, but do you really have to try and denigrate almost everything he did?
In terms of performance v talent available he was the worst manager in our history in my opinion Rob. Quinn and Groves produced similar levels of ineptness but with generally bang average players. It takes special levels of thickness to get a squad with Danjuma, Brooks, Lerma, Cook x 2, Smith, Stanislas and Billing to look like we did under him.

I know you are another apologist so it’s hard to swallow but sometimes you have to call it as it is.

In terms of performance v talent available he was the worst manager in our history in my opinion Rob. Quinn and Groves produced similar levels of ineptness but with generally bang average players. It takes special levels of thickness to get a squad with Danjuma, Brooks, Lerma, Cook x 2, Smith, Stanislas and Billing to look like we did under him.

I know you are another apologist so it’s hard to swallow but sometimes you have to call it as it is.
How childish. But expected really as you can't handle a different opinion without trying to bracket people in some group.

Just to remind you, I was happy to give JT a go, and I thought he was doing pretty well. But when the time came and they sacked him I thought it was the right decision.

Perhaps that was when you decided to return to this forum.

But anyway, carry on thinking everything he did was rubbish, and don't forget to drop in "everyone at the club according to a source" to try and give your opinion some more validity. ;-)

Only a JT apologist would write this crap. It wasn’t just the bad run, we had hardly played well all season and he had lost the dressing room with rows with Billing, Gosling and Mepham among others. He was completely out of his depth.

Woody had to walk into that, sort it out, change the ridiculous five at the back system and get the team playing, all of which he has done in a short period of time without the transfer windows JT had.

I’m with you, I’m not convinced he is a PL manager but to suggest JT is even fit to lace his boots is, frankly, laughable.
When Woodgate was at Boro his record was worse than JT (yet JT isn't fit to lace his boots strange that)If JT had lost the first 4 games and then got us to.6th would most people still want him gone.I get you never wanted him Neil and I did so we have opposite views on his appointment. I try to base my comments on facts

;