Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some interesting points there by KT, who is usually pretty spot on with his comments and news bites...

"... but it seems to be pointing to a clean start" - Would Woodgate accept going back to No.2?
"...very popular in the dressing room and around the club" - I don't think anyone doubts he's a decent bloke. It's his football and the antics we've seen him put in place that I am questioning...
"Club's managerial recruitment process has been ticking away in the background, researching possible candidates..." - OK, so hopefully the cogs have been turning in the lead up to this point in time... This is almost last chance saloon for those that make decisions to get this right... Otherwise, the reality is a slow slide towards the lower 2 tiers again.
"CCV permanently has to be a priority but facing competition..." - I really like what I've seen of him and together with Cook, they've formed a solid partnership... I am worried we might not be able to sign him after the disappointment of this season now.
"Lloyd Kelly, I hear there's interest too..." - On recent form, one of the few I'd be sad to see go, but he might decide for the sake of his future England career he might need to jump ship given the opportunity.
"No wavering on Denim's commitment..." - I'd definitely like to hear more on this... Is that commitment to get to the PL, or commitment to build the club up...?
"...understood to have offered terms to Smith and Stanislas, but neither have signed yet..." - I guess the key word here is 'understood'... With Smith we have a ready made and possibly better replacement in Stacey... I really like Smith but as with all good things, well, you know the rest... Stanislas would be good to keep around and by his standards has had a decent season, however, I have started to wonder about his temperament and how others see him after those very public disputes, and his form has dipped as the season has run out...

I just hope whatever happens, happens quickly... I'd like to think by June, we'd know who our next manager will be and who we're likely to lose...

Yes would be a big loss to lose these 2 as well

depends on terms offered as well I guess - not sure a better proposition in terms of club prospects for either, certainly not stanislaus. wouldn't surprise me if we offered stan reduced terms. Smith probably has more chance of a lower prem side offering him a 3 year deal.

I'm now leaning towards getting a new manager in, the idea of Woodgate leading the charge the charge for next season doesn;t excite, inspire or fill me with confidence at all, sadly. hopefullyt the board has learnt from the last 2 ropey appointments and understand importance of having the right man at the helm..

As much stick as Blake gets on here, part of me has been hoping the reason we brought woodgate in was due to clubs main preferences not being available in feb, for whatever reason, so board brought him as interim, until better/preferred candidates became available this summer. Keeping cards close to their chest and weren't able to disclose the managers we really wanted for whatever reason...

a good appointment (not henry, veira, terry etc, someone with a track record) will give the club and all around it a much needed lift and buzz to take us forwards. coupled with if we start signing quality players, could be a very exciting season ahead... In fact I'd be more excited this summer being in champ with a quality manager coming in, quality signings etc than I would getting promoted this season and potentially facing an embarrassing year in the top flight. At least staying down would give us chance to bring the right man, give him chance to mould squad and take us up with a better chance of surival. Basically going up to the PL without a solid foundation, ethos, structure etc is likely to end in disaster for a club like ours.

if we're just looking to consildate and become a champ side (which I hope isn't the case), then would rather have woodgate than a 'big name' ex player with no managerial achievements.

Last edited:
The fact that we're at roughly 50:50 in the JW poll says a lot, as I'm pretty sure few of the"Yes" voters are strongly positive for Woodgate, more that they're just about prepared to give him another chance.

I'd say his performance has been barely adequate and we need more dynamism to get this club to PL level again. 50:50 says "goodbye".

The fact that we're at roughly 50:50 in the JW poll says a lot, as I'm pretty sure few of the"Yes" voters are strongly positive for Woodgate, more that they're just about prepared to give him another chance.

I'd say his performance has been barely adequate and we need more dynamism to get this club to PL level again. 50:50 says "goodbye".
It's actually 51:49 which in Brexit terms is a huge majority.

I am torn to be honest as it would really depend on who could be their choice if not Woodgate.
There is much about him that I have really liked, he does seem popular among the staff and talks a lot of sense. That run of seven wins was impressive and the players definitely played for him. O'Neil and Jordan were wise additions too. Team spirit also returned.
If he does now depart, I would thank him for coming in and nearly getting us to the play off final. Very fine margins involved on Saturday. I know many believe the club have no clue but a couple of decisions going in our favour would likely have meant a Wembley final at the weekend.
Far more goes on behind the scenes than any of us will realise, so the next announcement will be very interesting. Mark McAdam being sure Maxim is still committed to us is reassuring, so maybe now we need someone with fresh ideas, that can target a few more players with a Ben Pearson mindset, who will fight to keep us in the upper reaches. A club like Barnsley [ and even Brentford really ], show that you need a proper TEAM and not just highly rated individuals.

yeah, I'm not convinced many feel that strongly about keeping him on , like was no doubt the case with Eddie last summer. I think most who say yes is around the belief we can't attract better/or the club not interested in paying for someone 'better' or lack of faith in the board being able make a good appointment.

if we appointed someone who most deemed higher quality, I don;t think many fans would be upset that woodgate wasn;t given a chance to lead us into next season...

I think JW deserves more time. He got a tune out of a bunch of players going through the motions. Quickly sussed that 4231 would suit the players available. Identified Billings best position. Played CCV as soon as available. Brooks started to perform. Is enthusiastic and got a response from a group of laid back players. Gary O’Neill and Joe Jordan appear to be good additions. My preference would be to sell some of the players and let JW bring in his choice of replacements.

I think JW deserves more time. He got a tune out of a bunch of players going through the motions. Quickly sussed that 4231 would suit the players available. Identified Billings best position. Played CCV as soon as available. Brooks started to perform. Is enthusiastic and got a response from a group of laid back players. Gary O’Neill and Joe Jordan appear to be good additions. My preference would be to sell some of the players and let JW bring in his choice of replacements.

there is a chance he could become a successful manager, but I'm opposed to the 'give him more time' outllook if we have genuine ambitions to get promoted and financial clout at this level to do it. we went down the he deserves a chance route with tindall last year and I have the same feeling about woodgate - he's not the right/best man for getting us promoted, so why take the chance again - need to learn from last season. we don't need to take those chances if we have the financial backing.

Let the so called lesser clubs or those without the backing take risks on cheaper, unproven managers. We need to stack the odds in a favour as much as possible.

Not sure if it was ever the intention to keep JW on even if he had taken us up
Hope the board were seriously negotiating with someone who is now available but have my doubts

Not sure if it was ever the intention to keep JW on even if he had taken us up
Hope the board were seriously negotiating with someone who is now available but have my doubts

I'd have been even more nervous if woodgate was in charge next season if we'd have been promoted.

Id love to see him have a Pre season and some of his own recruitment under his belt but looks as if I’m increasingly in the minority

I have no problem with him staying, as a coach. We need an experienced manager if we hope to make it back to the Prem. Obviously he is still earning the trade and has shown glimpses of ability, but working under experience is likely what he needs.

Let me say this too, I don't see anything wrong with how he set the team up for the two games against Brentford. We were in cruise control until the diabolical penalty decision.

JW popular with the players is half the battle.

We hear of talk re losing the dressing room, surely the above is a big plus.

Who is likely to be available who we think could come in win the players over and get us promotion?

Well known managers coming in at Bristol City and Cardiff City started off well but in both cases fell away from play-off places.

Just hope our board make a quick decision so the players, staff and fans know who will be in charge of team affairs next season.

JW popular with the players is half the battle.

We hear of talk re losing the dressing room, surely the above is a big plus.

Who is likely to be available who we think could come in win the players over and get us promotion?

Well known managers coming in at Bristol City and Cardiff City started off well but in both cases fell away from play-off places.

Just hope our board make a quick decision so the players, staff and fans know who will be in charge of team affairs next season.

It is half tge battle, buts not enough for a club with serious aspirations of promotion.

No idea about managers, but other clubs make decent 'random appointments from abroad. That's what Blake and others are hopefully conducting...

Defo dont want a dinosaur though, like the 2 you mentioned.

;