Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some of my best friends are black

haha thats a classic. amazing how often you hear that from people, no doubt sometimes the case, but still... Particularly when heard from older people at work who've lived around Bmouth their entire life. Seems dubious to me.

maybe thats what woodgate tried pulling. 'I have black genes/ancestry. Look at the bags under my eyes, thats not a trait in 'pure white' people.'

Some of my best friends are black
The interesting thing I think is why people assume because the lad was Asian that this was a racist attack. The victim was attacked for mocking one of Woodgates friends who was paralytic and outside on his own. Woodgates mate went for him because the bloke was mocking his ability to walk. It all kicked off from there when the others arrived and the attack then went completely over the top. One of the group got a six year sentence so clearly recognised by a judge.

Woodgate was also arrested when younger than that for headbutting someone white so clearly disturbed and angry when younger but not clearly a racist.

The interesting thing I think is why people assume because the lad was Asian that this was a racist attack. The victim was attacked for mocking one of Woodgates friends who was paralytic and outside on his own. Woodgates mate went for him because the bloke was mocking his ability to walk. It all kicked off from there when the others arrived and the attack then went completely over the top. One of the group got a six year sentence so clearly recognised by a judge.

Woodgate was also arrested when younger than that for headbutting someone white so clearly disturbed and angry when younger but not clearly a racist.

very good point. not saying that was op's intention, but if someone says something like 'asian/black person beatenup', it can make some draw the conclusion that it was racially motivated. The 'justice' doled out by Woodgate and mates would probably have been the same, regardless of the other parties skin colour.

very good point. not saying that was op's intention, but if someone says something like 'asian/black person beatenup', it can make some draw the conclusion that it was racially motivated. The 'justice' doled out by Woodgate and mates would probably have been the
very good point. not saying that was op's intention, but if someone says something like 'asian/black person beatenup', it can make some draw the conclusion that it was racially motivated. The 'justice' doled out by Woodgate and mates would probably have been the same, regardless of the other parties skin colour.
I’ve edited my post and it still doesn’t read any better to be honest.

It wasn’t the original posts intention.. just replying to the ‘some of my best friends are black’ lazy baiting.

I’ve edited my post and it still doesn’t read any better to be honest.

yeah, point is in this era, if its a 1 race against another in a fight, particularly white v another, it's a worse look as some will think will think it may have been racially motivated, rather than 2 blokes having disagreement over something.

when I was going out every weekend in my 20's, one of the only 'incidents' i had was getting smashed in the head whilst going into a nightclub bar, by someone who looked Indian/Pakastani... for no reason whatsoever!! Came out of nowhere. My mate actually called police about it (without me knowing) and they followed up with me a few days later. I just dropped it, not end of world as only had cut on my ear.

Last edited:
It wasn't lazy baiting at all. It was a humorous response to another post.

You seem to be very touchy about this subject.
Not touchy at all.. find it interesting how different people portray things on own agenda. Why do people mention the lad was Asian? You wouldn’t get people saying ‘that poor Bristolian he battered’…Not that you were, as you’ve qualified.

Not touchy at all.. find it interesting how different people portray things on own agenda. Why do people mention the lad was Asian? You wouldn’t get people saying ‘that poor Bristolian he battered’…Not that you were, as you’ve qualified.
My fault entirely Neil and subconsciously showing my own opinion I guess. That said, and I’ve edited the post, still not the actions of a ‘top bloke’

My fault entirely Neil and subconsciously showing my own opinion I guess. That said, and I’ve edited the post, still not the actions of a ‘top bloke’
No we were all agreed on that at the time. It’s whether you believe people change and can repent. I guess. Again that’s subjective as there are certain crimes I allow people to repent on and others I don’t! Going over the top when drunk in a fight to me is something you could do as a lad and completely repent and change from…I’d imagine a few on here might have. not that it makes it any lesser a crime at the time for sure.

No we were all agreed on that at the time. It’s whether you believe people change and can repent. I guess. Again that’s subjective as there are certain crimes I allow people to repent on and others I don’t! Going over the top when drunk in a fight to me is something you could do as a lad and completely repent and change from…I’d imagine a few on here might have. not that it makes it any lesser a crime at the time for sure.
Tony Adams could be classed as a success in this respect. Perhaps Woodgate is similar but with a much lower profile.

Yes we went through a trial with Steve Cook and fans were far more supportive as it proceeded than we would have been had it been James Ward Prowse. Football and morals has always come down to allegiance. See seperate thread on Zouma!

yeah, was thinking of the Cook thing. can recall him being booed by visiting fans when it first came out in the open.

How do people rate him as a commentator? I think he comes across extremely knowledgeable and clear in his thinking. Definitely sounds like he knows what he is talking about and would do well at an interview! :grinning:

How do people rate him as a commentator? I think he comes across extremely knowledgeable and clear in his thinking. Definitely sounds like he knows what he is talking about and would do well at an interview! :grinning:
Surprised he hasn’t got a new job on the back of what did at afcb. Boro struggled after a bright start in his first role so hopefully he has learnt from that experience

;