Joshua King

I'd go with the tune 'the lion sleeps tonight' :

He's the mighty, the mighty Josh King,he always scores for us,
He's the mighty, the mighty Josh King,he always scores for us,

(altogether now)

he always scores,he always scores,he always scores etc

....his goals have been so crucial to us, just hope we can keep the predators at bay come the end of the season?

New contract soon methinks.
My worry is someone like Spurs,who have no real backup to Harry Kane could think he would be a easy acquisition,and probably wouldn't baulk at the asking price of circa £20 to £25m.

He is nailed on starter, and if not already on a decent contract, he should be. Its that old debate about star player and getting game time, especially as an international player, against being on the bench elsewhere, with a bigger weekly wedge.
Who knows when this run of form will end (it will eventually), key test will be how he reacts too

Irrelevant of wage cap, if we start getting players really making an individual impact in this league we'll lose them. Every team outside the big 6 does. The important thing is extracting full value from them (like that lot up the road do) and then replacing them effectively.

Our only experience in that so far (although not to the top 6) would be Ritchie --> Ibe and so far that hasn't worked out so well. Although you could argue that Fraser was next in line and should he move on, maybe by then Ibe will be ready.

At a guess, I think we'll try and offer King another new contract over the summer. He's established himself as 'the man' up front this calendar year. With his slightly nomadic early career, if you include loans, he may be tempted to stay put where he knows he is appreciated and used correctly rather than risk moving on somewhere where they end up exclusively playing him on the wing, like Blackburn did, should a West Ham type come in for him. Top 6 and I think he'll be off but I suspect he'll need another season of consistent scoring to get them properly interested.

kirsikka - 29/4/2017 23:09

Irrelevant of wage cap, if we start getting players really making an individual impact in this league we'll lose them. Every team outside the big 6 does. The important thing is extracting full value from them (like that lot up the road do) and then replacing them effectively.

Our only experience in that so far (although not to the top 6) would be Ritchie --> Ibe and so far that hasn't worked out so well. Although you could argue that Fraser was next in line and should he move on, maybe by then Ibe will be ready.

At a guess, I think we'll try and offer King another new contract over the summer. He's established himself as 'the man' up front this calendar year. With his slightly nomadic early career, if you include loans, he may be tempted to stay put where he knows he is appreciated and used correctly rather than risk moving on somewhere where they end up exclusively playing him on the wing, like Blackburn did, should a West Ham type come in for him. Top 6 and I think he'll be off but I suspect he'll need another season of consistent scoring to get them properly interested.

Exactly. We have to accept, if we get a world class player, he will move on. It's how much we get for that player, and how we replace that player, that matters.

Look at Callum's injury, your career is precarious so need to optimise your earnings at the top - a new decent 3-5 year contract would sort him for life.

I think that the way Josh King has turned from an almost no-hoper into a pretty top player is very largely due to Eddie Howe's influence - and without that influence he may not maintain those levels or improve further. It is for that reason I think he is likely to stay at the club.

I think that the way Josh King has turned from an almost no-hoper into a pretty top player is very largely due to Eddie Howe's influence - and without that influence he may not maintain those levels or improve further. It is for that reason I think he is likely to stay at the club.

He's 25 turning 26 next season. If we keep him this time and has another good year, we'll definitely lose him going into the prime of his career, but for good money.

He likes it here, and given his goals he's sure to get am improved contract this summer, along with a few players. I wasn't aware of any explicit wage cap at the club, obviously you don't want to much wage disparity amongst your main starters, but given that we have the second lowest wage bill in the measure, I'd expect a few raises across the board, especially given that having survived two years playing decent football, we should now be looking to establish ourselves in this division. Forgetting history and stature, in footballing terms there's no reason we shouldn't be competing with Southampton, WBA, Stoke

;