Justin Kluivert

So your June quote, criticising Hughes yet again, was actually a load of rubbish, designed purely to support your argument.
I wonder how many others are too?
It’s not a quote really, I’m not Steinbeck…

You can analyse the words all you want to distract from reality. Admit it though, they’ve bought a load of identical shit wingers.

I actually don’t think Kluivert is a terrible player, there is ability there. It was just such an unnecessary signing.

As for the actual player this thread is about, he looks like a good signing on paper.

Very respectable goal contribution record in Spain, also played in Germany, Italy and France.

Fits the profile of the type of winger we needed, a right footed left winger to provide competition for Anthony and to allow Tav and Dango to play on the right where they are most effective. A good age at 24, plenty of experience and should be coming into his prime soon. And a very modest transfer fee of £10m if rumours are ti be believed.

I haven’t actually seen him play live and am very reluctant to base an opinion on YouTube highlights, but he looks a decent signing, at least on paper.

Wazzo the clown !!

I almost didn't post this, cos biggin' yourself up is not a good look. But just wanted to contrast with people for whom every new potential signing must be a diamond. If it don't smell right, it probly ain't right, right?

Clearly talent there.

I'd be screaming at him to spend less time playing so wide he's almost in the stand, and more time closer to Solanke.

Let our full back add width. You get inside their full back and take people on in more dangerous areas. Dancing around on the touchline isn't really hurting anyone.
The issue is playing with Solanke. No one knows where Solanke is as he tends to pop up all over the place. Today he dropped so deep that when we won the ball back our forward options became Kluivert and Cook who invariably lost the ball to their CB's leaving a huge hole in our midfield that Rice controlled whilst Solanke was trying to run back upfront.

The issue is playing with Solanke. No one knows where Solanke is as he tends to pop up all over the place. Today he dropped so deep that when we won the ball back our forward options became Kluivert and Cook who invariably lost the ball to their CB's leaving a huge hole in our midfield that Rice controlled whilst Solanke was trying to run back upfront.
That could well be Iraola's 'chaos' part of his style...

You are of course correct... Solanke ends up doing the work of so may others, we lack a potent threat in the box when he's busying all over the place...

Lots for Iraola to sort out this week... We need to get a reaction at Goodison.

During the early spell of the first half I thought Kluivert showed some nice touches and runs. There was some potential there.

It soon faded, but it did for all for all them.

Really impressed with his performance during the first half. Just floating around in the number 10 role, pushing up alongside Solanke at times, drifting out to either wing. Part of the high press. Really turned us into a different animal during the opening phase of the game.

Obviously this wasn’t planned with Billing’s injury late yesterday, but we stumbled on something which caught Newcastle by surprise.

Eddie may well have suppressed him with a few tweaks at half time, but along side all the other names and their excellent performances I thought he deserved at least a little a nod.

Though he was decent, his pressing was surprisingly good and he drifted along the line well. Sinestera looked a different level when he came on though. I’m not sure if Billing is entirely suited to this style of play? Liked having quick and sharp number tens who could turn on the ball at pace and make things happen.

I've heard a few other people suggesting we played well today because Billing didn't play as well.

I can't agree with that at all. He's one of our most creative players and likely would've scored if he'd had one of the multiple chances we missed today. The slow/lazy/lethargic stuff is just a myth based on his running style. Seems to be an easy target despite his consistent contributions to our team and very under-appreciated.

I've heard a few other people suggesting we played well today because Billing didn't play as well.

I can't agree with that at all. He's one of our most creative players and likely would've scored if he'd had one of the multiple chances we missed today. The slow/lazy/lethargic stuff is just a myth based on his running style. Seems to be an easy target despite his consistent contributions to our team and very under-appreciated.

Yes, its a debate that will never ne put to bed.

I'd take Kluivert over Billing if he's going to be part of performances like that. We've been too ponderous and slow with Billing who hasn't been up to his usual levels all season. Thought Kluivert was excellent today and caused Newcastle problems and was unlucky not to score.

Yeah. Movement, fluidity amongst the front 4 was superb today.

Started to look a little like what I imagine we were hoping for.

;