Kieran Tierney

Let's face it, any bid accepted around £30,000, would make Celtic serious title contenders next season. :grinning:

Reactions: drd
Seems expensive and still young, I'd like it a lot, but don't necessarily see it happening, despite earlier comments about us potentially being more attractive than bigger clubs with opportunity to play and EH record in developing players. Was thinking of other options and wondered if the Jordan Amavi to deal to Marseille could be hijacked

I mean people are talking about EH record of developing young players, but very few players bought have really stepped up since we've been in the PL. Surely Jordan Amavi would look at Mousset and decide to pass?

Depends how you qualify that. Some players bought and not played a lot in the Championship have completed their 'settling in' period and stepped up.

Fraser, A Smith and Stanislas in particular spring to mid.

Add to that King, L Cool and Ake and that's half a team signed and developed into PL players. Actually, even though he was only a reserve at Chelsea it's clear Ake was already there but none of the other five were close to being PL players until they made huge strides under Howe.

In fact, you could say Junior was a failed PL player looking like he would drop down the leagues a la Zavon Hines or many others and it's been Howe that has rescued him from that ignominy.

The list of still works in progress with some positive signs so far are:
Moussett
Mings
Ibe

The list of failures so far but still around and could still breakthrough are:
B Smith
Mahoney (too early to say much yet)
Hyndman
Ramsdale (too early to say much yet for a keeper)

The list of fails and gone are:
Tomlin
Grabban (technically not gone but...)
Afobe (technically not gone but...)
Gradel (technically not gone but...)
Iturbe

I'm probably missing some but it isn't too shabby really considering they were having to bed into a team that was adjusting to the PL for the first time as well.

Still a lot of work to do this summer but there's plenty for young players to look at and think they could make big strides here.

I'm not sure the Amavi / Mousset comparison is all that fair since Amavi is a mid-20s player with four top flight and one second tier seasons under his belt. Mousset was 20 with one Ligue 2 season under his belt.

Of the failures, Tomlin, Grabban, and Gradel weren't exactly young when in the Premier League, they were pretty establishde at the level they had been (and are currently) playing at. Iturbe and Costa, possibly the environment didn't agree, Afobe, had some good spells but seems to miss his mates. Was happy when Wilshere was here but jumped at chance to be big(ger) fish in Wolves pond

As Kirsikka says I was thinking of Amavi as a (mostly) finished product, rather than a kid looking to kick on, he's 24-25 now

Come on we can't include Ake, he'd had pretty much a full season under his belt at Watford and they wanted him back. King and Cook is about it for young players signed since we've been in the PL. Hopefully next season we can add at least Mings to that list and potentially a few more.

Ake was playing left back for Watford wasn't he?.....hardly ideal 'development' for a CB.....i'd say any development hes had has been here tbf.

Of course yo can include Ake, especially if yo'[re including King and Cook, they both played around 80 first team matches before coming to us. Ake about half as many. If the argument becomes well Ake came from Chelsea so it's a good youth place, well King was at Man Utd, also a pretty good conveyor belt by anyone's measure

I think there is a run on this story. From 15K a week to 40K a week (estimation) Could turn the Kid's head. Good player...Against Aberdeen, et al

would be an amazing signing and very positive for us going forward.
If there is truth in the story, would expect it to be done early.

I'm still hopeful a fit mings will be great for us , still young , great height and will feel like a new signing if he can stay fit .
been so unlucky with the injurys he has had , fingers crossed for the season ahead .

I think there is a run on this story. From 15K a week to 40K a week (estimation) Could turn the Kid's head. Good player...Against Aberdeen, et al
And that's the issue. He is playing league 1 players and for a team who won't do much defending. Doesn't mean he is no good of course but I hope we dont spunk stupid money

And that's the issue. He is playing league 1 players and for a team who won't do much defending. Doesn't mean he is no good of course but I hope we dont spunk stupid money

It's a tough call picking players from Scotland. A one team league. Top club is about mid table PL, the rest wouldn't cut it in the championship.

Better to cherry pick from France, where the standard is miles better, but you have to toughen the players up so they can mix it in the tackle.

That’s glorified League 2 side, thank you very much- does he not know his history?

Imagine the irony of calling us a ‘glorified championship team’ when the SPL is a mix of teams, most of which would struggle in the championship. Then imagine keeping a straight face as you call the premier league arrogant.

I really hope he does sign, even if just to witness the twitter meltdown.

I really hope this signing comes off...Then when I have had a few drinks in Gurrock this October, I might just broach the subject.

;