Leicester - The Verdict

We don’t look fit and we play our first team a lot less than other clubs as well.

One issue for me is the wingers have to come central to make up for the deficiency in numbers in central midfield. They take up positions between the midfield and forwards. If the move breaks down and the other team attack us on the flanks the wingers will never be able to get back and it exposes our full backs badly.

The offset is that our wingers look knackered and our full backs indecisive. Playing a number ten would allow the wingers to stay wide and provide the conduit between the midfield and forwards. It would aid defending on the flanks and make us more solid.
For a long time we have lacked that technical type number 10 to play between the lines and link the midfield and attack. It would improve us no end both offensively and defensively if we can find that player. It could be Brooks, H Wilson or even Solanke, it definitely isn’t King which is an issue given Eddie’s refusal to drop him regardless of form.

For a long time we have lacked that technical type number 10 to play between the lines and link the midfield and attack. It would improve us no end both offensively and defensively if we can find that player. It could be Brooks, H Wilson or even Solanke, it definitely isn’t King which is an issue given Eddie’s refusal to drop him regardless of form.

We haven’t lacked that player. We had had them in every season. Stan, Wilshere, Ibe, Brooks, now Wilson can all do that role (some better than others admittedly). We just can’t work out how to play well with it so go back to what we know.

Think Brooks would do it as he also seems to put work in when we dont have ball How to set up though? Wingbacks?4-2-3-1? 3-2-4-1 to fit wingers in?

Last edited:
Which I said when?
Lol Neil im getting increasingly worried about that selective memory of yours.....didn't you recently bang on about how our injuries were due to our players being over trained?.....worked to the bone I think was the phrase.....didn't you say that might be ok to maximise the potential of our league 1 players but the 'elite athletes don't need so much?........lmfao that the agenda this week is that our players aren't fit enough...:D
If you are still having trouble with that memory of yours I'll be happy to help .

Lol Neil im getting increasingly worried about that selective memory of yours.....didn't you recently bang on about how our injuries were due to our players being over trained?.....worked to the bone I think was the phrase.....didn't you say that might be ok to maximise the potential of our league 1 players but the 'elite athletes don't need so much?........lmfao that the agenda this week is that our players aren't fit enough...:D
If you are still having trouble with that memory of yours I'll be happy to help .

I appreciate the offer and will dm you if I need it and can still remember you offered of course ;)

You can be unfit because you overtrain and unfit because you under-train. We will never know which is the case of course because as Del points out we don’t attend training.

What we do know is the following:

1) we looked dead on our feet at the end of the Leicester game with our players having had three days extra rest than theirs

2) Sheff Utd took us apart for the last 15 mins.

3) we couldn’t get the ball in the last 15 v city

4) we sold a player to prem league team as the season was a couple weeks away and he was unfit to partake in their team despite having done the same period of training with us his new team mates had done there.

Now. Read into all that what you want, that’s what I am taking my conclusions from.

I appreciate the offer and will dm you if I need it and can still remember you offered of course ;)

You can be unfit because you overtrain and unfit because you under-train. We will never know which is the case of course because as Del points out we don’t attend training.

1) we looked dead on our feet at the end of the Leicester game with our players having had three days extra rest than theirs

4) we sold a player to prem league team as the season was a couple weeks away and he was unfit to partake in their team despite having done the same period of training with us his new team mates had done there.

Now. Read into all that what you want, that’s what I am taking my conclusions from.

What about when we were the comeback kings of the league 18 months ago?

i was told that mousset came back from summer overweight and unfit, he basically gave very little sh!ts in pre season knowing he’d be moved on if we got an offer

We were fit then. I know you live in black and white world Delboy but things change. This energy level drop happened the season after that when we changed style from dominating possession to chasing it and playing on the break.

So, although the 'coaching staff' haven't changed, the change in style from dominating possession and outworking teams to sitting back and catching teams on the break has meant that our team are now 'worked to the bone' in a way they weren't previously?

... And to clarify you are suggesting this has caused our recent injuries? (not withstanding the point that we've had horrendous injuries ever since we got promoted)

So.. we don't know if they are unfit because they are overtrained or undertrained we just know it, like everything else, is all the fault of our famous 'coaching staff'? What else are you going to blame on them? No deal brexit? Global warming?

My take on the fitness debate is we’ve switched from aerobic fitness to concentrate on power based fitness.

In that comeback kings season, we would outrun the opposition to the 95th minute. It appears now we do more weight lifting. Players like Smith and Fraser might appear small, but they carry a lot of upper body muscle mass.

That is great for explosive counter attacks but not so good for running 95 mins every game.

So, although the 'coaching staff' haven't changed, the change in style from dominating possession and outworking teams to sitting back and catching teams on the break has meant that our team are now 'worked to the bone' in a way they weren't previously?

... And to clarify you are suggesting this has caused our recent injuries? (not withstanding the point that we've had horrendous injuries ever since we got promoted)

So.. we don't know if they are unfit because they are overtrained or undertrained we just know it, like everything else, is all the fault of our famous 'coaching staff'? What else are you going to blame on them? No deal brexit? Global warming?

Who else do you blame for fitness levels?

Who else do you blame for fitness levels?

Well I'm not as convinced as you that they are all unfit, they ran their socks off against City for example.

But, if it is true, Tinpot's explanation above seems fairly plausible. It doesn't really fit into this narrative that he can't change the system though, he has and has been successful with the change by and large. If the change is now catching up to them in terms of fitness then they will have to think again.

Think Brooks would do it as he also seems to put work in when we dont have ball How to set up though? Wingbacks?4-2-3-1? 3-2-4-1 to fit wingers in?

We need to be in a 442 diamond.

Solanke and Wilson up top. Brooks top of diamond. Wilson and Fraser on the sides and Lerma in the back. Wilson can take brooks spot for now and put billing in the spot I had Wilson.

So our players are either unfit because they either worked to the bone or barely worked at all.....but we'll never know which it is....:hmmm:.....What a load of guff!........do you read what you write down Neil?........if you don't i'd suggest that you start.....if nothing else it might help you remember what it is you have written....:D......losers always look tired Neil whether its in football....athletics ....tennis ....in fact any sport....watch any race be it humans or equine and you'll see the winner striding clear full of running and the rest plodding up and down on the spot behind them....are they all unfit? ....no of course not..... they are just not as good as the winner on that particular day....sometimes.... like Saturday.... that is all there is too it.

;