Lewis Cook

So he has one game to prove himself,like Neil said,others seem to get a few games

Not saying that.

We don’t know what happens during the week at the training ground etc. Eddie does.

Our top signing came into the side in a midfield role and so far has kept his place. Didn’t see the game at Burnley, so how de he play?

Eddie has more options in midfield this season, so to pick the best players for those positions he must also go on how these players are performing in training as well as in game time.

After yesterday’s heavy defeat at Burnley, it will give him something to think about re who plays Tuesday, as our next game is a week later against Palace.

A manager stands and falls on their decisions.

Think L Cook will get his chance when Eddie thinks he is ready. We as fans do not know the players circumstances, he may not be fully fit, Eddie has that information which as we know he keeps very close to his chest.

Not saying that.

We don’t know what happens during the week at the training ground etc. Eddie does.

Our top signing came into the side in a midfield role and so far has kept his place. Didn’t see the game at Burnley, so how de he play?

Eddie has more options in midfield this season, so to pick the best players for those positions he must also go on how these players are performing in training as well as in game time.

After yesterday’s heavy defeat at Burnley, it will give him something to think about re who plays Tuesday, as our next game is a week later against Palace.

A manager stands and falls on their decisions.

Think L Cook will get his chance when Eddie thinks he is ready. We as fans do not know the players circumstances, he may not be fully fit, Eddie has that information which as we know he keeps very close to his chest.

If he’s not fully fit then EH can say that in his press conference. I agree he sees what goes on in training but it still seems odd Surman over Cook. It’s like if Ake or Cook get injured you know sure as hell Francis will get the nod over Mings, the latter of who looked excellent in pre season and ‘proved himself’.

This post was posted before yesterday’s game so wasn’t a criticism of the team selection, just didn’t get the Surman nod over Cook

Last edited:
Eddie put Francis on to go 3 at the back and push Smith up (and swap with Fraser)..Whilst all well and good as an attacking idea, it put Francis directly up against a flying counter attacking Arron Lennon. Results were predictable and obvious with the 3rd goal.

As easy as it is to slag Franno off for getting embarrassed by Lennon, he's always going to be onto a loser when put in that situation by Eddie. No support from Smith/Fraser who needed to stay forward, Dyche would have immediately seen that as an obvious opportunity. I find it hard too be too harsh on Franno when Eddie put him in a situation totally wrong for him at this stage in his career.

Always up against it tactically when you concede stupid goals at a stupid time. I would have been interested to see how Mings would have got on in a back 3 instead though. Quicker and taller.

Eddie put Francis on to go 3 at the back and push Smith up (and swap with Fraser)..Whilst all well and good as an attacking idea, it put Francis directly up against a flying counter attacking Arron Lennon. Results were predictable and obvious with the 3rd goal.

As easy as it is to slag Franno off for getting embarrassed by Lennon, he's always going to be onto a loser when put in that situation by Eddie. No support from Smith/Fraser who needed to stay forward, Dyche would have immediately seen that as an obvious opportunity. I find it hard too be too harsh on Franno when Eddie put him in a situation totally wrong for him at this stage in his career.

Always up against it tactically when you concede stupid goals at a stupid time. I would have been interested to see how Mings would have got on in a back 3 instead. Quicker and taller.

Why not use Mings then? Mings was bombing up and down the wing and pitch in the appearances I’ve seen him in this season. Francis doesn’t need to play every game.

We lost 4-0 to a team that couldn’t buy a win.

We have a full England international who we all agree is the most talented midfielder we have owned who can’t get near the side.

Either this is a selection error or we have let him go off the boil and not developed and motivated him correctly. Either is wrong and needs calling out. Spurs and Liverpool were looking to sign him..we are not talking about whether Mousset should start instead of Wilson here. Cook and Ake are the best two players on our books. We are not Man City...we need to probably start our best players.

The same thing happened last season if you remember...the usual few on here saying ‘we don’t see them in training so we can’t comment’ while Cook sat on the bench before he finally arrived to run the midfield and rescue us. We may not need rescuing this season but we have hardly had testing fixtures.

Time to get him in the side Eddie and bench the favourites.

We lost 4-0 to a team that couldn’t buy a win.

We have a full England international who we all agree is the most talented midfielder we have owned who can’t get near the side.

Either this is a selection error or we have let him go off the boil and not developed and motivated him correctly. Either is wrong and needs calling out. Spurs and Liverpool were looking to sign him..we are not talking about whether Mousset should start instead of Wilson here. Cook and Ake are the best two players on our books. We are not Man City...we need to probably start our best players.

The same thing happened last season if you remember...the usual few on here saying ‘we don’t see them in training so we can’t comment’ while Cook sat on the bench before he finally arrived to run the midfield and rescue us. We may not need rescuing this season but we have hardly had testing fixtures.

Time to get him in the side Eddie and bench the favourites.
Always the victim, its never his fault eh Neil?

Maybe he "finally arrived" because he picked up in training? For someone who seems knowledgeable about tactics and team selections you don't half have a binary view when pushing your theories.

Reactions: drd
Always the victim, its never his fault eh Neil?

Maybe he "finally arrived" because he picked up in training? For someone who seems knowledgeable about tactics and team selections you don't half have a binary view when pushing your theories.

That’s because it is black and white to me Rob. You develop, nurture and play your top talent.

We had to watch Wilson, Surman and Francis play their way back into form in the first team. They aren’t as good as Cook in my opinion so if it’s good enough for them it’s good enough for him.

It’s bloody obvious to knowledgeable fans that Lewis will only improve with game time and currently he isn’t getting any. Sadly we are missing out on an exceptional talent by leaving him on the bench and what’s more frustrating is knowing we can perform much better with him in the starting eleven.

That’s because it is black and white to me Rob. You develop, nurture and play your top talent.

We had to watch Wilson, Surman and Francis play their way back into form in the first team. They aren’t as good as Cook in my opinion so if it’s good enough for them it’s good enough for him.

All older more experienced players though.

The younger ones such as Ryan Fraser for example, get taken out of th firing line.

Has he lost form? Looking forward to when when he’s on form then... :)
No,but how do you know Cook is dropped for loss of form,he hasn't been given a chance like Neil said.So your saying only the young ones get dropped for loss of form,what age is the cut off point lol

No,but how do you know Cook is dropped for loss of form

I don’t know if he was “dropped” for loss of form or he was “dropped” due to Howe preferring other options or if he was “dropped” in favour of giving him a longer rest following the internationals over the summer just like Jefferson Lerma.

What I do know is he hasn’t shown the required form in his substitute appearances or his performance in the League Cup to justify a starting spot.

Neil and co are spot on - Lewis Cook is a top talent (future England captain?) and needs a run in the first team to retrieve his top form. Let’s all get right behind him on Tuesday night - when surely he will play.
I didn't see the first round, but according to the experts on here it wasn't one of Lewis Cooks best games? I'm sure Neils 'never the victim' policy applies there too?

And do you think Surman should be dropped as he never had a blinder against Burnley then

Would you drop 7 of those players? Unfortunately it seems to be harder to get into an XI than to stay there. I find that disappointing because we finally have a squad deep enough to make it harder to keep your spot. Whilst how they train is important if they don't perform on a Saturday then Mon-Thurs shouldn't make up the difference

Now I’m not knocking Eddie or his team selection at all, but Lewis must be scratching his head when Gosling is injured and he still can’t get a starting spot ahead of Surman. Lewis was one of our best players last season, rested against Burnley on the last day of last season so he could have a break before being on stand by for England. Signed a new long term contract shortly after, now can’t get in the starting 11....

Did we by Lerma to only partner Gosling or Surman? You would think our strongest two would be Cook and Lerma. He played without Surman and Francis last week who are captain and vice captain so that wouldn’t be the reason behind it.

Seems strange to me, that’s all.

Why exactly do you think Lewis should play? I have been at all the games, including cup game and unfortunately Lewis hasn't been playing as well as he can do, since the summer, on the times when he has come on as a sub. Places have to be earned.
I expect to see Lewis play on Tuesday

Many of the team were poor yesterday and yes we probably did miss Gos. Hopefully he will be back for Palace game.

;