Lewis Cook

As DJ posted earlier in the thread, Surman had 93% pass completion against Everton, Cook then came on for him and had 56% pass completion. Why are so many people here ignoring the stats that do not back Lewis Cook starting at the moment? .

Perhaps Lewis needs to look square or back to up his pass completion so that he can be in contention. This philosophy seems to work for Surman,

Agree, and beat me to it...

We're all ranting on here that Eddie is somehow doing an injustice to L.Cook by leaving him on the bench.

Some might be fighting L Cook’s corner, but a number are not and mentioning Eddie must have a reason for leaving him out.

Just look back at some recent posts-threads since our defeat against Burnley.

Then look to see how many posts are calling for L Cook after we beat Cardiff, West Ham and Leicester.

It’s all about opnions and on this subject there are conflicting views.

That’s what this MB is all about.

Last edited:
Perhaps Lewis needs to look square or back to up his pass completion so that he can be in contention. This philosophy seems to work for Surman,

Yeah but that's provably untrue, not checked this season, but I recall last year looking at comparison figures from one of the stats sites which proved that 'sideways' is a pretty unfair nickname for him

This time last year Lewis wasn't a starter. This time the year before that he wasn't a starter. Could it be that, for whatever reason, he just takes a bit more time to warm up? That's 3 years in a row.

(apologies if this was mentioned before. I haven't read the whole thread)

Reactions: DJ
This time last year Lewis wasn't a starter. This time the year before that he wasn't a starter. Could it be that, for whatever reason, he just takes a bit more time to warm up? That's 3 years in a row.

(apologies if this was mentioned before. I haven't read the whole thread)

your right and towards the end of the season he was one of our strongest players , long term squad rotation maybe ?

Or maybe this summer he won the Toulon tournament and started qualifying campaign for the U21 Euros, so isn't involved right now. Last summer he won the world cup and wasn't involved at this point. The season before he wasn't away with England and started our first match against Manchester United

Without going back through all the threads, did we have a big discussion about Cook not being in the team when we beat Cardiff, West Ham and Leicester?

A few people said Cook should be starting instead of Gosling after the Leicester game and got criticized for complaining when we're winning lol.

Some might be fighting L Cook’s corner, but a number are not and mentioning Eddie must have a reason for leaving him out.

Then look to see how many posts are calling for L Cook after we beat Cardiff, West Ham and Leicester.

Exactly this would be a very boring forum if we all agreed. However. Cook should be starting over Surman. :p

“a lot of people can overcreact to a player having a spell of games out of the team”

“once he’s at his best [proof eh thinks he hasn’t been] then i’m sure we’ll have no problems”

anyone would think we hadn’t got three wins and a draw from our first six games of the season

“a lot of people can overcreact to a player having a spell of games out of the team”

“once he’s at his best [proof eh thinks he hasn’t been] then i’m sure we’ll have no problems”

anyone would think we hadn’t got three wins and a draw from our first six games of the season

No one has been critical as such of Eddie, if you read my original post from 2.45 Saturday it was saying Lewis must be scratching his head if Gosling is out injured and he still isn’t in the team ahead of Surman.

Now I’ve heard what Eddie has had to say it’s obvious he doesn’t quite think he’s performing on all cylinders and that’s fair enough.

he wouldn’t be scratching his head if eh had fully explained the reasons why to him

‘not at your best, need more from you to reach levels deserving of a starting place ahead of lerma/surman, keep working’ ?

if eh trusts the others ahead of him at the moment, then that’s why he hasn’t picked him to start

From the MKD thread...
"At times I felt that Lewis was just trying a bit too hard, trying to force it and make things happen. Given the level of opposition and a desire to show what he can do it’s entirely understandable. As others have said we still forget his age at times and how Eddie is carefully managing his development."
;)

Eddie also mentioned that for a young player, sometimes its just as important to learn when out of the team, as when playing in it. Quite a telling remark I'd say - there is obviously something he needs Lewis to adapt to. I've said before, we have been playing a little differently in the early games, so just maybe, that is behind the decisions.

Whatever Lewis Cook achieved in the World Cup and other tournaments doesn't guarantee him a place in the team. I agree that, at his very best, he is probably better than Gosling or Surman. I would guess that at the moment he is not at his best and needs to work to get his place back. Hopefully, as mentioned above, he'll play and do well against Blackburn, then maybe we'll be justified in querying his being left out.

Agree.

The starting XI for Cardiff was dictated by the starting side that did so well against Marseille. Thus captain franno and Lewis missed out.

Seems unfair to change the team that has done so well since then. Rico case in for an injured Daniels and Lerma for surman which shows surman is not untouchable.

I was very vocal about including Lewis this time last season and he was outstanding when he came in but looked jaded in the run-in imho. He was given a break pre Toulon infact.

Maybe a big factor is Eddie wanting more experience alongside Lerma to keep him in-check given his English prem inexperience? Maybe with gozzo missing, Eddie wanted surman to help Lerma? Anyway I am sure cook will get an extended run before long as Eddie has stated many times how good cook is.

I do find these posts a little odd. Pretend for a minute that Lewis Cook had a poor pre-season and dropped his standards. Or isn't training particularly well. It's only hypothetical as I dont know, nor does anyone else on here though. I thought he was poor against MK Dons though, so it's perfectly possible. IF that was the case, and perhaps he was guilty (as young players often are) of believing his own hype, than wouldn't we all trust EH to manage him right and maintain the team principle which has worked so well for us. Never have so many people had such strong opinions based on so little day-to-day information.

Totally logically correct.

These forums are based on conjecture though. The most oft debated subject on fans forums are selections followed by tactics.

If every selection debate is followed by someone as sensible as you saying it must be something happening in training (which it probably is) then there is no comeback to this. We shouldn’t therefore debate selection. The next time someone asks why Franno is starting in front of someone the answer is ‘because Eddie judged him to be better in training and attitude this week’

It assumes managers never get it wrong. Eddie might get it wrong less than most but even he will have made selection errors. I like the debate of it...but you are right...only one man knows the truth.

;