Lewis Cook

You didnt answer my question, do you think prime Surman would make the current formation and style of play tick?

The issue isnt Cook vs Surman. The issue is that we had 3 midfielders who do not attack players or go past them. Thats not Cooks game, it wasnt Surmans game. The team last night played exactly how Parker asked them to play. its how weve played all season. Its all left to right rather than forward. Hes set the team up and asked them to play like that. Look at Lowe. Is he a good player? Weve seen enough of him this season so see that hes a pretty good winger and can run at defences and cause problems. Is he a lone striker who gets very little service type of player? No.

Its not always about players playing badly. Its about how they are used. I wouldnt blame the players at all for last night, they were only doing what they were told. Its not surprising that that the players who came out of the game with some credibility were playing in their positions.

Don't get me wrong, last night's team selection was absolutely ludicrous and in central midfield especially. I'm not picking on Cook for that though, I just think he's never reached the levels he looked like he might do when we signed him.

To answer your question, yes I think Surman would 100% improve the current formation if he played deep with Lerma in the number 8 and Billing the more advance.

What about my question? Has Lewis Cook ever run the midfield for 90 minutes and dictated the play? Probably not his game either but I'm sat here scratching my head - what exactly is the guy's game?

Strange one, so much ability/talent (at least at 1 point) , but looks too passive, doesn;t impose himself on games - shadow of what he was/can be. Hopefully something will click and he'll step up soon. Seems to be delivering 6 out of 10 or worse performances consistently since his return.

Otherwise, needs to be dropped, maybe for Cantwell, or just about any other cm in our squad?

Maybe Lewis is a player who excels when hitting teams on the break. Strong tackle and quick passes out to players further up. Could be that possession based football doesn't work for him.

Don't get me wrong, last night's team selection was absolutely ludicrous and in central midfield especially. I'm not picking on Cook for that though, I just think he's never reached the levels he looked like he might do when we signed him.

To answer your question, yes I think Surman would 100% improve the current formation if he played deep with Lerma in the number 8 and Billing the more advance.

What about my question? Has Lewis Cook ever run the midfield for 90 minutes and dictated the play? Probably not his game either but I'm sat here scratching my head - what exactly is the guy's game?

His game is playing the "quarter back" role and playing deep, picking up the ball and laying it off or pickup up a pass. As for MoM performances I am pretty sure you could look back through this thread for a few. Maybe some time ago though as I agree with others that hes had a rough time of injuries and finding his rhythm on return.

His game is playing the "quarter back" role and playing deep, picking up the ball and laying it off or pickup up a pass. As for MoM performances I am pretty sure you could look back through this thread for a few. Maybe some time ago though as I agree with others that hes had a rough time of injuries and finding his rhythm on return.

Definitely unlucky with injuries, which could well be the reason he's not kicked on. I'd love to see him prove me wrong and become the player he showed glimpses of in his early career here.

Definitely unlucky with injuries, which could well be the reason he's not kicked on. I'd love to see him prove me wrong and become the player he showed glimpses of in his early career here.

Not sure how quickly that will happen. Hes likely to be playing lone striker on Wednesday night the way Parker is going.

I've only ever seen him have one good game where he stood out and maybe Parker feels the same way because he's said he wants to convert him into an attacking midfielder, presumably because he doesn't think he's much cop as a defensive one. It'd be great if he could but I don't think the first team in competitive matches is the right place to be trying it.

I haven't got any gripes with Lewis Cook and don't really understand the flack he's getting. Him and Kilkenny are very similar in playing styles and fulfill an important role. Not convinced they can play together though.
Agree, don't play them together. Of the two I thought Kilkenny was worse last night, how many crossfield passes did he hit that went 5 yards over the wingers head and straight into touch.

Agree, don't play them together. Of the two I thought Kilkenny was worse last night, how many crossfield passes did he hit that went 5 yards over the wingers head and straight into touch.

Plus dreadful clearance by Gavin to set up their goal

I know Lewis has been playing the anchor role for England and us but, when we signed him from Leeds, his ability to take people on and be creative really stood out. We don’t utilise that ability at all.

Plus dreadful clearance by Gavin to set up their goal

I know Lewis has been playing the anchor role for England and us but, when we signed him from Leeds, his ability to take people on and be creative really stood out. We don’t utilise that ability at all.
Agreed, when Lewis first played he had that Jack Wilshere ability to receive the ball and dummy his way into space in a split second before moving on with a good pass. Unfortunately he has also inherited Jacks injury woes as well.
As for Kilkenny he is a liability in front of his own defence at times.

This is because he was trying to force the pass in the end .
When you have people not wanting to run past your one striker you do limit to your options.
Billing is The only player .

This is because he was trying to force the pass in the end .
When you have people not wanting to run past your one striker you do limit to your options.
Billing is The only player .
I know he was trying to force the pass but Kilkennys passing to players in space on the wing was dreadful last night.

I suppose Marcondes was the only other player who fitted into that right-hand side number 8 role and his defending wasn't great so that's why Parker has tried to convert Lewis. We have Cantwell now. Also not a number 8 by trade but I think that's where Parker will play him.

Maybe that's why they both started, as they're unlikely to play on wednesday

Kilrenny started the season really well, but struggled defensively and really hasn't improved. Cook struggling too because he isn't an advanced midfielder.

I can't decide whether it is poor coaching, a need to get back after a long injury or whether he just hasn't developed as a player.

All I can say is I desperately want it to work.

As I have said before,Eddie and JT collected all these non goalscoring defensive midfielders,Lerma,Lewis Cook Pearson.
We also had Surman and have replaced him with Kilkenny.
Don't forget Billing was employed in that role too until Woodgate revitalised him.

At least Parker has spotted this and went after some attacking midfielders.

I really hope Cantwell can stay fit and be that positive ,forward thinking attacking midfielder we have needed for many seasons.

On the subject of the midfielders, Marcondes is such a strange case isn’t he? I find myself so desperately wanting to like him but I don’t really know why, what does he really offer?
Ask him out for a drink or perhaps dinner, Waz. Liberate yourself and I’m sure you’ll find out.

;