List of players pilloried by supporters

northstand pundit

First Team
Just compiling a list of current players that have at some stage been derided by a number of our supporters in a 'not fit to wear the shirt' kind of way when it turns out that they are merely experiencing a temporary dip in form or confidence;

1. Josh King
2. Steve Cook
3. Simon Francis
4. Dan Gosling
5. Andrew Surman
6. Asimir Begovic
7. Marc Pugh.
8. Artur Boruc
9.Lys Mousset

any others?

Adam Smith has definitely come in for a bit of it in the past. Jordon Ibe is missing off your list as well.

Might just be easier to name players that haven't been given stick at some point.

There was even a spell when a couple of dudes, fresh from failing Homer Simpson auditions, suggested sacking Eddie!

I remember people in the crowd once screaming abuse at the 'useless' Spackman .. I think he ended up doing well at Chelsea!

BillMcgarrycherry - 7/3/2018 12:41

There was even a spell when a couple of dudes, fresh from failing Homer Simpson auditions, suggested sacking Eddie!

I remember people in the crowd once screaming abuse at the 'useless' Spackman .. I think he ended up doing well at Chelsea!

Not to mention Steve Fletcher

Interesting phrase - "pilloried by supporters" - oxymoron? ironic? If that's being a supporter, wouldn't want to see what the haters do.

Charlie Daniels has been written off in favour of both Ian Harte and even Brad Smith by some on occasions. :hihi:

Crikey Brad Smith - I openly admit to having 'pilloried' him. Millwall away last season, the worst left back display I have ever seen (Adam Green included, I think). He's still an AFCB player so I hope he makes a miraculous transformation, but colour me skeptical!

Brad Smith has hardly had a chance to be Pilloried or Praised has he? apart from cup games when none of them are bothered because they don't like being the second string - he came here thinking he would play as 1st choice PL as he came from a big club I would imagine!

one for Refs, many of these deserve to be put in the stocks rather than the pillory,

Michael Oliver
Martin Atkinson
Jonathan Moss
Andre Marriner
Anthony Taylor
Mike Dean
Craig Pawson
Neil Swarbrick
Kevin Friend
Graham Scott
Robert Madley
Stuart Attwell
Roger East
Lee Mason
Lee Probert
Mike Jones
Chris Kavanagh
Paul Tierney
Simon Hooper

https://www.premierleague.com/referees/index

The big difference of course is that players do improve and if not are let go...

Out of that list of refs I actually don't mind Michael Oliver, Robert Madley, Paul Tierney and weirdly Lee Probert because we normally get a decent result with him! They make as many silly errors as the others but IMO they often ref the game with a bit of humour! You can see from that list though why we won't have any refs at the World Cup.

Players wise, I've never pilloried any of them while they wear a Bournemouth shirt. Sorry, I just can't! I even saw the positives in Ibe when there weren't any!

Thought I had the wrong use of the word there and it does sound slightly medieval but this is the definition and yes Toronto I think those having a go would still claim to be supporters;

attack, criticize, censure, condemn, denigrate, find fault with, give a bad press to, lambaste, flay, savage, brand, stigmatize, cast a slur on, denounce, slam, pan, bash, take to pieces, take apart, crucify, monster, hammer, lay into, slate, rubbish, slag off, roast, skewer;
ridicule, jeer at, sneer at, deride, show up, hold up to shame, mock, hold up to ridicule, heap scorn on, treat with contempt, scorn, make fun of, poke fun at, laugh at, make jokes about, scoff at, be sarcastic about, tease, taunt, rag, chaff, jibe at, twit;
rib, josh, wind up, take the mickey out of, make a monkey of;
rag on, razz, pull someone's chain;
poke mullock at, sling off at;

"his children were pilloried at school and his wife humiliated"

Whilst we are compiling lists here is one - how we feel about other Clubs;

Clubs we hate.
1.Southampton
2.Watford
3.Wolves (see social media)

Clubs we love
1.Burton
2.Sheffield Wednesday