Lyle Taylor

"A long list of clubs emerging, believed to be keen on in-demand Charlton striker Lyle Taylor including AFC Bournemouth, Celtic, Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Fulham."

Free agent, 30 years old. Has refused to play the remaining matches for Charlton due to fears of getting injured as he's clearly holding out for his final big move.

An early EH signing who never really cut it during his time here, but seems to have become a prolific goalscorer in his later years, albeit at a lower level.

11 goals in 22 games this season in a side battling relegation in the Championship.

Eddie was obviously a big admirer of his, but would probably only be a squad player. I wonder if Eddie could get something out of him at this level and whether he'd take a punt on him, being a free agent...

I’d imagine this would depend on what division we are in. I could see Taylor being very effective for us in the Championship. As a replacement for Joshua King in the PL, his credentials are dubious at best.
Signing a player who doesn't want to give his all for his own team because his minds somewhere else?

Enough about Fraser's six week contract extension, I'll be surprised if this is true but I guess we may be keeping a lot of options open right now. It sounds like he already knows where he is going.

Signing a player who doesn't want to give his all for his own team because his minds somewhere else?
If clubs took that attitude there wouldn’t be any transfers. We might not like it as fans but it’s the reality of football. Most players just aren’t as open about it as Taylor (or Fraser for that matter)

I would sign him up.
Free transfer,cant be any worse than Ibe or Solanke and would cost only wages,as said above,maybe Eddie could get something out of him.

nice for him to be wanted, and have such a choice at this stage of his career. always been a good pro, watched him play for wimbledon at hartlepool a few seasons back - was the best player on the pitch by far, seems like a nice bloke

This is based purely on his stats and nothing to do with the fact he was here previously (and rubbish with it as well), but I am pretty sure he is currently a free agent... He has seemingly been banging the goals in these last couple of years at this level for Charlton, and to be honest, a very poor Charlton as well...

Previous to 2018, his figures are not too bad either... As a free agent (if that is indeed the case), we could have very little to lose on him other than wages...

2018–2020 Charlton Athletic 63 apps (32 goals)

Worth an approach potentially...

Bailed on Charlton in their time of need. His right of course but would make me question his character.

Bailed on Charlton in their time of need. His right of course but would make me question his character.

Yep, I get that, as we had our very own Lyle Taylor here at DC this season, however, Fraser went several steps further by generally not giving a sh*t for the whole season, contributing nothing and then sticking the Vs up to us when Eddie asked him to play on and help us out... Ryan has been all about the money this year and his dream move that looks more and more likely of not coming off.

However, we also need to see the flip side of a player that is out of contract and hoping to play for another team, and doesn't want to risk injury...

Tough one I know but I would certainly entertain the idea of Taylor... at least sound him out... 33 goals form 66 games is not a bad return...

I look at the difference in Ake throwing himself at a ball and injuring himself in his last appearance despite knowing (let's not pretend he was unaware a bid was coming) a top six club move was likely and players like Fraser and Taylor protecting themselves. It's their right but I wouldn't want to be in a position where I have to rely on them.

I look at the difference in Ake throwing himself at a ball and injuring himself in his last appearance despite knowing (let's not pretend he was unaware a bid was coming) a top six club move was likely and players like Fraser and Taylor protecting themselves. It's their right but I wouldn't want to be in a position where I have to rely on them.
Exactly. As per the adage "There is no I in TEAM".
If you buy into the team ethos, you do these things for your mates, your teammates. Since football is a team game, there really should be a sense of unity and being prepared to give your all for the sake of the team.
Unfortunately there are plenty of players out there who put their own interests above those of the team and their teammates. Frankly those are the sort of players we don't need in our current situation ! Fortunately there are also exceptions, Ake as you mentioned being a classic example of somebody giving his all for the greater good of the team and possibly to his own detriment.

Maybe his shift in mentality is the reason he no longer drives a scirocco and drives down to Yeovil to sit in the stand and watch us because he’s been left out of the match day squad.
Still think he bailed on Charlton, however fair play to him overall. Turned his career around

;