Marc Pugh

Thinking about that Ramadan thread, I wonder what Marc, as a sports nutrition and athletic performance expert, would have to say about a player who eats and drinks nothing for 13 hours before a game ?

Not trying to stir anything up here, I am genuinely interested to know if it's possible to deprive yourself of food and fluids and still put in a peak performance.

Common sense would probably say no, but I'd be interested to hear what an expert would say.

You might be interested in this article on the subject.

https://www.aspetar.com/journal/viewarticle.aspx?id=59#.ZDE86S_TXi1

More upto date.

https://www.englandfootball.com/art...d-football-england-football-guidance-20232803

Last edited:
A good read.

Wish there were people more like Pugh. He simply comes across as a thoroughly decent and humble individual.

One had it all far too soon and felt he didn't need to work at it and wasn't mentally strong enough, the other is a grafter with a strong mindset. You can't make someone work hard, if it's not in them.
Often the way that people with less talent achieve more with the right work ethic.

What a player for us was Marc pugh - and the club was upset with the final transfer fee when we got him!!

He was a player. He was pulling up trees for Hereford and I was delighted when we signed him. An all-time favourite.
Agreed. He was a player ….and more than that for the club. Hope that Neto has a similar impact in the dressing room re team and positivity now

Didn’t hurt his future career that he scored against us home and away that season

Last edited:
Often the way that people with less talent achieve more with the right work ethic.

What a player for us was Marc pugh - and the club was upset with the final transfer fee when we got him!!

Read something about education that no doubt applies to many things.

Basically indicated that people with naturally higher iq breeze through school, maybe a levels due to their talent.

As a result don't always develop capacity for 'work' and resilience as someone with average/above intelligence, so can end up struggling when needing to apply themselves when more dedication is required.

Obviously some extremely gifted people also develop work ethic/capacity and destined to be success beyond education.

Same kind of thing no doubt applies to footballers.

Even more so if constantly praised for being clever/smart rather than 'well done, yku achieved that through commitment/applying yoursekf'. Basically trying instil attitude rather than oh you're so good, just need to turn up and you'll do fine. Can be a real hit to ego/confidence apparently if naturally gifted people start to struggle in the 'real world' after years of praise for being 'special'. It then comes down to how mentally strong, resilient they are in order to step up or sink.

I like reading auto biographies and the amount of successfull business men that did poorly at school and acknowledge they're not anything beyond average intelligence, but imply they do possess extreme focus, drive, capacity for work and resilience well above average to see things through and get results.

Last edited:
Didn’t hurt his future career that he scored against us home and away that season
He was excellent in that away game, two goals, really stood out for the opposition. Not many times you’d see someone against us and take as much notice, but you could that night.

Hereford even released a dvd for that game according to this.

He was excellent in that away game, two goals, really stood out for the opposition. Not many times you’d see someone against us and take as much notice, but you could that night.

Hereford even released a dvd for that game according to this.

I recall him playing well against us at ours for an incredibly sh1t Hereford team (think they were relegated in the end). Stood out that evening amongst the rest of the absolute dross in the Hereford team.

Then looked like a wizard right away fir us. Amazing how he ended up at such a low level tbh.

Also not sure why he was tge only player no one signed from us when Mitchell sold everyone after The Different Class lead playoff campaign.

Real mystery as he was so good. And probably would have sold him for 250k, which he was clearly worth and more.

I recall him playing well against us at ours for an incredibly sh1t Hereford team (think they were relegated in the end). Stood out that evening amongst the rest of the absolute dross in the Hereford team.

Then looked like a wizard right away fir us. Amazing how he ended up at such a low level tbh.

Also not sure why he was tge only player no one signed from us when Mitchell sold everyone after The Different Class lead playoff campaign.

Real mystery as he was so good. And probably would have sold him for 250k, which he was clearly worth and more.

I think he did that home and away that season didn't get? Great goal at DC if I recall.

Great and humble guy is Marc met him once as he sat next to me at an end of season dinner…he was recovering from that awful freak knee injury he got at Orient..have a lot of respect for him..a really tidy player for us too

I was sure that we’d lose him at the time and he would have been a huge loss. Maybe he didn’t want to leave ? Maybe he thought the time wasn’t right ? I remember being so relieved when that transfer window closed and he was still here !

;