Marc Pugh

lennonhw

Trialist
Mark Pugh has had a very good pre-season, finishing it off with a high class goal in yesterdays match. Whenever he played last season he seemed to have a positive impact on the game in someway, many times scoring. I also think Eddie really likes him so do you think it could be Mark Pugh we will see on the left wing of the starting line-up against Man U? Or will he remain on the bench. I'm not sure if he quite beats Gradel as he has also had quite a good pre-season but we will wait and see. :afcb:

I like Pugh in away games as gives us better shape defensively and has a little more space in which to do his tricks. At home, however, I prefer him as an impact sub as he plays that role so well.

lennonhw - 7/8/2016 09:55

Mark Pugh has had a very good pre-season, finishing it off with a high class goal in yesterdays match. Whenever he played last season he seemed to have a positive impact on the game in someway, many times scoring.

Marc Pugh scored three last season.

I wasn't sure Marc Pugh could make the step up last season purely down to his pace. He proved however that his other qualities meant he offered something different and clearly deserved a place in the squad.

In a 4-4-2 he's a better option on the left wing to Gradel due to his work rate and cover to the full back. In closing out games he's also better than Gradel because he keeps the ball better and can slow down the play and draw fouls.

In a varient of 4-5-1 we will need the pace on the wings more to support the lone main striker and that's when a Gradel, King, Mousset, Grabban would be a better option to Pugh.

I didn't think he'd make the step up to the Championship, he proved me wrong. I definitely didn't think he'd be able to cut it in the Premier League, delighted to say he's proved me wrong again.

Silent AFCB - 7/8/2016 11:07

I didn't think he'd make the step up to the Championship, he proved me wrong. I definitely didn't think he'd be able to cut it in the Premier League, delighted to say he's proved me wrong again.

Same. He's a great player to have in the squad and has a great attitude. I think he'll get plenty of game time too.

It's great to have two left options in Pugh and Gradel who are so completely different. Pugh brings the work rate, solidity, consistency, reliability, and let's not forget some quality as well.

Pughie, one of our longest serving players now; four years away from a testimonial.

I used to think he would be the one to 'do a Ritchie' latterly speaking, if big money was put in front of him, but to his credit he's stayed loyal and that is worth so much.

Good enough for PL we are in, heck yes, absolutely.

Possibly a future coach, even a decent manager perhaps.

He is the one to fly in face of the 'raw pace' policy. He has sufficient guile, intelligence and skill to provide that something different that can be so important - and weighs in with some very good goals as well!

He's our Milner. Dependable. Never let's you down. Never in the headlines. Stable family life. And the nicest guy in the world. Can't imagine a Bournemouth squad without him. Yes, I'm a big fan.

I agree with all of the above. Good player to have away from home to tighten up the left wing but we need extra pace to take it to the opposition at times.

I thought he was great at times last season,his goal v West Ham was top drawer,if a player in a top team had done that,it would have been shown over and over.
For me his only problem at times is bottle,he does tend to back out of fifty fifty balls,and if he takes a hard challenge or two he goes missing.Stamina isn't great either.
I think he will gradually be eased out,he will mainly be an impact sub this season in a 4-3-3 that I think we will be playing....

I fear for Marc now, the 4-3-3 formation is not going to suit him at all. Can't see how he fits into that formation, his best chance is if we revert to 4-4-2 like we did at the end of the game.
We looked more solid in the middle, but we lost our wing play in my opinion with that formation. Glad I'm not the manager!

The formation yesterday provided better defensive shape but with a trade off for less attacking play, especially down the wings. Against the top teams this is needed but expect against other sides we will revert to 442 (or 4411) so Pugh remains part of Eddie's plans. No doubt Pugh and Ritchie combine better with full backs than Ibe or King.

There'll be plenty of times when he will be required. We won't stick with that formation all the time and he can be a useful impact sub too.

Was he one who had one of the niggles Eddie mentioned pre match ?

If we are leading the game with 20 minutes to go, who would you prefer to play wide and help protect the full backs to see the game out: Pugh, or Ibe/Gradel?

AFCBade - 15/8/2016 08:43

The formation yesterday provided better defensive shape but with a trade off for less attacking play, especially down the wings. Against the top teams this is needed but expect against other sides we will revert to 442 (or 4411) so Pugh remains part of Eddie's plans. No doubt Pugh and Ritchie combine better with full backs than Ibe or King.

I think it's difficult for Ritchie to combine with our fullbacks this season...

AFCBade - 15/8/2016 08:43

I think it's difficult for Ritchie to combine with our fullbacks this season...

;