Marcus Tavernier

There’s a fair amount of angst on here about our ability to integrate 1 or 2 new centre backs into the side with just week to go before the season starts.

If that’s a valid concern, how on earth are Forest going to integrate all of these 11 new players?

Case of having to I suppose. Need to catch these teams earlier than later, so 3rd September might be a good time.

How to line up now???

Travers
Smith Lerma Kelly
Fredericks/JA Cook JZ/Tavernier
Christie/Tavernier Billing Rothwell
Solanke

Something like this?

I would expect "one of the best" center backs in Germany to be a player at "one of the best" teams. A regular international and perhaps played in the champions league.

Now, this guy might be good, might even be great, but saying he's one of the best is just hyperbole to make a point.

A West Ham site was talking about their club signing him as he would only cost £8 million.

There’s a fair amount of angst on here about our ability to integrate 1 or 2 new centre backs into the side with just week to go before the season starts.

If that’s a valid concern, how on earth are Forest going to integrate all of these 11 new players?
I don't get the "angst" is about our ability to integrate 1 or 2 new centre backs more about whether or not we will get 1 or 2 new centre backs at all.

Marcus Tavernier believes Chris Wilder is playing him in his favourite position.

The Boro talisman has occupied a number of roles in the team this season and where he is most effective has long been a debate among Boro fans.

But since Wilder's arrival Tavernier has played as an eight - a central midfielder with attacking responsibility.

From joining the club, new boss Wilder has spoken regularly about round pegs in round holes in relation to playing players in their best positions, and Tavernier feels that's certainly benefited him so far.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport...marcus-tavernier-goals-middlesbrough-22343713

Like has been said, it depends where you are looking. If you are only looking at the domestic market (as it appears we are) then it certainly becomes a lot more difficult to find value. Although I could still name you players that are/were available for less/similar than Phillips that are certainly at least of similar quality, players like Lenihan (who went to Boro) and Rob Dickie of QPR. I’m sure the argument will be that other PL clubs weren’t/aren’t interested in these players but other PL clubs aren’t interested in Phillips either!
Neither of those two quoted are as good as Philips in prem.

Marcus Tavernier believes Chris Wilder is playing him in his favourite position.

The Boro talisman has occupied a number of roles in the team this season and where he is most effective has long been a debate among Boro fans.

But since Wilder's arrival Tavernier has played as an eight - a central midfielder with attacking responsibility.

From joining the club, new boss Wilder has spoken regularly about round pegs in round holes in relation to playing players in their best positions, and Tavernier feels that's certainly benefited him so far.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport...marcus-tavernier-goals-middlesbrough-22343713

Just play billing christie tavernier marcondes and rothwell down the middle

I would expect "one of the best" center backs in Germany to be a player at "one of the best" teams. A regular international and perhaps played in the champions league.

Now, this guy might be good, might even be great, but saying he's one of the best is just hyperbole to make a point.
How is it hyperbole? They signed the fifth top scorer in the bundesliga last season too for 17.5m. Is it hyperbole to say they signed one of the best strikers in that league too?

Joking aside we could play something similar to how Mark Robins sets Coventry up with a box midfield in front of a back three.........so.....
...................................Travers.......

...................Mepham.....Lerma......Kelly.....

Smith..............Pearlo.....Cook...............Zemura

.......................Rothwell.......Billing

................................Dom.

How is it hyperbole? They signed the fifth top scorer in the bundesliga last season too for 17.5m. Is it hyperbole to say they signed one of the best strikers in that league too?

It would be hyperbole to say they signed one the top 5 strikers in the league yes, because he was 6th… ;) and 5 goals adrift of being the fifth top goal scorer. :)

;