match report and MOM v Chelsea

I thought the same, but what was interesting was the commentary team criticised the midfield for not trying to make a tackle.

But not making a tackle was key.

They created a wall. If someone had committed to a tackle then we'd have probably seen Chelsea skip past us and score.

It was frustrating barely getting away from the edge of our own 18 yard line, especially first half, but patience clearly won the day.

But not making a tackle was key.

They created a wall. If someone had committed to a tackle then we'd have probably seen Chelsea skip past us and score.

It was frustrating barely getting away from the edge of our own 18 yard line, especially first half, but patience clearly won the day.
Yep I totally agree with you. It's always interesting to hear others opinions, especially ex pros who watch a lot of football. (I know a lot of them it feels like they don't know anything about football!)

Boruc positioning excellent as was his flying save to deny Pedro. He was indebted to the post as well later when another flowing Chelsea move saw the Spaniard's head connect..

Great report, thanks Neil.

One thing I'd like to just point out here is that although, yes, the header did come off the crossbar, it only did that because of an absolutely incredible reaction save from Boruc where he pushed the bullet of a header up just enough to save it going in.

I had no idea he had touched it while watching the stream but the replays showed that that was all Artur. He had an absolutely cracking game.

Great report Neil. Cookie deserved a goal to reflect his brilliant defensive display. Ake was great too and made countless clearances. Both a 9 for me

What is the record for a goal to be scored on your debut in the EPL. Mepham must of been on for 3 seconds before we scored.

Thanks Neil good report. This will have done King’s confidence no end of good. And as for Clyne: from his displays so far we should move heaven and earth to sign him permanently.

I thought that Luiz was astonishingly bad for our second goal. Doesn’t he know that Brooks is left footed?

Roger,

Watch the "tackle" on Brooks before the 2nd goal. Jumped in with 2 feet like a kid in the playground.

Brilliant report thanks, if Boruc didn’t make that incredible save in the opening minutes it’s scary to think what the result could have been.
Absolutely this - hard to describe how brilliant Chelsea were first half. Possibly the best team I’ve seen this season (until HT). We all said if they score one, floodgates will open. I was just hoping we could limit it to 0-2. Hats off to our back four and ‘the big Pole in our goal!’ Great to see Artur interacting with the SS chanting his name second half. He grew a foot taller during the game. Just immense.

Absolutely this - hard to describe how brilliant Chelsea were first half. Possibly the best team I’ve seen this season (until HT). We all said if they score one, floodgates will open. I was just hoping we could limit it to 0-2. Hats off to our back four and ‘the big Pole in our goal!’ Great to see Artur interacting with the SS chanting his name second half. He grew a foot taller during the game. Just immense.
Yes,I grew six inches mate when the fourth went in

I was saying the same at half time.

Chelsea without the ball first half were the best side to come to Dean Court this season. Their pressing, their movement everything was impressive. I enjoyed tactically watching them rather than ball watching.

We might have given the ball away a lot (turnovers as our North American friends would say), but you have to give Chelsea the acknowledgment that they pressed quick and forced us to play it quicker than we would like and that forced the errors.

With the ball in the final third they struggled. But for that you then have to give Howe and the team the nod for performing the game plan perfectly.

Good report

I would mark;

Boruc 8 Great save and good positioning throughout he game to deny Chelsea's shooting.
Clyne 8 Defensively savvy to reduce their attacking threat down his flank.
Cook 9 Monster defending again from Cookie.
Ake 9 Brilliant and in the right place so often, Chelsea must be kicking themselves!
Smith 9 Another energetic display, he is so important to our play, adapting to LB really well.
Fraser 7 Dangerous in patches, looked like he picked up a hamstring pull late in the game?
Gosling 7 Put in a shift, but his passing out from defence was woeful at times.
Surman 7 Solid, but doesn't look for the forward ball enough IMO, like to see him put his foot in a bit more?
Stanislas 7 Good performance, would like to see him attack quicker sometimes.
Brooks 9 Absolute revelation this season for us, has all the ability to go a long way. His goal was exquisite and his vision amazing at times.
King 8 Looked lost first half but came to life in the second half in a clinical manner, Well taken goals to secure us victory.

Ibe 7 Looked really up for it and used his head to good effect, great free kick cross for the last goal.
Daniels 7 Just for that brilliant header to make it 4...

Great report, thanks Neil.

One thing I'd like to just point out here is that although, yes, the header did come off the crossbar, it only did that because of an absolutely incredible reaction save from Boruc where he pushed the bullet of a header up just enough to save it going in.

I had no idea he had touched it while watching the stream but the replays showed that that was all Artur. He had an absolutely cracking game.

You are 100% right but I had no idea he touched it! Seeing it back on MOTD it was an amazing save. When a few of us were being derided for preferring Boruc to Begovic it was these wonder saves we were talking about. He will make more mistakes over the course of a season but he will also pull off more near impossible saves... you have to net one off against the other. I know which I prefer.

What a result. Got back from dropping two children to the station for school and was surprised to see nil all, will take that i said to myself. Got to work and logged on and had a right old laugh. Brilliant.
UTCIAD

another thing about Boruc: When Azpilacueta (can't be bothered to check spelling, sorry!) shot towards the end of the first half Boruc parried away.

A big criticism of Bego lately is that he has opted to parry a lot of shots and only served to push them onto the toes of the next attacker. Boruc parried that one almost to the corner flag.

One thing that struck me was regards Surman and Gosling. In basically admitting that they can't play as normal midfielders up against that calibre of opposition, they suddenly became very effective shields when they focused purely on that task. Eddie's plan up until this season has been to play toe-to-toe with anyone and everyone, which exposes these two badly as somewhat limited against the top 6, perhaps more than anyone else in the squad. However last night they absolutely nailed the routine of surrendering the usual midfield area, crowing out the final third, sucking Chelsea in.

For all that first half Chelsea dominance, they created only one genuine chance (Boruc tip onto the crossbar). Everything else was pretty meat and drink. Now Chelsea fans will blame their own creative players and their manager's style for that, and no doubt they have a point. But it should be noted that we executed a plan perfectly.

I thought the same, but what was interesting was the commentary team criticised the midfield for not trying to make a tackle.

First half lots of us were thinking get stuck in a bit more. But it was really a game plan just to close the space rather than try and tackle and then get beaten by the likes of Hazard. That kind of game plan suits Surman and Gosling pefectly. Dare I say it but if Lerma had played he would have committed to the tackle more, prob got booked and we might have been opened up a bit. Thats not a criticism of Lerma just that this was perfect for the game plan.

One thing that struck me was regards Surman and Gosling. In basically admitting that they can't play as normal midfielders up against that calibre of opposition, they suddenly became very effective shields when they focused purely on that task. Eddie's plan up until this season has been to play toe-to-toe with anyone and everyone, which exposes these two badly as somewhat limited against the top 6, perhaps more than anyone else in the squad. However last night they absolutely nailed the routine of surrendering the usual midfield area, crowing out the final third, sucking Chelsea in.

For all that first half Chelsea dominance, they created only one genuine chance (Boruc tip onto the crossbar). Everything else was pretty meat and drink. Now Chelsea fans will blame their own creative players and their manager's style for that, and no doubt they have a point. But it should be noted that we executed a plan perfectly.

damn, you beat me to it, but I agree 100%.

;