Match Report and MOM v Naarwich

Your attempts at talking down the squad are the only thing that are desperate. Just read them twice to check my eyes.

If you are happy with watching your team not have the ball at home and win then that’s fine. It’s just not my preferred style of football to watch. Plenty of Stoke fans didn’t like their possession stats under Pulis others wish they still had them and were playing Man U. I respect people’s rights to value results over football it’s just not my preference. Different stokes for different folks.

now read them a third time to check your understanding.......

where did I say I was happy with our possession stats...?

bottom line, just give the manager a chance

Absolutely right!

Let me remind everyone what happened on Tuesday, the 3rd of December last year.

We had 70% possession and 575 passes with a completion rate of 86%.

The result: a 1-0 loss because of one of the most gutless performances that I can recall from a Bournemouth team. That includes drivel served up under Benson, Bradbury, Groves, Hartley, Quinn and when we were managerless.

Well reminded...

Well reminded...
Bit selective though? Picking one game where we had a lot of possession and lost. What about the many many games where we had more possession and hammered teams? Last time we were in this division with lesser players we frequently had 60% plus possession and hammered teams. Let’s not talk about that though? Instead let’s trawl the records and find a game where we had a lot of possession and lost.

#evangelical - is that in a derogatory sense like gammon or Karen?
Indeed it is. Call Neil an expert though and he's the first to start blabbing about people being condescending.

After these three games, I think we've done well considering the changes the club has endured over the summer. We've lost an excellent manager and some very good players who I think would thrive at this level. The team is finding its feet in a completely new league.

I wasn't that bored yesterday. Nervous yes but bored no.

Indeed it is. Call Neil an expert though and he's the first to start blabbing about people being condescending.

After these three games, I think we've done well considering the changes the club has endured over the summer. We've lost an excellent manager and some very good players who I think would thrive at this level. The team is finding its feet in a completely new league.

I wasn't that bored yesterday. Nervous yes but bored no.
You can call me an ‘expert’ anytime Rob.
It’s ‘so called expert’ that grates:grinning:

Bit selective though? Picking one game where we had a lot of possession and lost. What about the many many games where we had more possession and hammered teams? Last time we were in this division with lesser players we frequently had 60% plus possession and hammered teams. Let’s not talk about that though? Instead let’s trawl the records and find a game where we had a lot of possession and lost.

Yep is is selective but it also is needed to add balance... I agree in that I would like to see us generally have more possession and more positive possession as well. Hopefully that will come...

As I said in my post, we should be in no fear of any team in this league, at home... I hope our defensive set up was more a measure based on the condition/strength of our side at the moment, in order to counter one of the better teams in this league, and not an insight into how JT thinks we will go forward in the coming months...

5 for Solanke is both expected and unfair. I think if someone is going to take the time to write reviews every week, they should always be open minded and not always pre-judge any player. If you would have stated that he had a solid first half, when he was unlucky not to score but dropped off in the second half, maybe a 6 or 7 rating, that would have been fair and balanced.

I think I realised a while back, that the possession stat is fairly meaningless, when it comes to winning games. It's what you do when you have possession but also when you don't have it, that really counts. Yesterday, we got the goal and then managed the rest of the game pretty well. Maybe another day, we could have kept pushing and pushing, left gaps at the back and conceded.

JT is doing ok so far. The continuity has helped [ and I wasn't so keen to have him initially ] but he is also trying different formations and styles, often in the same game, something we all felt Eddie had stopped doing. Due to this, it won't always be perfect right away. Think of the key players we have lost, it will take a little time to change a losing mentality too. What we have now, is an honest group, who are all working hard for the team [ yes, even Solanke ], so lets back them all. Look at the training videos and pics, lots of smiles and positivity throughout the group. If JT can keep that going, it will be worth some extra points alone. Hopefully he can get that two or three players in that he has spoken about too.

We may not always play breath-taking football, it might not quite be the free flowing stuff we had the last time we were in this division but three tough games, seven points, while everything beds in.

5 for Solanke is both expected and unfair. I think if someone is going to take the time to write reviews every week, they should always be open minded and not always pre-judge any player. If you would have stated that he had a solid first half, when he was unlucky not to score but dropped off in the second half, maybe a 6 or 7 rating, that would have been fair and balanced.

I think I realised a while back, that the possession stat is fairly meaningless, when it comes to winning games. It's what you do when you have possession but also when you don't have it, that really counts. Yesterday, we got the goal and then managed the rest of the game pretty well. Maybe another day, we could have kept pushing and pushing, left gaps at the back and conceded.

JT is doing ok so far. The continuity has helped [ and I wasn't so keen to have him initially ] but he is also trying different formations and styles, often in the same game, something we all felt Eddie had stopped doing. Due to this, it won't always be perfect right away. Think of the key players we have lost, it will take a little time to change a losing mentality too. What we have now, is an honest group, who are all working hard for the team [ yes, even Solanke ], so lets back them all. Look at the training videos and pics, lots of smiles and positivity throughout the group. If JT can keep that going, it will be worth some extra points alone. Hopefully he can get that two or three players in that he has spoken about too.

We may not always play breath-taking football, it might not quite be the free flowing stuff we had the last time we were in this division but three tough games, seven points, while everything beds in.
If you read my verdict that’s basically what I say with regards to your comment on the Team. Solanke I stand by that score and it wasn’t prejudged. His continual losing of the ball and lack of game intelligence was poor

I think others have said above but I just don't think we have the players to be a possession team. Eddie over the last few years has signed players more suited to be combative and fast/explosive for the counter. If JT tried to play possession football with this squad I would think him a bit naïve. Lewis Cook is our only midfielder who could play that way, and our forwards don't go for slow build up it's very direct.

Also agree with above, Solanke I thought (miss aside) had a decent game. He will do the odd awful pass but I think he has technical quality and plays some great passes. Early second half I remember a great lofted chip which put Danjuma through but he mis controlled unfortunately. Whether he is a natural finisher is a valid question but I think he has been one of our better players.

Just a quick reminder for all those eulogising how good we were (and yes we were ultimately) when we won the Championship.
That season our first 10 league games our record was

Won 3
Drawn 3
Lost 4
F 14 A 13
Pts 12

Definitely a case of Howe OUT.
And look where it ended up..........................
I suggest all of us so called experts give Tindall (and no I didn't want him) and the team/formation etc time to settle down.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=359&teamTabs=results

I selected Palace away as I was one of the eight or nine hundred who witnessed that sorry show. There can't be anyone who left the away section anywhere remotely satisfied that night.

The pointy being that possession in itself, does not guarantee a good performance or a result (that's why I earlier posted about West Ham and Leicester yesterday).

By all means, let's keep hold of the ball. But that is only the half of it. We have to do something creative with it.

If you read my verdict that’s basically what I say with regards to your comment on the Team. Solanke I stand by that score and it wasn’t prejudged. His continual losing of the ball and lack of game intelligence was poor

I imagine he will be one of those players who will need to have a worldy to get a 6 from you then.

;