Match Report and MOM v Southampton

does anyone know what formation scummers were playing?
redmond, armstrong and ward-ponce were always around the ball playing triangles and keeping them in possession
conversely, we never seemed to be able to create any room in those tight areas and lacked the technical ability to keep hold of the ball - billing and lerma being the chief culprits
It was 442 .....that is its deemed to be 442 if its us or 4222 or whatever else Neil can think up if its another team doing well with it.

Speaking of Jack Wilshire, I wonder when his contract at WHU is up ? Can't see him getting another PL gig anywhere. Maybe he'd fancy another stint with us ? He'd be great in the Championship.
i was thinking the exact same thing the other day. His wages may be a problem though.

Methinks we are in for some shocks assuming we is defo in the Championship....its got tougher down there in the last few years. ..as Hudders, Boro and Hull have experienced....and we won't have any surprises about us as we did when we entered from the other end....
...poxy parachute payments mean sod all....that will be wasted or pocketed by some f√cking financial ferret or other.
A few dodgy results early on and the PL Joy Riders will jump off, led by the tw@tting Murs smurf and we will be unable to half- fill the Toybox...about 5,000 ish.

That'll do for a Mournful Monday Morning !

Last edited:
we have not replaced a massive hole left by wilshere and arter. Lewis cook was meant to be that player but eddie has turned him into a ball winning midfielder.

For all the talk of formation, and I agree it was disappointing to see us revert back to the midfield 2, we still had chances. Many of the disappointing games this season have seen us create nothing. But yesterday, while Southampton looked sharper than us in most areas, if you only swap Ings into our side perhaps instead of Callum we probably win 2-0 instead of them.

Formation is one piece of the jigsaw, but as ever in football if you don't take your chances...

It was 442 .....that is its deemed to be 442 if its us or 4222 or whatever else Neil can think up if its another team doing well with it.
Not me... it’s well documented. It’s what used to be called a narrow diamond. Contrast this with a flat wide line like yesterday’s two teams and it’s why we thought they had midfielders everywhere.6F0D9757-BE17-41B4-A040-A23ADD7A34AD.jpeg

You need to stop reading that fake news Neil.......its 442....what they do with that formation is another matter......they can do whatever they want within that framework of 442 just like we can and have over the years........but no...ours will always be 442 and Ralph is playing 4222!....lol

Last edited:
https://www.google.ie/search?q=bournemouth+results&oq=bornemouth+res&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.12018j1j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&no_sw_cr=1&ved=1t:46160#sie=m;/g/11j73wn9hm;2;/

You need to stop reading that fake news Neil.......its 442....what they do with that formation is another matter......they can do whatever they want within that framework of 442 just like we can and have over the years........but no...ours will always be 442 and Ralph is playing 4222!....lol
If you read back to the original post I did say we could talk about this for months :grinning:

If you want to know what the difference is just watch yesterday’s game again and look at where the eight midfielders stood...Four of them were fluid and four looked like they were on a table football team.

If you read back to the original post I did say we could talk about this for months :grinning:

If you want to know what the difference is just watch yesterday’s game again and look at where the eight midfielders stood...Four of them were fluid and four looked like they were on a table football team.
Why dont you bring that bbc graphic up that you used to "prove' what our formation was against Newcastle....whatever formation that has Southampton down as playing is fine by me.....no need for any argument at all.....:grinning:

My eyes saints play 442.
However will one sitting the other 3 do pop up all over , so it is flexible. All saints do with the ball is keep it simple.
Ours is 442 rigid . Player don’t tend to become fluid at all.

they also have two guys up front . Long is not prolific but he stretches teams and puts them under pressure . Saints have got a very settle side .

Finding it fascinating that Southampton can apparently play a flexible 4-4-2 where they play narrow and are fluid...

But when this is suggested that AFCB do something fluid and flexible (and I don’t mean recently but in general) it’s massively poop pooped and ludicrous and 4-4-2 is simply 4-4-2.

Do carry on...

Finding it fascinating that Southampton can apparently play a flexible 4-4-2 where they play narrow and are fluid...

But when this is suggested that AFCB do something fluid and flexible (and I don’t mean recently but in general) it’s massively poop pooped and ludicrous and 4-4-2 is simply 4-4-2.

Do carry on...
It’s not just about formation, it’s about having the players to suit the system that you are playing. Southampton have Ward Prowse in midfield, a technically gifted player who is comfortable on the ball and capable of dictating the pace of the game, we have Jeff Lerma and Phil Billing, two players who are not capable of looking after the ball and are only capable of slowing down the tempo of the game. Added to that Southampton have a player in Danny Ings who is comfortable dropping deep into the number ten position (look at his goal yesterday) and linking play, in contrast we have King and Wilson who most certainly are not capable of doing this (in fact they are the exact opposite of this style of player.) I think the point that people are making is that we don’t have the players required to play this system effectively, not that this system can’t potentially be effective with the correct personnel. I think that this is pretty hard to argue with to be honest, since the first month of the season have we actually one a game playing the 4-4-2? Genuine question. I may stand corrected but I can’t remember one. Where Howe has failed is in his inability to consistently play with a system that suits his players.

Do carry on...

Its good to be fascinated. I’m no tactical expert I just read tactical experts. No point asking me why one is fluid and the other could be drawn with a ruler.... I just saw it first hand yesterday and suspect you did too. All season we have read fans saying it’s like there is an extra man on the pitch... that’s because there is one extra man in the midfield against most opponents, Southampton push their full backs up to cover their diamonds lack of width. We used to do similar but not for three years.

Three flat lines is what we have had for 18 desperate month and I read somewhere it has produced 2 wins. Our other wins have come with a different formation which has been used far less often.

You can defend Eddies tactics till we are in League two (and I Suspect you will) but what are you putting our performances with our most talented squad down to? Var and injuries I’m guessing like the last few evangelicals...

You can defend Eddies tactics till we are in League two (and I Suspect you will) but what are you putting our performances with our most talented squad down to? Var and injuries I’m guessing like the last few evangelicals...

Ah evangelicals that hasn’t been trotted out for a while. :) Bless.

I put this season down to the players for all the reasons I’ve said before. It doesn’t change just because we put together a few good performances or we lose to Southampton.

As for the Southampton game. I think Howe tried to strip things down to being as basic as possible. Take the pressure of them with doing the “right things” by letting them be free to hit the channels, hit it long, chuck in the crosses, shoot from distance and hope for some 50-50’s and second balls to fall for us.

It was scrappy, it was messy, we created chances but it wasn’t pretty. I wasn’t a fan, but understand it with the circumstances and this set of players.

One of the biggest games in our History...and we looked like... Well we didn't play well, no urgency.. and seemed like we spent most of the 96 minutes trying to stick a Noodle in A Tigers @rse with Bolt Croppers...might as well of had Roy Cropper at Centre Forward... before Surridge came on and showed a way to score.

;