Matt O Riley

That link was posted on a Celtic fans forum.

Here are some of the replies.

Nice try transfer centre.

The rest say either a load of tosh or are :wahey:their heads off.
Posting stuff on here, doesn't mean I think it's happening.

Mind you, didn't they say all that about Christie?

Posting stuff on here, doesn't mean I think it's happening.

Mind you, didn't they say all that about Christie?

Neither do they. :grinning:

I read that as him not wanting to jump ship for a Bournemouth or a Crystal Palace (I wanted to say "a Southampton" for a moment there) any time soon and being happy to wait a while for his EPL move but, at the same time, not making any promises in case a big team like Spurs or Newcastle comes in (in which case, he'd be daft to knock them back).

I hope it's not just wishful thinking on my part.

For all that Celtic’s transfer model can frustrate both their supporters and even their manager at times, O’Riley is surely the poster boy for the approach of picking up and polishing rough diamonds.

It is remarkable to think that the 23-year-old was picked up for around a million quid and change from MK Dons almost exactly two years ago now. When he does eventually go, though Celtic fans will not want to contemplate such a scenario, it is not outlandish to say the fee he commands may well trouble the record £25m Celtic raked in for the sales of Kieran Tierney and Jota.

Even if Celtic were to be offered that sort of cash in January though, supporters may very well still baulk at the prospect of losing such a key player at this critical juncture of the season.

O’Riley has always been a classy player, but both he and Rodgers deserve credit for his development this season into a number eight who can not only supply for teammates, but be relied upon to be a consistent source of goals himself.

The problem is that every one of our players would look incredible playing in Scotland.

If he's that that good he needs to be playing above league one level and it might well be the player pushing for a move.

Links neatly to another thread

Is the Champions League above league one level ?

If he’s a No 10 type player would AFCB really be in for him when they have 2/3 No 10’s already? The tweet saying 5 million probs just made up link.

He’s a number 8.

O’Riley has always been a classy player, but both he and Rodgers deserve credit for his development this season into a number eight who can not only supply for teammates, but be relied upon to be a consistent source of goals himself.

Links neatly to another thread

Is the Champions League above league one level ?

Celtic are given the Scottish title on a plate every year and get smashed in the Champions League so just heaps on evidence that the Scottish Premiership is at best lower league level.

Celtic are given the Scottish title on a plate every year and get smashed in the Champions League so just heaps on evidence that the Scottish Premiership is at best lower league level.

They're at solid champ/playoff push level imo.

They have some players that definitely be top players in 2nd tier imo and likely a few would do OK on pl... for mid lower teams.

They'd walk league 1 imo. Substantially better players, squad than Pompey.

They're at solid champ/playoff push level imo.

Celtic maybe but the league as a whole isn't.

I wonder if Celtic competed in the Championship (without any financial changes) it would lead to a decline over a few seasons.

Often find that not needing to be competitive in a league flatters a side because they can have form drops, squad rebuilds, etc without the pressure of potentially not performing.

My original point was this guy would be playing against League two/League one standard teams so it's a similar step up to Dembele.

Not saying he isn't good but you should temper your expectations as he's been playing at a lower level than say Scott who looked class at a level above or Adams who had great numbers in a struggling Premier League side.

;