Max Aarons

Do we have the plastic (grassmaster) woven into the grass?

There does seem to be a point to be made about modern boots in all this.

Maybe traditional boots are no good with the grass/plastic (grassmaster) pitches today?

Yeah, and just think how much better they would have been with the lovingly cared for pitches we have today
That's possible...and I can't argue too vehemently on that score....
...they would be fitter too...but other elements would enter the equation, things that perhaps we wouldn't think of...to do with rules and referees.
....The pace of the modern game could either help them or hinder them..I don't know.

What I do know is that the variation of pitches back then was far more interesting and apt to promote conversational vibrancy on terraces and in pubs.
Today's game is apt to be boring....with VAR alone, ruining moments of joy !
Perfect pitches..but imperfect much else...including ever-present consistently reliable players !

I always loved the reaction of the opposition goalkeepers when the old south stand would clap as they approach the goal. Keepers can be real characters.
Ahhhhh thanks for prompting that trip down memory lane, had completely forgotten that, was always fun when one of them clapped back :D

Ahhhhh thanks for prompting that trip down memory lane, had completely forgotten that, was always fun when one of them clapped back :D
Jim Furnell was coming to the end of his playing days, Goalie for Rotherham.
After getting stick for around an hour, he belted out. ‘ Go and wreck a few trains’.
Early 70’s I think.

But credible to them.
I think it's a good thing for at least a few of us to present some different angles on things 'Afcb'.

I even absolutely hate the term 'Afcb'.

Should be Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic FC...hey they are 'athletes' now are they not ? ..ha hah...ha ha hah... .got that one in !
....or even Boscombe St John's Institute FC ....wouldn't that be something when we face Madrid or the like..in a Euro Final....I could get AI to bring my Great Grandad back to life from bones ..he who watched the old St John's boys pre- 1899 !
Without them there would no club now ..no History..£uck -all !
By different angles do you just mean just spouting total ******************************** ? In which case where is the value of doing that except to get a rise from people.

I remember one 'keeper, I think for Blackpool but probably wrong, portly lad. Just as the South Stand were starting to give him grief about his bmi and marital status of his parents at birth, he held up a hand, lifted his shirt to show a Roy Chubby Brown "You Fat B*stard" t-shirt. Absolutely superb! Had the section I as in in stitches, even when taking the mick out of our players, Fletch in particular!

I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will know who it was.

I remember one 'keeper, I think for Blackpool but probably wrong, portly lad. Just as the South Stand were starting to give him grief about his bmi and marital status of his parents at birth, he held up a hand, lifted his shirt to show a Roy Chubby Brown "You Fat B*stard" t-shirt. Absolutely superb! Had the section I as in in stitches, even when taking the mick out of our players, Fletch in particular!

Was he as fat as that bloke who used to play for Lymington a few years back.

He really was a big unit.

I remember Dagenham away, the keeper (Tony Roberts) was a character and got involved with the chants and started conducting us singing whilst the game was going on :)

Just checked and he's now GK coach at AC Milan - how bizarre!!!

That’s a little bit disingenuous isn’t it?

Adams- yes you have a point with that one.

Scott- picked up an unavoidable impact injury.

Aarons- has barely missed a game over the past four years before signing for us, the only data you can use to predict the future is the past unless you expect Hughes to see into the future?

Kerkez- was injured for a bit yeh, as will every player be at some point. So what? Bit harsh to expect Hughes to sign players immune from injury.

Sinisterra- didn’t sign unfit, he’d been playing for Leeds in the championship. He barely starts because the manager chooses not to, despite the fact he nearly always looks good when he plays.

Unal- we were only able to get due to his injury situation. He is a regular la liga goal scorer in his prime who we have the option to sign for 14m. He’s had one big injury in his career, an ACL which can happen to any player. Up until that point he’s played regularly wherever he’s been. He’s had limited minutes so far but looked very promising.

You make some good points but you ruin your argument when you try to twist everything to prove a point like this. Maybe it’s not black and white? Maybe we’ve signed some good ones and some duds. Maybe Hughes isn’t totally incompetent but he’s also not a world beater either? Made a few mistakes but also got quite a bit right along the way too. Just a thought.
What twisted hellscape is this where Waz is the Voice of Reason?

By different angles do you just mean just spouting total ******************************** ? In which case where is the value of doing that except to get a rise from people.
Partly ...and up yours ..unless you are enough up it that it won't make a difference..
Hey look ..Bade man...I just speak my mind...and that's all there is to it !

You say I'm spouting crap.... but what have YOU got that reflects on what's going on in Football ...that we can aspire to as hungry afficionados of the game......?

I remember Dagenham away, the keeper (Tony Roberts) was a character and got involved with the chants and started conducting us singing whilst the game was going on :)

Actually that name rings a bell, could've been him!

that really is surreal that he is in Milan!

He was funny

I think he coached at arsenal for a while

Grobelaar in front of South end 2nd half half fir Plymouth was my favourite.

Load of us madr our way down from the back to greet him. 'Brucie gives us a /goal/bung. Brucie, Brucie gives us a /goal/bung...' whilst waving monopoly money.

He looked at us abd laughed, before squirtting his water bottle at us. :D

;