Nat Phillips

We desperately need defenders, Phillips fits the bill and if he can be got for reasonable money (counting £10 million as the going rate in this market) then sign him up.

10m while still a lot of money, seems reasonable considering the bonus that he brings with him, i.e. known quantity, knows the squad, knows the area, has an existing partnership with Kelly.
Unfortunately I could now see personal terms being a sticking point, if we really are being careful with the cash. Let's say that we agree the fee at 10m with Liverpool, his agent is not daft and will know that we are getting desperate for defenders. They would be in a pretty strong negotiating position and might want us to pay him a hefty wage to come here. The fee is just one part of the story, unfortunately.

Let's hope we can get him back without breaking the bank because it would be one of the easiest additions to the squad if we can get it done.

The £10 million which is being reported on a number of websites, including one or two Liverpool ones, stems from this piece in the Express.

Liverpool reduce Phillips price

Liverpool are ready to sell Nat Phillips after reducing their asking price for the central defender.

Bournemouth had initially shown strong interest in re-signing their former loanee at the beginning of the window but a deal is yet to materialise.

The Cherries are among those still keen on a deal but Liverpool would favour a sale over another loan after handing Phillips a new deal to protect his value.

Having initially demanded £15m for the defender, Liverpool are now willing to sell Phillips for just £10m as they invite bidders to the table.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...enal-loan-West-Ham-exit-Chelsea-sale-Man-City

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2022/...less-to-sell-incredible-defender-this-summer/

You’d think if we were prepared to give Boro 12m for someone that didn’t play for us we’d give 15m for someone that had done successfully as clearly Max hasn’t shut the wallet.

10m while still a lot of money, seems reasonable considering the bonus that he brings with him, i.e. known quantity, knows the squad, knows the area, has an existing partnership with Kelly.
Unfortunately I could now see personal terms being a sticking point, if we really are being careful with the cash. Let's say that we agree the fee at 10m with Liverpool, his agent is not daft and will know that we are getting desperate for defenders. They would be in a pretty strong negotiating position and might want us to pay him a hefty wage to come here. The fee is just one part of the story, unfortunately.

Let's hope we can get him back without breaking the bank because it would be one of the easiest additions to the squad if we can get it done.
I think if we reduce the fee to 10 million the saving helps iron out the wages.
What it could do to squad harmony is another question.

We couldn't have Nat our our highest paid, surely. He'd have to take a cut.
I'm not saying he wouldn't have to take a pay cut but some of our squad have had substantial rises following promotion. In some cases there wouldn't be a gap in wages.We paid a loan fee for him last season which kind of took care of his wages.

;