New Football League restructure proposals

Let's not forget the damage this would cause to the conference. Who is going to buy TV rights for that when there are already 5 domestic leagues?

cardiffcherry - 19/5/2016 19:21

Instead of League 3, why not League 2 North and League Two South - more derbies, cheaper for fans and bigger attendances.

I've expected the current leagues below Championship and League 1 (so Div4 and Alliance Premier League in old money) to go regional ever since they switched to North and South as conference feeder leagues.

Looking even less likely now.

Zero chance of going through.
Losing 3 League games a season will alone ensure that a majority of League 1 & 2 will vote against.
Makes you wonder what of the remaining suggestions will resurface at a later date as that's what the 'powers' really want to happen.

Maybe this is the FLs answer to the rumoured breakaway of the PL.

The FL could be preparing a premptive strike and will leave the PL to it's own devices.

Come on; that makes about as much sense as anything else. :grin:

Academy sides to enter the Paint Pot...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36503204

No B teams, no Rangers or Celtic, League One, Two and Three would have no winter break (if one is introduced).

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/premier-league-b-teams-ruled-out-following-first-phase-of-consultation-3322371.aspx

Good news I think!

TrevorMorganFanClub - 20/5/2016 10:06

Instead of League 3, why not League 2 North and League Two South - more derbies, cheaper for fans and bigger attendances.

I've expected the current leagues below Championship and League 1 (so Div4 and Alliance Premier League in old money) to go regional ever since they switched to North and South as conference feeder leagues.

Looking even less likely now.

It would appear regionalisation has been discussed...

<I>All clubs, who will potentially vote on a final proposal in June 2017, have been considering the specific issues of regionalisation, the number of teams per division, divisional restructure, winter break and from where in the game the additional teams will come from. </I>

Would be weird to go from a national conference to a divided professional league.

yesyescherry - 19/5/2016 18:22

7 teams would be relegated in season 2018/2019

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-19/football-league-wants-four-divisions-of-20-teams-in-time-for-2018-19-season/

That's ridiculous, surely you do five (already too many) for two seasons and let it catch up

My memory might be failing me, but didn't we get relegated one season due to a league restructure, as in we wouldn't have if it stayed the same number as normal

Don't know about that, but five teams went down in the Great Escape season, which made it an even bigger achievement that we stayed up.

redharry - 23/9/2016 09:57

And the problem with the current structure is what ?

Not problems per say, but motivations depending on your football worldview:

The PL wants fewer sides
The FL would like to bring a few of the bigger/better non league sides up
Having an extra buffer league might help keep clubs in their place, with less likelihood of falling down or flying up the leagues quickly. That's favourable to some.

abts - 23/9/2016 09:30

Don't know about that, but five teams went down in the Great Escape season, which made it an even bigger achievement that we stayed up.

That was what I was thinking of, cheers

http://mobile.efl.com//news/article/2016/efl-whole-game-solution-statement-3418640.aspx

Not a good week for them with the EFL Trophy shambles going on as well. Disgraceful fining clubs for playing their youth in what has to now be one of the worst cups in footballing history.

Silent AFCB - 17/11/2016 06:58

Not a good week for them with the EFL Trophy shambles going on as well. Disgraceful fining clubs for playing their youth in what has to now be one of the worst cups in footballing history.

Wonder if they are going to pay it. Luton fans I know are convinced that the FA hate them already. If I was a chairman I would tell them to whistle for it.

beds cherry - 17/11/2016 11:41

Wonder if they are going to pay it. Luton fans I know are convinced that the FA hate them already. If I was a chairman I would tell them to whistle for it.

They don't have any choice unfortunately, as the £15k they have been fined will come out of their £20k prize money.

Silent AFCB - 17/11/2016 09:06

beds cherry - 17/11/2016 11:41

They don't have any choice unfortunately, as the £15k they have been fined will come out of their £20k prize money.

'kin joke :thumsd:

I have always gone to every home game, league, FA Cup, League Cup, auto windscreen etc over the 50 years I have watched. I would not however go to an EFL trophy game against someone's U21 side. Whoever dreamt this up should be taken to one side and put out of their misery.

;