New Kings Park Stadium

I hope the council are somehow paving the way by offering help in some way. Tricky though because the general public are not necessarily likely to want much public money being used to help a premier league club that pays millions for players.
It depends on how much the council want to keep a well supported premier league club for the long term.
I do think it's impossible that we could get up round the level of support that Saints or Brighton get but unlikely. If we were to stay in the premier league for long enough who knows!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always banged on about our catchment population 450,00 ish) compared to say Burnley. Something I hadn't considered that SDD has ..Transport links! It's quite a boring, awkward drive-in from places like Sherborne/ Shaftsbury etc. It's very different in the more densely populated Brighton area plus their train/bus links. The owners will be aware of that and other market research.
I was surprised recently to find that the vast majority of young people in Devon and Cornwall are indifferent to football whereas 20 years ago they craved it! If that is a similar trend in Dorset..it's another problem!
Id like to think that Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch could fill a 30,000 Stadium in the PL for all games and 15 to 20,000 in the Championship but certain indicators are giving me doubts. Then there are the old chestnuts ' Football town or not'...'Do the town leaders .. and the town want it?'
It's looking increasingly like a disappointment on the horizon!

At this very moment on radio 5 Chelsea fans are moaning about Abramovich and their Stadium issues!

Agree that Reading is the best comparison, I've always stated this. That was based on us going hammer and tongs with each other,yet they built a 20,000 new ground we built a 3 sided shed due to circumstances. Historically probably correct attendance wise.

I know I will get shot down but Southampton is more of a footballing city, you go into the pubs and city pre match and just feel it. Likewise Brighton although less so, just a bigger version than us and rougher around the edges with as you say better links (closer to London) and what could be a decent rail link if Southern Rail weren't running it.

We have so much promise and potential yet I feel its all going to slip through our fingers, hence the frustration most of us feel..

Your right about Soton Red House whether anyone likes it or not! I think Pompey is even more so! When I've been in both places years ago as a neutral( If Boscombe not involved)..it was always the same.
Big difference...larger Working class ratio within the populations...
it's slightly different now with more ' middle class' being brought down a level..so there is hope and potential in Bournemouth being 'football crazy'! Mainly it's Eddie and his players/staff that have brought it closer in the last few years...Others have to back it....that's where we are!
I could cry..when I think of Newcastle or Sunderland city centre pubs on matchdays!

Last edited:
A slight update but nothing to get excited about .These were the plans for the new South Stand submitted in 2016.

https://planning.bournemouth.gov.uk/plandisp.aspx?recno=89281#

I see three months ago Savills sent a letter to the council withdrawing them - I know there was a suggestion that talks may still be ongoing with Structadene but this would appear to confirm that nothing will be happening on the present site and any deal with SD/ expansion has been put to bed.

A slight update but nothing to get excited about .These were the plans for the new South Stand submitted in 2016.

https://planning.bournemouth.gov.uk/plandisp.aspx?recno=89281#

I see three months ago Savills sent a letter to the council withdrawing them - I know there was a suggestion that talks may still be ongoing with Structadene but this would appear to confirm that nothing will be happening on the present site and any deal with SD/ expansion has been put to bed.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. They could resubmit different plans if these no longer match their ambitions couldn't they.

Or does it mean they will be submitting plans later this year as mentioned?

All guess work on our part until we see or hear something ‘concrete’.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. They could resubmit different plans if these no longer match their ambitions couldn't they.

I was trying to look at it as a positive that the club were relocating and tidying up a few loose ends. Why not leave the current plans in situ ? Its the only sign of movement we've seen in the last few months.

I was trying to look at it as a positive that the club were relocating and tidying up a few loose ends. Why not leave the current plans in situ ? Its the only sign of movement we've seen in the last few months.

Hopefully it is a positive. Not that any of us plebs know anything about what's going on.

The original plans for a new south stand were nothing more than a glorified temp stand... Nothing inside and just clad over to make it look nice and appease people...

If something was going to happen re structadene, you can be sure that it would involve a 'proper' stand...

I still believe, just buying back the ground and rebuilding SS and MS would be enough for us... But no one really knows how much SD want...

This is where it began just over two years ago.

Bournemouth chairman Jeff Mostyn says a demand from the club's landlord to increase rent at their Vitality Stadium is "no longer realistic".

The Cherries' 11,450 capacity ground was sold to owners Structadene in 2005 in a sale-and-leaseback deal.

The club have been in negotiations to buy back the ground and have planning permission to expand capacity.

"We're not going to have a gun held to our throat simply because we're a Premier League club," Mostyn said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37044559

I still believe, just buying back the ground and rebuilding SS and MS would be enough for us... But no one really knows how much SD want...

I agree - both in terms of capacity and in terms of a long term commitment to our league status and financial position. Trouble is SD know that too.

I have always felt that the protracted silence was more likely to be a sign of an ongoing poker game with SD.

This is where it began just over two years ago.

Bournemouth chairman Jeff Mostyn says a demand from the club's landlord to increase rent at their Vitality Stadium is "no longer realistic".

The Cherries' 11,450 capacity ground was sold to owners Structadene in 2005 in a sale-and-leaseback deal.

The club have been in negotiations to buy back the ground and have planning permission to expand capacity.

"We're not going to have a gun held to our throat simply because we're a Premier League club," Mostyn said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37044559

I think the BBC have the details wrong in that story. Max's analogy referred to the purchase price rather than the rent. It's unlikely that they can legally increase the rent due to any improvements by the tenants.

He can set whatever asking price he wants when it comes to selling though.

;