New Kings Park Stadium

Tinpot Thinking has to be abandoned right now !
This is Our Time !

Fratton Park in its present delapidated state is already twice the size of DC.

St Mary's is 32, 384. - We need to top that because of who we now are and going to be in the South Coast hierarchy. - so 35,000 if we are also contemplating a life in European competitions.

MK Dons, initially an 'illegal' non-club.. its located in a non-football town and has a 30,500 capacity stadium....allegedly with an expandable potential to 45,000.
It has hosted Rugby World Cup and Women's Internationals . WE could do the same to justify a 35,000 + capacity !

Americans are meant to be Big Thinking people and we are in a South - Central prime position reasonably close to several channel - ferry terminals and airports in close proximity to the European mainland.

At the very least it has to be 25,000 with expandable potential.... surely ?

MK Dons, initially an 'illegal' non-club.. its located in a non-football town and has a 30,500 capacity stadium....allegedly with an expandable potential to 45,000.
It has hosted Rugby World Cup and Women's Internationals . WE could do the same to justify a 35,000 + capacity !
Not sure MK Dons is the best example though. Their average home attendance this season is 6561

Pompey is a very different place to BCP. It is essentially an island with only three vehicular routes and one railway line in and out.
"The latest (ONS mid-2022) estimate of the population of Portsmouth is 208,400. Portsmouth is a compact city covering 40 square kilometres. 75% of the population lives on Portsea Island. Portsmouth is the second most densely populated local authority outside London."
When I lived there in the 1970s it was quite common to read obits in the News of people who had spent their whole lives "on the island".
Very many residents identify very strongly with the football club and are equally proud of both their city and the FC that, to them, represents it, which is why they have maintained high levels of support even while in the lower divisions.
We are more comparable to Saints in terms of the geography of the places and the size and demographics of population over areas with easy access to the football grounds.
When Saints moved from the Dell to St Marys the capacity of their stadium more than doubled from 13,000 to 30,000 and they have maintained 25,000 plus crowds more or less consistently ever since, even when they too dropped down from the PL.
I believe the same would happen with us, which is why I feel that we should aim for an initial capacity of 25,000, and as long as we remain in the PL we would have no difficulty in filling it for every home game. A design which allowed for flexibility in the number of seats we could offer to away fans would allow us to compensate for games against less attractive sides, but ones who would likely to be happy to take a larger number of tickets for their own supporters if necessary.
Championship football is a highly attractive proposition, with more games per season than the PL and I reckon we would still maintain 20,000 plus crowds playing in it.

The capacity of the new stadium is a tricky one to get right in my opinion.

We don't want to build a white elephant (ala MK and Darlington) that is a big burden if we get relegated.

However, on the other hand and to DJ's point, we need to capitalise on the good times now and get the next generations in and hooked forever.

18,500 feels a little too low to me, would have hoped for something more around 22,500 but the absolute key to this is building it with easy expansion if demand outstrips availability.

Pompey have nearly always has good attendances over the years.

Even in their time in League 2 and 1 over the last number of years they had fallen from the top league.

If our club took a similar drop like Pompey have/had, what do you think our average gate would be?

Things may be different now, but over the years the Cherries have had a fickle following, with crowds down to 3,000 and up in the 20,000 + in John Bond’s era in the lower leagues.

I think our owner with his attendance figure for a new stadium is about right.

Last edited:
Feels like history is being rewritten a bit here. On a thread where Portsmouth and Southampton are being bigged up for their attendances in promotion winning/chasing campaigns… why would AFCB not have similar…when we did before?

At the midway point in 2014/15 games weren't selling out. Half season tickets were still available.

You’re undervaluing successful seasons.

They might sell out their ground now, but it’s because they’re doing well.

We sold out our ground in League Two when we were doing well.

They averaged as low as 12,200 when they first dropped to the third tier. That was just 3 years after hosting AC Milan in Europe.

Averages in league 2 last time were 4931 and 5720.

Not sure MK Dons is the best example though. Their average home attendance this season is 6561
I could have cited quite a few others.

I didn't base that on current crowd sizes.
It's all about 'potential' for THIS club.

I could of stressed that Portsmouth usually get figures of around 17,000 for L1 matches.....notwithstanding that the population contains some very strange social cults and an 'island' mentality.
Of course they have a magnificent history compared to their neighbours Saints and Brighton....and mainly operated in leagues above Boscombe through our respective histories.

I could have cited quite a few others.

I didn't base that on current crowd sizes.
It's all about 'potential' for THIS club.

I could of stressed that Portsmouth usually get figures of around 17,000 for L1 matches.....notwithstanding that the population contains some very strange social cults and an 'island' mentality.
Of course they have a magnificent history compared to their neighbours Saints and Brighton....and mainly operated in leagues above Boscombe through our respective histories.
You could have Brian.

The capacity of the new stadium is a tricky one to get right in my opinion.

We don't want to build a white elephant (ala MK and Darlington) that is a big burden if we get relegated.

However, on the other hand and to DJ's point, we need to capitalise on the good times now and get the next generations in and hooked forever.

18,500 feels a little too low to me, would have hoped for something more around 22,500 but the absolute key to this is building it with easy expansion if demand outstrips availability.
I still don't buy this having too much capacity argument. How is having a bigger stadium than needed a burden? Once it's built and paid for it's built and paid for. It's not like the club will have to pay large sums of money to heat empty seats, keep open empty concourses and facilities etc......!!!

I still don't buy this having too much capacity argument. How is having a bigger stadium than needed a burden? Once it's built and paid for it's built and paid for. It's not like the club will have to pay large sums of money to heat empty seats, keep open empty concourses and facilities etc......!!!

They make for awful atmospheres, which can negate demand and make attendances drop further than they would.

18,000 people in an 18,500 capacity stadium make more noise than 18,000 in a 30,000 capacity stadium.

The big stadium reveal is going to be interesting. I've said before if it were me I'd time it to coincide with ST price increase announcement (if that's what they are going to do). Hopefully they've also got a higher initial capacity planned and it was all expectation management. If they announce a 22k ground with the potential of 26.5k then 10% increase in ST prices then people will generally accept it imo.
Big issue is the mix of hospitality vs ST vs match by match tickets. Sounds like we are going for a big hospitality percentage (c18%) so we get bigget receipts from a smaller investment.

Makes sense commercially given the high cost of building a ground but maybe disappointing for many fans eager to see the cherries on a more regular basis.

In this model, would make sense to hike ST a lot higher - say 30% with some cheap freebies (eg free ladies games, exclusive fans forum type events) - to free up more individual seats for occasional fans including overseas. Thus, financial disincentive to have a ST vs buying 19 individual seats.

Question is would many ST release their seats back knowing the points drops are a lottery now? Expect most would renew even with this sort of hike so a ST becomes a VIP status benefit as opposed to an expression of loyalty for a discount.

Gonna be interesting!!

Last edited:

;