New Kings Park Stadium

Never retreat, always advance.

I doubt Bills building a stadium with the niggle in his mind that we may be in League 1 in a few seasons.

That's probably why he is a billionaire.

18,500 is too small however.

All the surveys and people on waiting lists etc have probably made Bill and Co thi k anything bigger could be a risk.

You'd be surprised how many people who haven't filled in a survey or bothered to join any lists, would come out of the woodwork if tickets were freely available, or heaven forbid, pay on the gate!!!

If you're going to go to all the effort of building a new stadium, you'd kick yourself if you underestimated the chances of filling it (as you also would if you over estimated)

18,500 just seems like it's sailing far close to the wind. Surely away support would add maybe 1 or 2000 a game, so that only leaves 5000 more home seats per match.

That's not enough.

Set against that, don't underestimate the effect that easily being able to get tickets of your choice will have on attendances.

Reading would not be averaging 12,900 in League One if they had a 13,000 capacity stadium.

Very true indeed.

I doubt Bills building a stadium with the niggle in his mind that we may be in League 1 in a few seasons.

That's probably why he is a billionaire.

18,500 is too small however.

All the surveys and people on waiting lists etc have probably made Bill and Co thi k anything bigger could be a risk.

You'd be surprised how many people who haven't filled in a survey or bothered to join any lists, would come out of the woodwork if tickets were freely available, or heaven forbid, pay on the gate!!!

If you're going to go to all the effort of building a new stadium, you'd kick yourself if you underestimated the chances of filling it (as you also would if you over estimated)

18,500 just seems like it's sailing far close to the wind. Surely away support would add maybe 1 or 2000 a game, so that only leaves 5000 more home seats per match.

That's not enough.

I think DJ calculated some number where if we increased the percentage of hospitality to match the league average, once away fan allocation is considered it would only add a few thousand "normal" home seats.

I think DJ calculated some number where if we increased the percentage of hospitality to match the league average, once away fan allocation is considered it would only add a few thousand "normal" home seats.
DJ?

Let's hope Jim hasn't got into bed with DJ so they can data mine together.

It really wouldn't surprise me.

This forum is a quarter century representation of a minority of fans, not a mean, median or mode of any data set with regard to AFCB.

Just as an example Brentford have a 17250 capacity (it would have been slightly bigger but the club / developers wanted to finish it quicker ). They have 2930 hospitality seats (they call them premium seats with different packages).

They gained about 3000 'normal' seats over Griffin Park so suspect we'd be around 4000 more in that regard.

Didn't they visit Brentford to look at the ground / facilities perhaps they're basing things on them. The jobsworth stewarding is almost identical in that regard.

Just as an example Brentford have a 17250 capacity (it would have been slightly bigger but the club / developers wanted to finish it quicker ). They have 2930 hospitality seats (they call them premium seats with different packages).

They gained about 3000 'normal' seats over Griffin Park so suspect we'd be around 4000 more in that regard.

Didn't they visit Brentford to look at the ground / facilities perhaps they're basing things on them. The jobsworth stewarding is almost identical in that regard.

Brentford generate a lot of revenue out of a small ground so would be understandable if we copied the model.

At the end of the days it's all rough numbers so it could swing thousands one way or another. It's entire possible that we would have as low as 2,000 extra 'normal' seats or as many as 5,000.

Brentford generate a lot of revenue out of a small ground so would be understandable if we copied the model.

At the end of the days it's all rough numbers so it could swing thousands one way or another. It's entire possible that we would have as low as 2,000 extra 'normal' seats or as many as 5,000.

Interestingly I think their season ticket prices for the hoi polloi are quite low aren't they?

Interestingly I think their season ticket prices for the hoi polloi are quite low aren't they?
From their official website for either 23/24 or 24/25
"band B prices, which make up 57 per cent of all season tickets [*] are: £495 for adults, £135 for juniors and children, £375 for fans 65+ and £330 for fans 18-24. This works out at £26 per game for adults, £7 per game for juniors and children, £20 per game for fans 65+ and £17 per game for fans 18-24. "

[*] notice they say 57% of season tickets not 57% of seats but it is 3 corners and behind both goals so looks a significant part of the stadium.

I wonder if you can actually buy them. That'd be novel.

EDIT: Family area in a similar part of the ground to us is cheaper, Band A and A+ which with away fans covers the whole stadium minus "the dugout" area is £560 and £605 respectively. The dugout blocks are £815

I can also see a situation, with these numbers, where we are still not able to offer any more STs to fans as they club will want increased matchday revenue over ST money...

I know the club have probably done a lot of work on this that we will never know about, but I just think we'll be in a very similar position to what we are now, albeit with a few more folks allowed in.

I was all for an 18-20k capacity, but in my head that didn't include the % of hospitality we seem to be wanting to push. In my head we need room for 18-20k fans... Excluding hospitality...

Last edited:
Something along the lines of
Increase to 18500
Bill wants 20% hospitality=3700
Away allocation is 10%= 1850
Total 5550
18500-5550= 12950
So a rough increase of 4000 additional home fans.
All rough estimates of course

Something along the lines of
Increase to 18500
Bill wants 20% hospitality=3700
Away allocation is 10%= 1850
Total 5550
18500-5550= 12950
So a rough increase of 4000 additional home fans.
All rough estimates of course
They'd have to upgrade their server to cater for increased volumes on Cherries Tuesdays or when they sell the tickets because the ticket site is slow when they don't switch on the 'waiting room' like last time (April 2nd).
They did in the end but I'd brought my ticket (slowly) by then..
I'm sure it's all under control...

DJ?

Let's hope Jim hasn't got into bed with DJ so they can data mine together.

It really wouldn't surprise me.

The irony of this considering my posts over the summer on what I thought about the database use for pre-season friendly demand and how that corresponds to the demand for a new stadium…you’re a little wide of the mark on this one. :)

to big to small?
I assume that's another highlight of a spelling mistake I've made. I'll say it again, I'm dyslexic. I'm 67 years old, I make basic spelling mistakes, spell checkers help but can't prevent me from making all of them. After 60 years of it being highlighted it's still embarassing, I thought on a football fans forum I'd get away with it but obviously not.

To all of you that find it offensive, I apologise but it is what it is. I've learnt to live with it, I hope you can as well. Thanks in advance for your tolerance , we're all A.F.C.B after all : )

Last edited:
I assume that's another highlight of a spelling mistake I've made. I'll say it again, I'm dyslexic. I'm 67 years old, I make basic spelling mistakes, spell checkers help but can't prevent me from making all of them. After 60 years of it being highlighted it's still embarassing, I thought on a football fans forum I'd get away with it but obviously not.

To all of you that find it offensive, I apologies but it is what it is. I've learnt to live with it, I hope you can as well. Thanks in advance for your tolerance , we're all A.F.C.B after all : )
It’s what Zz does. Don’t let it worry you.

Surely the bottom line is the finance. The proposed new ground no doubt meets the Council's planning requirements because the impact of cars coming to the area will be a factor and we know BCP is anti car.There is of course the contingency of an increase in time.

Even allowing for the hospitality aspect, common in sport these days for those who want to pay, will "we" the public in this area fill 18000 seats game in game out other than the big 6? That is of course whilst we are still in the big boys league every season 3 from 11 will go down.

Heads you win tails you lose but we aren't paying the bill.

It’s what Zz does. Don’t let it worry you.

I don't think ZZ will ever 'top' this particular example for pedantry;). I doubt however they mean any malice.

Bollox is it Zz, ZZ or zz ? Stick me on the naughty step.

Anyway back on topic, stadium size. I feel almost guilty for suggesting 18,500 is too small because I'm not paying for it.

;