New Manager Thread

Gary O'Neil seems to be doing a fine job.

We do however need to turn some of these draws into wins.

Clearly as well we are running at very low percentage of the ball against the teams we should be competitive against.

Its O'Neils job to change one or both of those problems.

We either up our percentage of the ball to be nearer the 50 per cent stats, or we need to be absolutely deadly on the counter.

Being unbeaten is all well and good over a 6 game period, but picking up 1 point all the time can see you quickly dragged back into the mire when you lose a few.

The percentage stats against Fulham second half were abysmal, and if we cant finish a game off then its only time before the draws may turn into losses.

The squad does lack some depth, but Rothwell, given his ability to turn defence into attack will hopefully turn the tide in our favour when he is fit, if Oneil is happy to defend and then counter.

V Fulham, second half was mainly defend, and the defense has improved.

So lets see if O'neil can change the style a bit as players like Stanislas, Rothwell and Brooks come back to fitness.

This :clap:

Gary O'Neil seems to be doing a fine job.

We do however need to turn some of these draws into wins.

Clearly as well we are running at very low percentage of the ball against the teams we should be competitive against.

Its O'Neils job to change one or both of those problems.

We either up our percentage of the ball to be nearer the 50 per cent stats, or we need to be absolutely deadly on the counter.

Being unbeaten is all well and good over a 6 game period, but picking up 1 point all the time can see you quickly dragged back into the mire when you lose a few.

The percentage stats against Fulham second half were abysmal, and if we cant finish a game off then its only time before the draws may turn into losses.

The squad does lack some depth, but Rothwell, given his ability to turn defence into attack will hopefully turn the tide in our favour when he is fit, if Oneil is happy to defend and then counter.

V Fulham, second half was mainly defend, and the defense has improved.

So lets see if O'neil can change the style a bit as players like Stanislas, Rothwell and Brooks come back to fitness.

I think with the likes of Rothwell and Stanislas back on the bench , we should have more options attacking wise . GON has totally steadied the ship.
Confidence has grown and we are more competitive .
There are no easy games in this league and I don’t see why this unbeaten run can’t continue against Saints and then West Ham

End of October would be a good time to decide - could go either way for GON
Yeah, maybe to WC break. Get the new owner in and see where it's at. We still have a nice run of games coming up, four of five against teams behind or around us. Six or seven points in that stretch would be very sweet. A Cup win would be gravy.

Am reminder however of our last turn in the PL when we seemed easily headed for staying up until it quickly fell apart. I am hoping that GON - with a healthy bench even if absent Brooksie - will change it up as required. My recollection is Eddie stayed with the same line-up game after game and it didn't work.

Either way, this is feeling a lot more optimistic that I imagined at the beginning of the year. If we pull out all games against the top 6, I think we are tied at the top of the "other 14" race with Brentford and Newcastle (13 points). Have to keep that going for the next calendar month.

Yeah, maybe to WC break. Get the new owner in and see where it's at. We still have a nice run of games coming up, four of five against teams behind or around us. Six or seven points in that stretch would be very sweet. A Cup win would be gravy.

Am reminder however of our last turn in the PL when we seemed easily headed for staying up until it quickly fell apart. I am hoping that GON - with a healthy bench even if absent Brooksie - will change it up as required. My recollection is Eddie stayed with the same line-up game after game and it didn't work.

Either way, this is feeling a lot more optimistic that I imagined at the beginning of the year. If we pull out all games against the top 6, I think we are tied at the top of the "other 14" race with Brentford and Newcastle (13 points). Have to keep that going for the next calendar month.
Personally I think we are a lot harder to predict under GO.
That may partially be due to injuries coming in and out but I do believe that GO has a more flexible approach than EH already. Even when he gets it wrong GO seems to notice it and react. I’m starting to think that we may have inadvertently discovered a gem in GO. I mean, this is his first spell as manager, he’s in the PL, he’s not doing too badly is he and with time he’s sure to improve. I think he’s making an excellent case for himself at the moment, particularly when you see how motivated the players are compared to under Parker. I like the cut of his jib !

A few things about Gary O’Neill stand out for me.

He is intelligent. He is very hard working and focused. He goes into every game with a plan, which he will flex as required. He is able to communicate that plan, and any in-game changes, to the players. They work to those instructions and find that they help them succeed. As a result, they are confident and happy.

Apart from that he’s shite.

A few things about Gary O’Neill stand out for me.

He is intelligent. He is very hard working and focused. He goes into every game with a plan, which he will flex as required. He is able to communicate that plan, and any in-game changes, to the players. They work to those instructions and find that they help them succeed. As a result, they are confident and happy.

Apart from that he’s shite.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
For me, he is what you would hope for from a manager.
When you consider that this is his first spell as a manager and it just so happens to be in one of the top leagues in the world, having inherited a squad devoid of belief, I think he is doing really, really well. The guy has great potential and I would hope that he gets the chance to fulfil it with us and our soon to be new owner !

We average 34% possession in our games .....the lowest in the league by some way......surely theres someone who's more adventurous than this...
We also have the longest unbeaten run in the league.
Why then is possession so important ?
Even with our low possession stats, we've created way more chances than we've scored. You could argue that with sharper finishing we've found THE way to succeed in this league. Penalties not given or given against us aside, with better finishing we could still be near the top of the league with these low possession stats. So why the obsession with possession ( I'm a poet and I was unaware of that fact ) ?

We average 34% possession in our games .....the lowest in the league by some way......surely theres someone who's more adventurous than this...

Remember when Leicester won the League in 2016? From Sky Sports: “Leicester won the title with just 44.8 per cent of possession - only West Brom and Sunderland saw less of the ball.”

There is more than one way of skinning a cat.

We also have the longest unbeaten run in the league.
Why then is possession so important ?
Even with our low possession stats, we've created way more chances than we've scored. You could argue that with sharper finishing we've found THE way to succeed in this league. Penalties not given or given against us aside, with better finishing we could still be near the top of the league with these low possession stats. So why the obsession with possession ( I'm a poet and I was unaware of that fact ) ?
With better finishing any team would be near the top of the table......how many games will we win if we carry on with stats like that.....we're the worst passing team in the league...that can't be right

Remember when Leicester won the League in 2016? From Sky Sports: “Leicester won the title with just 44.8 per cent of possession - only West Brom and Sunderland saw less of the ball.”

There is more than one way of skinning a cat.
I'd give my right arm for 44% even forest are close to that .....we're miles off.

Wasn't happy with Parker after he got us promoted out of one of the hardest league's in the world to the Prem.

Now complaining we're not adventurous enough under a caretaker manager who's unbeaten in the PL after 6 games.

All this after losing to that horrible northern team 9-0, you really are priceless!

Not sure where you're finding that figure from, but using BBC's stats its 37.66%, not loads better but accurate to my source.

34 v Wolves
47 v Forest
28 v Newcastle
42 v Brentford
44 v Leicester
31 v Fulham

;