New Old Cherry

Wtf are you babbling about ? .I'm 73 ...born 16/10/1950....so 11 years old in April 1962

11 + 62 = 73

I saw 1 game at the end of 60-61 season v Halifax.... when still 10 years old. First game.

Season 61-62 I saw about 10 of the games including Portsmouth and the 0-3 FA Cup game v Margate...and the away games at Pompey and Reading.

Season 62-63 I saw ALL the Boscombe fixtures at home plus Reading and QPR away.

Every season then up until 66-67 inclusive I was at DC for every single game...plus several aways.

Thereafter when not at sea with the Navy I got to around half the games each season up until 2015....
(During the period 1980 to 83 I lived in Hull and saw many of Boscombe's away games in the North....and a few at DC when down visiting family .)

I think thats a fairly strong case for being a Cherry !

Ok my bad- in your post above you said you were a Cherry of 62 years vintage so I presumed that was your age but I clearly should've known that you were in fact 73 and a man of much more vast experience than that of a 62 year old.

Did you ever have a soft spot for another club when you were younger?
Derek mentioned Wolves.

Last edited:
Moving this from the Fulham matchday thread is OTT. Get a bloody grip of yourself.

Just trying to find the balance between those who want to actually discuss football on the match day thread and those who want to discuss a personality on a football forum.

The vast majority want to do the former rather than the latter and thus I spend far too much time trying to tidy threads up than I hoped when we experimented with this thread.

It’s a shame someone believes them having their repetitive say and trying to “disrupt” the forum is more important than anyone else.

Just trying to find the balance between those who want to actually discuss football on the match day thread and those who want to discuss a personality on a football forum.

The vast majority want to do the former rather than the latter and thus I spend far too much time trying to tidy threads up than I hoped when we experimented with this thread.

It’s a shame someone believes them having their repetitive say and trying to “disrupt” the forum is more important than anyone else.
It was at least on topic, unlike some of the arguments that go on for days on end.

It was at least on topic, unlike some of the arguments that go on for days on end.

Your one individual post, easily could have stayed and in isolation it would have done. It’s just everything else around it with the complaints why that post was moved as well. Ultimately though it’s not like the posts have been deleted, they’ve just been moved so the match thread can discuss… the match.

Ok my bad- in your post above you said you were a Cherry of 62 years vintage so I presumed that was your age but I clearly should've known that you were in fact 73 and a man of much more vast experience than that of a 62 year old.

Did you ever have a soft spot for another club when you were younger?
Derek mentioned Wolves.
Yeah that's ok Vlad..no sweat ..

..soft spots for Ipswich and Burnley...because they had both won the old First Division title as small clubs....when I was first interested in Football...and I hated the Elitism even then !

Wolves ?..no never...I'm indifferent regarding them...I prefer West Brom their hated neighbours ..but yes a soft spot for O'Neil their manager.... because he kept us from relegation after the Parker debacle !

Moving this from the Fulham matchday thread is OTT. Get a bloody grip of yourself.
Yeah...but I didn't move it though..someone else did..bloody annoying eh ?

Other posters go far further off topic than me and into boring attritional long bitchy argument sagas and get away with it ..

Last edited:
Other posters go far further off topic than me and into boring attritional long bitchy argument sagas and get away with it ..

In the main what you consider as “boring attritional long bitchy argument sagas” are actually on topic or a related topic where the conversation has naturally evolved involving multiple users.

You, by your own admission, want to disrupt a thread, rant about whatever you want to rant about because you don’t like this “flawed medium”. It’s selfish, that’s why your posts get moved to this thread, because the alternative is to just remove them… like I see you’ve now done yourself to many posts on this thread.

In the main what you consider as “boring attritional long bitchy argument sagas” are actually on topic or a related topic where the conversation has naturally evolved involving multiple users.

You, by your own admission, want to disrupt a thread, rant about whatever you want to rant about because you don’t like this “flawed medium”. It’s selfish, that’s why your posts get moved to this thread, because the alternative is to just remove them… like I see you’ve now done yourself to many posts on this thread.
Why don't you just let things be as they are DJ?

You complain it takes all your time and energy and poor me.....DJ, the forum guy just trying to make everyone happy.

Why don't you stop trying to be GOD, let things flow as they naturally do, and keep your fingers off of threads without merging them.

Narcissists control things.

Forums are organic, and each post will live and die a natural life, it'll be responded to if it needs to, and if nobody responds, it'll fade away.

Your control mechanisms have elevated Brian to a thread that would have died a natural death, had you not made a new thread for him.

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Narcissism is the only thing shining through here, and it ain't Brians.

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Ultimately I’ve tried to avoid having to suspend NOC’s account due to multiple breaking of the T&C and guidelines and avoid the breakdown of the forum.

People want to use the forum as it’s designed, having threads on topics so people know what they are going to read etc.

This isn’t a woe is me angle. It’s a complaint because I do want to leave the forum alone in the main, it is the best way and what I’ve always tended to do. The odd tidy up here or there is good and keeps a happy medium.

I don’t expect you to agree because I don’t expect everyone to agree, because that’s impossible. It’s just trying to find a balance, which isn’t always achievable.

Ultimately I’ve tried to avoid having to suspend NOC’s account due to multiple breaking of the T&C and guidelines and avoid the breakdown of the forum.

People want to use the forum as it’s designed, having threads on topics so people know what they are going to read etc.

This isn’t a woe is me angle. It’s a complaint because I do want to leave the forum alone in the main, it is the best way and what I’ve always tended to do. The odd tidy up here or there is good and keeps a happy medium.

I don’t expect you to agree because I don’t expect everyone to agree, because that’s impossible. It’s just trying to find a balance, which isn’t always achievable.

I disagree.

By merging threads, I've often found that 'people know what they are going to read' is the polar opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

Merging threads that YOU think should be merged, leaves the poster having no idea where what they posted is.

Surely the common sense approach, would be to leave things as they are?

We don't need a school teacher here, we are all adults.

I disagree.

By merging threads, I've often found that 'people know what they are going to read' is the polar opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

Merging threads that YOU think should be merged, leaves the poster having no idea where what they posted is.

Fully appreciate that, as I say, I know everyone won’t agree and I do now merge a “historical thread” a bit slower than before to try and find a way of things working better.

The aim is to not have multiple threads on the same topic, at the same time, splitting posts across two threads.

An example of this could be the Joe Rothwell threads, obviously there was a Joe Rothwell thread. Then a new one pops up with his move to Southampton. So I left it.

Then Rothwell scores for Southampton yesterday and the original Rothwell thread is posted on. So I merged the two threads at that point, making sure the conversation flows as the threads didn’t overlap at the time.

It’s not perfect, but many prefer that to having multiple threads on the same topic.

There are other obnoxious young b@stards that you leave alone !!!
The cliques that continually bully other posters !

Last edited:
Fully appreciate that, as I say, I know everyone won’t agree and I do now merge thread a “historical thread” a bit slower than before to try and find a way of things working better.

The aim is to not have multiple threads on the same topic, at the same time, splitting posts across two threads.

An example of this could be the Joe Rothwell threads, obviously there was a Joe Rothwell thread. Then a new one pops up with his move to Southampton. So I left it.

Then Rothwell scores for Southampton yesterday and the original Rothwell thread is posted on. So I merged the two threads at that point, making sure the conversation flows as the threads didn’t overlap at the time.

It’s not perfect, but many prefer that to having multiple threads on the same topic.
Some threads on the same topic are not necessarily discussing the same thing.

For example a Ryan Fraser thread in 2017, would be completely different to a Ryan Fraser thread in 2023.

Same topic, but different emotions.

They would however be merged by yourself, without understanding the differing emotions behind the same topic.

I am generally more interested in making people laugh tbh as opposed to causing mayhem.
Maybe that's gone off the tracks a bit !

Last edited:

;