New PL spending rules

Don't forget there will still be the 85% of turnover rule so clubs like us will still have to know their place and not try to compete too hard.

According to Sky Sports News, Aston Villa, Manchester City and Manchester United voted against whilst Chelsea abstained.

No surprise at some of the teams who voted against .

As it probably means they cannot pay the silly wage meaning players won’t come to them .

Got to get it through the AGM.

Will 14 clubs need to approve ?

Last edited:
Don't forget there will still be the 85% of turnover rule so clubs like us will still have to know their place and not try to compete too hard.

Clubs in Europe will have to stick to 75% to keep UEFA happy.

It’s also all accounted for annually rather than the current 3 year cycle.

Will make things particularly difficult for anyone winning promotion from next season. Unless there’s going to be a caveat for that.

Last edited:
Let's pretend for a minute that table's a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to this sort of thing. Could someone do a "Janet and John" type explanation of what effect this will have on us : )

If it levels the playing field a bit for us and pisses of clubs like the Manchester twins, I'm very much in favour of it.
If it doesn't negatively impact us but upsets the "Super duper six or seven", I think I can tolerate it : )
If it in anyway makes things worse for us, it's obviously awful and heads should roll : (

I need to know where to set my emotion-o-meter between last minute winner at White Hart Lane and last kick loser at the Emirates
: )

There are two sets of new rules. This one has no impact on us as things stand now. However, what it does mean is that as the Self-important Six try to grab an ever bigger share of the tv money in addition to their Champions League money about to shoot up, they won't be able to spend it. If they want to spend more they'll need to ensure the clubs near the bottom get more rather than less. Which goes against everything they've tried to do for the last 20+ years so is an interesting development.

However, that's on the proviso that this rule hangs around for a number of seasons because, as it stands, none of them are particularly affected by it right now. Apart from probably Chelsea.

The other new rule where clubs are only able to spend 85% of their turnover will very much impact a club like us if we're in the 'investment' stage of the cycle in trying to build the club up. It'll make it harder for clubs to move between the groups in the PL and could stratify the division even further as the years go on. There will always be outliers but in general.

However, a lot will depend on implementation, punishments, any watering down etc.

Our revenue for 2022/23 was £143 million.

Under the new rules for 2025 we can only spend 85% of all revenues on player-related costs, which include transfer fees, agents fees and wages.

In 2022/23 we spent £127.5m net on transfer fees, £16million on agents and £100 million on wages.

Our revenue for 2022/23 was £143 million.

Under the new rules for 2025 we can only spend 85% of all revenues on player-related costs, which include transfer fees, agents fees and wages.

In 2022/23 we spent £127.5m net on transfer fees, £16million on agents and £100 million on wages.
Like Mr table, I am confused, very. (although he liked the above! Why? How does this make what is proposed clearer?

The question I would ask is: Is this a good idea?

Like Mr table, I am confused, very. (although he liked the above! Why? How does this make what is proposed clearer?

The question I would ask is: Is this a good idea?

Basically, we’d be restricted on transfer fees to be paid (if we don’t sell to counter balance) and we shouldn’t be spending £16million on agent fees.

Interesting that Villa voted against it. Are they the new West Ham with delusions of grandeur?

May be something about that kit colour combination.

But it's the 85% rule that will stop that, not this one. Unless they become one of the biggest clubs in the world over the next five years, this won't impact them.

Explains why Aston Villa voted against as they are currently in the worst “shape” and will need to cut some budgets or get creative with some accounting.

Man City are well under the threshold, but of course there’s questions over how creative their accounts are.

Whilst we are over the threshold, we’re not miles over. If we restrict transfers fees for new players, or sell players we’ll be fine. That’s the crux, fiddling around the edges won’t make a dent in things.

Whilst we are over the threshold, we’re not miles over. If we restrict transfers fees for new players, or sell players we’ll be fine. That’s the crux, fiddling around the edges won’t make a dent in things.

Looking at the accounts comparisons…

So for example, we click our fingers and we have our sparkling new Brentford-a-like stadium.

Match day revenue could increase by £7million. Commercial could also increase by £7million.

It still wouldn’t add up to a Hamed Traore transfer fee, plus his £2.3 wages or whatever cut of the £16million spent on player agents that Traore’s agent took.

;