Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Can AFCB Remain Unbeaten Against Eddie’s Magpies?

The Cherries suffered their first defeat at Craven Cottage against Fulham after an eight game unbeaten run against Fulham since the 20th April 1992. It wasn’t a good afternoon for our travelling fans. They will be hoping for better things when our team travel up to the North East for our second away trip in a row. They will be playing at St James’ Park against Newcastle United on Saturday at 3 pm. A round trip of just under 700 miles, but even with the long journey, it’s one of the favourite venues for our travelling fans.
The Cherries so far have an unbeaten record against Eddie in the league since he became the Magpies manager, with one win and two draws.

The win was at Dean Court last November. Since that defeat, United have had three home wins, Chelsea 4-1, Manchester United 1-0 and Fulham 3-0. They then lost against Nottingham Forest 1-3, which finished a seven home game unbeaten run. They then had Manchester City and that finished 2-3, two home defeats in a row. Last home game was a 4-4 draw with Luton Town. Newcastle United have taken 25 points at home in their twelve games. They are joint fourth highest scorers with 29 goals, equal with Manchester City who have played one less game.

Away from home since their defeat at Dean Court, the Magpies have beaten Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest, these were their most recent away games. They have lost against Everton, Spurs, Luton Town and Liverpool. Newcastle United’s away record has let them down, in their twelve away games they have taken 11 points.

The last time the Cherries visited St James’ Park in the league, was in the September 2022. The game finished all square in a 1-1 draw. Both goals came in a five minute second half period. Philip Billing opened the scoring in the 62nd minute, but five minutes later, Alexander Isak equalised from the penalty spot after Jefferson Lerma hand ball.
His side did beat us in the League Cup at St James’ Park three months after the league game, with an Adam Smith own goal.

In all our away league games against Newcastle United, AFCB have W 2, D1, L 3.
All competitions, AFCB have W 5, D 6, L 7.

Newcastle United Team News
Sandro Tonali is on a long suspension. On the injury front, Joelinton, Matt Targett, Nick Pope, Elliot Anderson, Joe Willock and leading scorer Alexander Isak. There is a slight doubt over Callum Wilson, who has yet to face his former club in the league.

Newcastle United Player To Watch
Bruno Guimaraes had a good game against Nottingham Forest and was MOM. He also scored two goals. In his last four league games he has scored two and assisted two. Kieran Trippier leads with ten assists, three in his last three games, plus a goal.

AFCB Team News
No news on any new injury concerns.

AFCB Player To Watch
Dominic Solanke is due a goal, his record this season of not going beyond two games without a league goal. He also scored a brace against Eddie Howe’s team at home.

The Referee
Michael Salisbury is in charge. He was the referee for our home game with Arsenal.

Last edited:
It's a game we haven't lost for a while, but feel we may lose this one badly.

The team has no rhythm and no vibe.

3-2 to the Geordies here is my guess.

Never like to bet against us, but not feeling this one.

It may well expose our lack of fluidity.

Text from Newcastle supporting mate

Newcastle v Bournemouth next Sat
Wilson with his usual injury right before the cherries game so he never has to play them
The usual Newcastle Bournemouth draw incoming
Howe and mad dog remain loyal

I’ve looked at the last 4 league games for Newcastle. These were two home games (Man C and Luton) and away at Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest. Newcastle gained 7 points although the xGs suggest this was an overachievement with 4 being more likely. Newcastle have scored 12 goals and conceded 10 with xG estimating 6.81 goals with 8.32 conceded; the +5 overachievement in goals scored in the last 4 games is one of the highest I’ve seen in doing the previews.

Goals xG.png

Newcastle have had 7 different goal scorers, the leading one being Schar with 3 from centre-back, followed by Guimaraes and Longstaff with 2 each. Trippier has 3 assists, Guimaraes 2 and five others have 1 assist each.

The average positions of the starting line-ups are below. Newcastle often look to leave one man high, even against Manchester City. Against Luton at home, which may be most relevant to AFCB, Trippier pushed high from right full back with a fairly congested centre of the park, although this could be wingers swapping sides.

Av pos.png

The following graph compares summary stats of Newcastle and AFCB over the last 4 games. Newcastle have scored a lot more goals but the underlying attempts, big chances and xG are more comparable. Newcastle have conceded 1 more, but the underlying data suggests this should be more.

Comparison.png

Both teams have low possession stats (around 45%). Surprisingly, AFCB have created a higher percentage of chances from set plays with the percentage of chances conceded from open place being slightly higher for Newcastle.

Percentages.png

There's been a dramatic dip in form...this happens at most clubs in a season...
...all that is needed now is one good snap result...a draw or win at Newcastle....or a draw at home to MC...and we are back on it...without that it becomes more difficult.....but a Win will come in the next four or five games because they know what they've achieved in that form run before Xmas....it sort of boils down to the lot of a mid- table team....
.....that is our Comfort Zone Go To...
...Be There !

Ryan Goes To Newcastle

It’s Monday morning, and Ryan is with his friends eating porridge behind the Dean Court bike sheds.

“Olhe playmates!” Captain Neto cried , “Here come dee Mr Iraola!”.

See the Paella.

“Everybodee out!” shouted Mr Iraola “it ees time for tryning!”

“Ach great!” said Ryan. “I love getting’ oot on the grass, where I can practice ma dribblin’ skills!”

Ryan is good at dribbling.

Do you know anyone who dribbles?

New Old Cherry does.

“Come on chums” says Ryan, skipping merrily out of the door with his friends Lewis, Marcos and Marcus. “Are ye comin’ oot as well Ilya?”

“Tak” says Ilya.

That’s Ukranian for “yes”.

What a funny language.

Ryan thinks Ilya should undergo a course in conversational English.
Just like Toronto John.

When the playmates have assembled out on the grass, Mr Iraola calls them . “Gadder round” he says. “I have somesing verrry impotent to say!”

“Oh what fun! Que divertido!” says Captain Neto, rubbing his great big gloved hands together, “this is just like we do on Match Days. Bags I give the motivational speech! Eu me sinto tão grande sendo capitão!”

See the confused look on Ilya’s face.

“No, no ,no” says Mr Iraola, “This is seriouuuus. Saturday was no good, no good! I want to give you eendividuaal instroocthions on how you must play to give better performance lavells in our big game against Newcastle”.

Ryan looks serious for a moment. He knows he must listen closely to what Mr Iraola wants to say. See his throbbing temple and laser- focused eyes.

Ryan also knows he is an important player for Bournemouth.
Do you know anyone who is maybe not as important as they think they are?

Reality and Realism does.

Mr Iraola takes each player aside and tells them what to they must do improve their performance lavels, and prepare for the big game next weekend. His instructions are many and varied.

To Marcus for example, he says “Marcoos, last Saturday you were shite. You must not be shite this Saturday.”

To Lewis he says “Lewis, last Saturday you were shite. I do not want you to be shite this Saturday. And coot out zee slippy-slidy-bum-wiggle!”

“Crivens-and-a-fried-Mars-bar!” thinks Ryan. “This is geein me the boke! What’s he gayin' to say to me? Because truly, I think I really was shite at Fulham!”

See his nobbly knees a-knocking.

“Ryan” says Mr Iraola “Eye think on Satorday you must forkus on your shooting yes?”

Ryan is confused. “Shooting boss?” says Ryan. “I dinna ken?”

“Yes, shooting” insists Mr Iraola. “I tell you what I mean. You see that great big white net at the end of the field?”. See Mr Iraola pointing at the goal.

“Aye” says Ryan. “That’s Captain Neto’s playpen is’nae it?”

“No no no” says Mr Iraola. “Zis is ze goal Ryan. And when you get the ball near the opponent’s penalty box, I want you to try to kick it into the goal!”

“Crivvens an shoot-me-a-Capercaillee!” exclaims Ryan. “Surely yer bum’s oot the windae! I’ve nae doon that afore Mr Iraola! You sure ah should’na be burying it in Row ZA like I normally dae?”

“No no” says Mr Iraola. “For ze good of zee team, and ze plesoor of your fanz, you must try to put the ball in the net!”

“Well fry me a Bounty Bar” says Ryan. “But Mr Iraola – dinnae fash yersel. I'll get ma gool agin’ the toon. You see!”

So fellow Cherry fans, we can all sleep soundly on Friday, knowing our beloved Ryan will bollux another chance high into the Leazes Stand.

UTCIAD :utc:

Ryan Goes To Newcastle

It’s Monday morning, and Ryan is with his friends eating porridge behind the Dean Court bike sheds.

See the Paella.

“Ach great!” said Ryan. “I love getting’ oot on the grass, where I can practice ma dribblin’ skills!”

New Old Cherry does.

“Come on chums” says Ryan, skipping merrily out of the door with his friends Lewis, Marcos and Marcus. “Are ye comin’ oot as well Ilya?”

“Tak” says Ilya.

What a funny language.

Just like Toronto John.

When the playmates have assembled out on the grass, Mr Iraola calls them . “Gadder round” he says. “I have somesing verrry impotent to say!”

“Oh what fun! Que divertido!” says Captain Neto, rubbing his great big gloved hands together, “this is just like we do on Match Days. Bags I give the motivational speech! Eu me sinto tão grande sendo capitão!”

“No, no ,no” says Mr Iraola, “This is seriouuuus. Saturday was no good, no good! I want to give you eendividuaal instroocthions on how you must play to give better performance lavells in our big game against Newcastle”.

Ryan looks serious for a moment. He knows he must listen closely to what Mr Iraola wants to say. See his throbbing temple and laser- focused eyes.

Mr Iraola takes each player aside and tells them what to they must do improve their performance lavels, and prepare for the big game next weekend. His instructions are many and varied.

To Marcus for example, he says “Marcoos, last Saturday you were shite. You must not be shite this Saturday.”

To Lewis he says “Lewis, last Saturday you were shite. I do not want you to be shite this Saturday. And coot out zee slippy-slidy-bum-wiggle!”

“Crivens-and-a-fried-Mars-bar!” thinks Ryan. “This is geein me the boke! What’s he gayin' to say to me? Because truly, I think I really was shite at Fulham!”

“Ryan” says Mr Iraola “Eye think on Satorday you must forkus on your shooting yes?”

“Yes, shooting” insists Mr Iraola. “I tell you what I mean. You see that great big white net at the end of the field?”. See Mr Iraola pointing at the goal.

“No no no” says Mr Iraola. “Zis is ze goal Ryan. And when you get the ball near the opponent’s penalty box, I want you to try to kick it into the goal!”

“Crivvens an shoot-me-a-Capercaillee!” exclaims Ryan. “Surely yer bum’s oot the windae! I’ve nae doon that afore Mr Iraola! You sure ah should’na be burying it in Row ZA like I normally dae?”

“No no” says Mr Iraola. “For ze good of zee team, and ze plesoor of your fanz, you must try to put the ball in the net!”

“Well fry me a Bounty Bar” says Ryan. “But Mr Iraola – dinnae fash yersel. I'll get ma gool agin’ the toon. You see!”

So fellow Cherry fans, we can all sleep soundly on Friday, knowing our beloved Ryan will bollux another chance high into the Leazes Stand.

He's playing for them up the road, or am I missing somethin? Most likely.

Can AFCB Remain Unbeaten Against Eddie’s Magpies?

The Cherries suffered their first defeat at Craven Cottage against Fulham after an eight game unbeaten run against Fulham since the 20th April 1992. It wasn’t a good afternoon for our travelling fans. They will be hoping for better things when our team travel up to the North East for our second away trip in a row. They will be playing at St James’ Park against Newcastle United on Saturday at 3 pm. A round trip of just under 700 miles, but even with the long journey, it’s one of the favourite venues for our travelling fans.
The Cherries so far have an unbeaten record against Eddie in the league since he became the Magpies manager, with one win and two draws.

The win was at Dean Court last November. Since that defeat, United have had three home wins, Chelsea 4-1, Manchester United 1-0 and Fulham 3-0. They then lost against Nottingham Forest 1-3, which finished a seven home game unbeaten run. They then had Manchester City and that finished 2-3, two home defeats in a row. Last home game was a 4-4 draw with Luton Town. Newcastle United have taken 25 points at home in their twelve games. They are joint fourth highest scorers with 29 goals, equal with Manchester City who have played one less game.

Away from home since their defeat at Dean Court, the Magpies have beaten Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest, these were their most recent away games. They have lost against Everton, Spurs, Luton Town and Liverpool. Newcastle United’s away record has let them down, in their twelve away games they have taken 11 points.

The last time the Cherries visited St James’ Park in the league, was in the September 2022. The game finished all square in a 1-1 draw. Both goals came in a five minute second half period. Philip Billing opened the scoring in the 62nd minute, but five minutes later, Alexander Isak equalised from the penalty spot after Jefferson Lerma hand ball.
His side did beat us in the League Cup at St James’ Park three months after the league game, with an Adam Smith own goal.

In all our away league games against Newcastle United, AFCB have W 2, D1, L 3.
All competitions, AFCB have W 5, D 6, L 7.

Newcastle United Team News
Sandro Tonali is on a long suspension. On the injury front, Joe Linton, Matt Targett, Nick Pope, Elliot Anderson, Joe Willock and leading scorer Alexander Isak. There is a slight doubt over Callum Wilson, who has yet to face his former club in the league.

Newcastle United Player To Watch
Bruno Guimaraes had a good game against Nottingham Forest and was MOM. He also scored two goals. In his last four league games he has scored two and assisted two. Kieran Trippier leads with ten assists, three in his last three games, plus a goal.

AFCB Team News
No news on any new injury concerns.

AFCB Player To Watch
Dominic Solanke is due a goal, his record this season of not going beyond two games without a league goal. He also scored a brace against Eddie Howe’s team at home.

The Referee
Michael Salisbury is in charge. He was the referee for our home game with Arsenal.
Is your rebranding of Joelinton to Joe Linton an attempt to keep the couple xenophobes on the forum happy. ;)

Went into last few games on top of the world only to be disappointed. With reduced expectations, perhaps it's a time for a positive surprise?

Very winnable game, they are not the side they were last season. Their midfield is easy to play through and their back line lacks pace, their best player (Isak) should be out as well. If Luton can outplay them and get a point then we should be looking to at least match that.

Ryan Goes To Newcastle

See the Paella.

New Old Cherry does.

“Tak” says Ilya.

What a funny language.

Just like Toronto John.

Is Andoni half German?

;