Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth

'More comfortable/enjoy discussing the old records that used to be played pre match at Dean Court in the 80s/earky 90s, that virtually no one else could stand or had heard before... anywhere.'

Where is that thread?

Hope everyone is back safe and well. I also hope you all enjoyed the day/weekend up there. Very friendly welcoming people, no worries about trundling the Good Lady around (although it is a bit hilly and they seem to get steeper each season). One of the few clubs that don't appear surprised when a minibus full of wheelchair users turn up : )

Also thanks to Fish for their input this week in the build up, even though we weren't able to utilise any of it : )

The pa was way toooo loud prematch. What's with the "ah wah the flags "? Loads of them around the ground, waved as the teams come out, then asked to return them at halftime. All we get are red dusters with no flag poles : )

And what was with the 10 minutes of extra time? Then finishing it bang on 10 mins, with us having a corner, no way that happens up their end : )

All in all a bit of an endurance test but one we enjoy and are glad to have survived : )

Let’s blame a player every game for goals concede shall we?…believe it or not ALL goals come from some sort of mistake by an opposing player?
Fair enough criticise general play but panning Cook for their equaliser is pure stupidity and shows how some on here don’t know poo
Although I have a tendency to look for a culprit on occasion, I totally agree.

If Neto had been the gk for the first goal I would have been apoplectic, and yet because it was us, I put it down to great pressing!

Joys of being a biased football supporter I guess.

Lazy defending to pull the shirt.
The ref and assistant clearly and obviously call the offside.

VAR then take 5 minutes to over rule the officials

VAR operated by PGMOL has opened a can of worms for applying the laws fairly and consistently

Last edited:
Lazy defending to pull the short.
The ref and assistant clearly and obviously call the offside.

VAR then take 5 minutes to over rule the officials

VAR operated by PGMOL has opened a can of worms for applying the laws fairly and consistently

Hasn't it been established that this was the correct decision based on the rules as they currently stand? Ludicrous as they may be it's not like they can change them mid match.

I don't think I'll get over that penalty decision.
I cannot fathom it, there's no logical path that results in a penalty being given, it takes some serious mental gymnastics and frankly ignoring the events that lead up to it.
The argument is that he's not offside because he's not yet interfering with play, so the foul is happening while the ball is dead, there's the first problem. The referee needs to break up anything like that just as they are meant to from a corner kick.
There are very few places the ball can be kicked where he's not going to be committing an offside offence, once the ball is kicked in his direction then he's offside, that offence is committed as soon as the ball is kicked, that's before they're even in the box, how is there possibly a moment when that offence is not committed and the foul for shirt pulling is given? It would have to be when the ball is still in contact with the takers foot, i.e. when they're outside the box.
At best I can see the justification for a free kick just outside the box, to justify a penalty the argument becomes a paradox.

I don't think I'll get over that penalty decision.
I cannot fathom it, there's no logical path that results in a penalty being given, it takes some serious mental gymnastics and frankly ignoring the events that lead up to it.
The argument is that he's not offside because he's not yet interfering with play, so the foul is happening while the ball is dead, there's the first problem. The referee needs to break up anything like that just as they are meant to from a corner kick.
There are very few places the ball can be kicked where he's not going to be committing an offside offence, once the ball is kicked in his direction then he's offside, that offence is committed as soon as the ball is kicked, that's before they're even in the box, how is there possibly a moment when that offence is not committed and the foul for shirt pulling is given? It would have to be when the ball is still in contact with the takers foot, i.e. when they're outside the box.
At best I can see the justification for a free kick just outside the box, to justify a penalty the argument becomes a paradox.

It is ludicrous but the scenario is also very specifically mentioned in the laws of the game so it has at least been considered...

"a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence"

There may be something in your last point though, two laws going up against each other.

In my opinion though the most stupid part of all of it is the decision to pull someone's short so blatantly in the VAR era. Poor decision making.

Waiting for Howard Webb to explain how the process worked well.

As quoted above, that exact scenario is mentioned in Law 11 and the instructions are for it to be treated as if the foul occurs before the offside. What exactly do you think the officials got wrong?

IFAB FAQs ....

A player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled in the penalty area before playing the ball or challenging an opponent for the ball. What is the referee's decision?

It is a penalty kick. The foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence.

The referee was at fault for not dealing with the melee prior to letting the kick be taken, this happens all the time when corners are taken, the referee has to deal with it to prevent this sort of thing. So I think they've taken that mistake and compounded it by awarding a penalty. It is refereeing by committee and selective decision making.

"before playing the ball or challenging an opponent for the ball."

was he not (perhaps) already challenging an opponent for the ball?

I don't think so, when you read the IFAB advice in full or the FA law 11 they both clearly state that this is a situation where the player is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing it. In my opinion there's absolutely no doubt about the law being applied incorrectly in this case - the law is absolutely ridiculous obviously but it is very clear that their intention was for situations like that on Saturday to be given as a pen.

The referee was at fault for not dealing with the melee prior to letting the kick be taken, this happens all the time when corners are taken, the referee has to deal with it to prevent this sort of thing. So I think they've taken that mistake and compounded it by awarding a penalty. It is refereeing by committee and selective decision making.

No, Smith is at fault for the foul not the ref. It's not the ref's job to prevent players from doing silly things.

I’ve looked at it every which way and it’s a nonsense.

The only consolation I have in my head is I think they’d have equalised anyway at some point.

It's so odd. They've clearly considered this exact scenario and decided that it should be a penalty and clarified it in the laws.... but why? Is there anyone who thinks this scenario should be a pen other than whoever decided to write that part of the laws?

Smithy..for all his great legendary work he has done for Boscombe....he is now fast becoming a liability in this league, with his desperation antics as his career reaches the twilight zone.

;