Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth

While we are all debating the Rse off their penalty no-one seems to have mentioned the catastrophic failure of a 6'3" defender to stop a cross reaching 5'8" Matt Ritchie by falling over like Bambi on ice gifting them their second equaliser of the day.

While we are all debating the Rse off their penalty no-one seems to have mentioned the catastrophic failure of a 6'3" defender to stop a cross reaching 5'8" Matt Ritchie by falling over like Bambi on ice gifting them their second equaliser of the day.
I'm a little on the fence about blaming players for slipping, to an extent it is one of those things that can happen without it being your fault. Of course he may have been slightly out of position and trying to correct it and slipped, there is that argument.

If you headbutt someone in the box while the ball is dead then it's not a penalty. You can get a red card, but that's it. It's a free kick either for offside or for the shirt pull, a penalty just doesn't make sense, particularly when the bit of short being pulled is let go before it crosses the line.
Everyone knows he didn't need to go down then, he's pulled to get himself into the box and there's no reason to go down other than to win a foul. He could easily have stayed on his feet.

I would have liked to see more footage of when Solanke burst into the box and was bundled over by three of their players, that wasn't even looked at by VAR though.

I'm a little on the fence about blaming players for slipping, to an extent it is one of those things that can happen without it being your fault. Of course he may have been slightly out of position and trying to correct it and slipped, there is that argument.
I agree if it was a genuine slip but I'm pretty certain he didn't so much as slip more he just fell over. I will have to watch it again to be fair.

I think this is where I am a little in disbelief because, Smith as stupid as it was, fouled a player in a manor that is almost “accepted” in dead ball situations. I get head butting a player, slide tackling off the ball, and other stuff like that but a shirt pull? Just makes no sense, especially as it started outside the box. Yes I know if it continues in the box but at some point he is surely then considered offisde ie when the foul occurred.

Yeah as I said to red_house I think it's the nature of the foul that makes it feel so unjust. I reckon the specific clause was written with more serious types of fouls in mind but unfortunately it doesn't say that.

Ref Watch this morning on SSN, the penalty was the first thing they reviewed. Dermot Gallagher admitted he didn't understand it so had to ask for clarification from PGMOL before going on the show. All four members of the show agreed it was a nonsense call and then cracked up laughing. Can't imagine them laughing about it if it had happened to one of the big clubs though.

Is this clip what you're referring to?

Tbf we got a goal from an even worse slip up so can hardly feel hard done by.

Is this clip what you're referring to?
Richard Keys (yes I know.) called it "completely unfathomable"

I don’t know what’s worse, getting that penalty against us, or having to agree with that numpty Richard Keys. Both are intolerable. :eek!:

The ludicrous part was Smith grabbing his shirt!
In todays football where there are numerous camera angles it was a stupid thing to do on the edge of the penalty area…
It was not even a sneaky quick tug which often goes unpunished it was a tight hold to stop a player from attacking the ball
If he had left it then the guy is offside end of story

;